15297 57 2023-11-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ian in London
First Officer
Flight distance : 8330187 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI have just updated the RC2 firmware which imposes a 120m altitude limit for EU flyers, but also allows users to remove the hard 120m by clicking a button, removing the C0 sticker and uploading a photo, thus declassifying the Mini 4 Pro from being C0.

As I see it though, the EASA website actually offers the full flying permissions of a C0 drone to all unclassified models with a MTOM of less than 250 gms, which would include the Mini 4 Pro
So surely it makes sense for people in the EU to declassify their Mini 4 Pro before the end of the year to get keep full range of flight whilst also keeping the same permissions for a C0 drone?  

2023-11-1
Use props
Steph Jant
lvl.4
Flight distance : 152329 ft
United Kingdom

Good summary. I must admit I don’t see the problem with having this ceiling if flying in the EU. Yes there will be people who want to fly their drone up the side of a mountain maintaining 120m AGL. But I can guarantee - and would be prepared to make a large bet - that it is almost impossible for someone to ‘judge’ if their drone is at or below 120m AGL when flying up a mountain side with the drone a few hundred metres away from the take off position. The only way you could come close to doing this superhuman feat would be to map out your flight in advance using waypoints and compare the planned flight path with a topographical map and then adjust the height of the drone based on the contours shown on the map. But I doubt it would be accurate enough to maintain 120m AGL.  
2023-11-1
Use props
Ian in London
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Steph Jant Posted at 11-1 00:58
Good summary. I must admit I don’t see the problem with having this ceiling if flying in the EU. Yes there will be people who want to fly their drone up the side of a mountain maintaining 120m AGL. But I can guarantee - and would be prepared to make a large bet - that it is almost impossible for someone to ‘judge’ if their drone is at or below 120m AGL when flying up a mountain side with the drone a few hundred metres away from the take off position. The only way you could come close to doing this superhuman feat would be to map out your flight in advance using waypoints and compare the planned flight path with a topographical map and then adjust the height of the drone based on the contours shown on the map. But I doubt it would be accurate enough to maintain 120m AGL.

I think it's more about staying way closer to the ground than 120m, but still needing to gain more height from take-off point than 120m...    I have done this in Wales, and kept to around 20 - 30 metres above ground but was over 150m higher than take off point.
2023-11-1
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Is the hard 120m ceiling relative to the take off point applicable to the UK? I believe not but that so many UK pilots are discussing this makes me wonder.
If not it might be interesting to see what happens around the border between Eire and N. Ireland.
2023-11-1
Use props
djiuser_eZSWPdv9RvpD
lvl.1
Flight distance : 233058 ft
Poland

Note that, at least, Mini 3 Pro has MTOM higher than 250g.

MTOM includes accessories, larger batteries, etc.

This is official position of my local authority.

I suggest you verify this with authorities in places where you want to fly without category.
2023-11-1
Use props
Giorgos Stathis
lvl.2
Flight distance : 174993 ft

Greece

I believe we should have the option to certify the Mini 4 as C1 so we can also buy the Plus battery. I don't understand why we only have the option to remove the C0 category or keep it.
2023-11-1
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ian in London Posted at 11-1 01:04
I think it's more about staying way closer to the ground than 120m, but still needing to gain more height from take-off point than 120m...    I have done this in Wales, and kept to around 20 - 30 metres above ground but was over 150m higher than take off point.

I agree with you on that
2023-11-1
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Giorgos Stathis Posted at 11-1 01:52
I believe we should have the option to certify the Mini 4 as C1 so we can also buy the Plus battery. I don't understand why we only have the option to remove the C0 category or keep it.

Philip Bloom was hinting at that coming next year.  
2023-11-1
Use props
Steph Jant
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Fair point. But I know some drone pilots boast they can judge when their drone is 120m AGL even when some distance away from take off position
2023-11-1
Use props
MS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 54469 ft
United States

It seems they forgot to use common sense when coming up with the rule. i.e. being able to fly up to sides of hills/mountains.
2023-11-1
Use props
Steph Jant
lvl.4
United Kingdom

One other thought. Is there not a big downside for EU drone pilots who declassify their drones (or for Brits who travel to the EU before Jan 24 and declassify)? According to DJI once declassified the Mini 4 Pro cannot be flown in A1 environments. That means the Mini 4 Pro cannot be flown close to people or buildings. It would have the same restrictions as the Air 3.   If I lived in the EU I would not declassify my drone because it’s more important for me to take off in a built up area close to people than it is to fly above 120m
2023-11-1
Use props
Ian in London
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Steph Jant Posted at 11-1 12:33
One other thought. Is there not a big downside for EU drone pilots who declassify their drones (or for Brits who travel to the EU before Jan 24 and declassify)? According to DJI once declassified the Mini 4 Pro cannot be flown in A1 environments. That means the Mini 4 Pro cannot be flown close to people or buildings. It would have the same restrictions as the Air 3.   If I lived in the EU I would not declassify my drone because it’s more important for me to take off in a built up area close to people than it is to fly above 120m

No, the EASA website has a clear text for legacy drones after 1 Jan 2024:
After 1 January 2024, you can still fly your drone without class identification labels, however, only under the following subcategories of operation, for which you have to fully comply with:

Subcategory A1 when the drone’s maximum take-off weight (MTOM)  is less than 250 g; or
Subcategory A3 when the drone’s maximum take-off weight is less than 25 kg.
You will not need to apply any retrofit/sticker to the drone in subcategories A1 or A3.  

https://www.easa.europa.eu/en/th ... %E2%80%99-category-
2023-11-2
Use props
SeehawerB
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5414203 ft
  • >>>
Germany

... and if DJI will offer a C1 label for the M4P you will be able to fly with the plus battery in full compliance.
2023-11-2
Use props
djiuser_TRzxZ4bm2ZiS
lvl.4
Flight distance : 525279 ft
Denmark

Steph Jant Posted at 11-1 12:33
One other thought. Is there not a big downside for EU drone pilots who declassify their drones (or for Brits who travel to the EU before Jan 24 and declassify)? According to DJI once declassified the Mini 4 Pro cannot be flown in A1 environments. That means the Mini 4 Pro cannot be flown close to people or buildings. It would have the same restrictions as the Air 3.   If I lived in the EU I would not declassify my drone because it’s more important for me to take off in a built up area close to people than it is to fly above 120m

The Air 3 is C1-labeled. It is perfectly legal to fly near people or short/unexpected over people.

2023-11-2
Use props
Giorgos Stathis
lvl.2
Flight distance : 174993 ft

Greece

SeehawerB Posted at 11-2 01:00
... and if DJI will offer a C1 label for the M4P you will be able to fly with the plus battery in full compliance.

I totally agree. I mentioned the same in a post above.
2023-11-2
Use props
Steph Jant
lvl.4
United Kingdom

djiuser_TRzxZ4bm2ZiS Posted at 11-2 01:07
The Air 3 is C1-labeled. It is perfectly legal to fly near people or short/unexpected over people.

[view_image]

But as Ian in London says in his video (6:25) if EU drone pilots declassify their drones they cannot then launch their M4P in a built up area. That was one of the points I was making in my earlier post.  And I’m sure I read somewhere that you are not supposed to launch the Air 3 within 50m of an uninvolved person. So a declassified M4P would have to observe the same restriction???
2023-11-2
Use props
Ian in London
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Steph Jant Posted at 11-2 10:52
But as Ian in London says in his video (6:25) if EU drone pilots declassify their drones they cannot then launch their M4P in a built up area. That was one of the points I was making in my earlier post.  And I’m sure I read somewhere that you are not supposed to launch the Air 3 within 50m of an uninvolved person. So a declassified M4P would have to observe the same restriction???

This was a wrong point; re-reading through the EASA webpages, you CAN fly after 2024 with an unclassified drone...  So it actually makes sense to do this if you live in the EU

2023-11-2
Use props
Steph Jant
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Ian in London Posted at 11-2 11:30
This was a wrong point; re-reading through the EASA webpages, you CAN fly after 2024 with an unclassified drone...  So it actually makes sense to do this if you live in the EU
https://youtu.be/DY8edZJGlJ8

Thanks Ian
2023-11-2
Use props
trainee
lvl.4
Flight distance : 124469 ft
United Kingdom

DJI's note about this talks about applying to transfer to a new Specific sub-category but according to the CAA, all Specific sub-categories require the applicant to hold a General VLOS Certificate (GVC) which costs £££ to get. I'm waiting for more detail on this before rushing to apply in th UK.
2023-11-2
Use props
Mavic57Minis
First Officer
Flight distance : 3772247 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ian in London Posted at 11-2 11:30
https://youtu.be/DY8edZJGlJ8

Great video's and the correction in the 2nd. My question to you Ian, "are you going to declassify your Mini4Pro ?". I know you travel to Malta ? The reason I ask is as I travel to Norway a few times each year, I am contemplating declassifying, flying up the crevice between mountains the drone is soon at 120 metres altitude from take off point, but well within 120 metres from the ground below it.

I am off to northern Norway at the end of the year, I'm going to wait a few weeks before I commit.

2023-11-3
Use props
trainee
lvl.4
Flight distance : 124469 ft
United Kingdom

I don't think you need to declassify before the year end. As long as you bought your drone before the cut-off date I think you can choose to declassify next year. But be aware that you lose some concessions by abandoning C0 - in the UK at least where the rules are now different from the EASA regs. Contrary to what has been said elsewhere, I believe you will lose the concession to fly close to people in the UK - and you also lose the option for under 16s to pilot.  I'm also concerned about DJI's notice about declassification which seems to say that you will be switched to a new "Specific" category - but the CAA demands more training qualifications from pilots in the Specific categories.
2023-11-4
Use props
simmoji
lvl.2
Flight distance : 11634 ft
Australia

Could do. In Australia we have to keep a horizontal 30m away from people - so vertical distance doesn't matter. Impractical of course at height.

2023-11-4
Use props
roligtroll
lvl.2
Flight distance : 42421 ft
Israel

Can the drone be declassified while one is outside of Europe? I plan to visit there next year then it will be too late to declassify.
2023-11-6
Use props
djiuser_d3Bi7bZgYQga
lvl.3

United States

This should apply to usa as well, correct?
2023-11-7
Use props
Mark184
lvl.1

United States

roligtroll Posted at 11-6 05:57
Can the drone be declassified while one is outside of Europe? I plan to visit there next year then it will be too late to declassify.

Curious about this too.  
2023-11-13
Use props
Bine
lvl.1
Slovenia

Hello All,
newbie here, so please be patient with me.
I’m wondering if declassification of Mini 4 Pro means that there will be no available upgrades in the future?
2023-11-14
Use props
DAXimus
lvl.1
Flight distance : 698320 ft
United States

roligtroll Posted at 11-6 05:57
Can the drone be declassified while one is outside of Europe? I plan to visit there next year then it will be too late to declassify.

No. It must be done in EASA / EU Region.
2023-11-16
Use props
DAXimus
lvl.1
United States

Interestingly enough, in chatting with DJI support yet again, three different personnel have verified that:
1. For a Mini 4 Pro purchased before Dec 31st 2023 if you declassify the drone, the replacements provided to you via care refresh will also be delivered declassified.

In my opinion, this is a no brainer if you live in EU.
I see no disadvantages of removal of C0 and declassifying the drone. Worst case, maybe some orientation online for other classifications.
What are you thoughts?
2023-11-16
Use props
Bine
lvl.1
Slovenia

I don’t know if new firmware will be available for declassified drones?
2023-11-16
Use props
DAXimus
lvl.1
United States

Bine Posted at 11-16 11:04
I don’t know if new firmware will be available for declassified drones?

Yes DJI confirmed declassified drones will receive all firmware updates.
2023-11-17
Use props
travelmate
lvl.4
Flight distance : 414865 ft
Bulgaria

DAXimus Posted at 11-16 07:15
Interestingly enough, in chatting with DJI support yet again, three different personnel have verified that:
1. For a Mini 4 Pro purchased before Dec 31st 2023 if you declassify the drone, the replacements provided to you via care refresh will also be delivered declassified.

I'm on the way to buy M4P and sure declassify, my thoughts I have A1/A3 certificate, on the drone is written with big letters 249g, I'm not sure any police officer around will be so competent to check both 249g and class label, I think long time 249gr mark will be enough, also old drones have only 249g mark, so  drone fan police officer can recognize the m4P or you can say its an old 2022 model it ahs the 249g on it
2023-11-20
Use props
djiuser_3k8JTLTtkJcv
New

Bulgaria

Hi, after declassifying the drone, will the software have restrictions in allowing it to take off in cities and urban areas?
2023-12-15
Use props
Mavic57Minis
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_3k8JTLTtkJcv Posted at 12-15 05:40
Hi, after declassifying the drone, will the software have restrictions in allowing it to take off in cities and urban areas?

No, its a sub 250g drone.
2023-12-15
Use props
djiuser_3k8JTLTtkJcv
New

Bulgaria

perfect thank you for clarifying
2023-12-15
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Good video!
2023-12-19
Use props
wombatomba
lvl.2
Flight distance : 89288 ft
United Kingdom

I'm trying (and so far failing) to get clarification from DJI as to whether it will be possible to declassify during 2024, given that I purchased and activated my Mini 4 Pro during 2023 in the UK (where the menu option is not visible).

My first EASA flight (within EU) will be during 2024.

The wording on their blog (https://viewpoints.dji.com/blog/dji-mini-series-altitude-limit-eu) states: "...Mini 4 Pro users who bought their drone before 1 January 2024 with a C0 label7 and who wish to fly higher than 120 meters from take-off point beyond 31 December 2023 can follow our Step by Step Guide below..."

So, according to their wording, I would fully expect to be able to declassify my 2023 drone when it is flown in EASA airspace during 2024.
2023-12-28
Use props
BlackDev
lvl.1
Germany

So, DJI has removed the point in the "risk reminder" saying that your mini 4 pro can continue to fly in A1 if you remove the classification before 31st of December 2023. All that is left now is the statement:

> "After January 1, 2024, once the C0 label is removed (without Cxlabel), the aircraft can only fly under specific category (by applying for flight authorization through SORA) and are no longer allowed to fly in A1 environments"

Any idea why they removed it? Will I actually still be able to use the Mini 4 Pro in A1 if I declassify it today or tomorrow?

@DJI Gamora  can you shine some light on this? Why was this statement removed from the declassification process. And will I, from DJI side, still be able to fly my mini 4 pro in A1 if I remove the classification tomorrow?

2023-12-28
Use props
wombatomba
lvl.2
Flight distance : 89288 ft
United Kingdom

FYI, when I was on chat with DJI support today, I got the following not-very-helpful statement about 3 possible scenarios (none of which answered my question):

"...
1. For those ones who has removed the C0 label in 2023, there is only one chance to have C1 label.
2. For those ones who do not remove the C0 label in 2023, there will be chances to keep the C0 label with the 120m restriction, and chances to apply for C1 label after 2024 (while the prcedure TBC).
3. For those ones who purchase Mini 4 Pro in 2024, there will be non-removable mandatory category identification label. But, this model supports to apply for C1 and flying more than 120m in 2024.
..."

Also, the similarly ambiguous:
"...
As for now, you can request removal/declassification when you fly on EASA in 2023. As for 2024, will update you on the DJI Newsroom.
..."

It seems that although the EASA regulations (and Ian and other YouTuber's videos) seem to be clear, that removing the C0 classification results in a 2023 Mini 4 Pro becoming a sub-250g "legacy" drone, DJI don't seem to be able to answer the simple question of whether those who purchased (and perhaps activated) their Mini 4 Pro during 2023 will still be able to declassify during 2024 (when they are located inside EASA region).

The DJI support person said they would personally write to the "relevant team" to get an answer; I suggested they should update their blog post, to clarify/confirm the current wording which states that those who purchased in 2023 should be able to declassify during 2024.
2023-12-28
Use props
Mavic57Minis
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

wombatomba Posted at 12-28 10:03
FYI, when I was on chat with DJI support today, I got the following not-very-helpful statement about 3 possible scenarios (none of which answered my question):

"...
Flying to an EU country tomorrow from the UK, first job will be to declassify my Mini4pro.

I will still have a <250g drone with all the freedom a <250g drone has in the UK and Europe just like my Mini3pro has, Happy days.

A few days later I hope to be flying my Mini4pro legally up the slope of mountains with a 500m maximum height setting available. It wil be a lot less due to keeping VLOS.
2023-12-28
Use props
Mavic57Minis
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Mavic57Minis Posted at 12-28 10:29
Flying to an EU country tomorrow from the UK, first job will be to declassify my Mini4pro.

I will still have a

Drone declassified.

Started drone and controller, before sat locked max alt 500m.
At 14 Sat's the max height changed to 120m and a "Request for change appeared".
Clicked and went through the process.
Restated drone and controller, Altitude now adjustable tp 500m, just like in the UK.
2023-12-30
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules