12Next >
1566 43 2023-11-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Louis Riel
lvl.3
Flight distance : 123563 ft

New Zealand

The drone "knows" the windspeed and direction at all times by working the controls to compensate.
Are there any drone controllers that are able to display that information on the screen during flight?
2023-11-4
Use props
Hoarfrost
lvl.4
Flight distance : 705974 ft
Canada

The RC Plus controller for my Matrice 30 drone shows this and I find it very useful - strength and heading. I wish my other drone controllers did this - but it's possible that the extra computation power necessary to calculate it based on the drone's reaction to the wind is beyond the capabilities of the cheaper controllers.
2023-11-4
Use props
Drone.Hunter
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4537612 ft
Kazakhstan

Hoarfrost Posted at 11-4 21:12
The RC Plus controller for my Matrice 30 drone shows this and I find it very useful - strength and heading. I wish my other drone controllers did this - but it's possible that the extra computation power necessary to calculate it based on the drone's reaction to the wind is beyond the capabilities of the cheaper controllers.

The Drone calculates this, and the remote control just needs to display it on the screen.
2023-11-4
Use props
Sam654
lvl.3
Flight distance : 132667 ft

United Kingdom

The best clue you have on the M3P is the artificial horizon on the compass view. If it tilts to one side while hovering, it is compensating for wind from that direction. To get a good idea of the direction, yaw toward the wind until it levels out and you are heading the wind. The amount of tilt will give some idea of speed.
This isn't going to give you exact figures, but you will have some idea.
2023-11-5
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12260774 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Sam654 Posted at 11-5 02:38
The best clue you have on the M3P is the artificial horizon on the compass view. If it tilts to one side while hovering, it is compensating for wind from that direction. To get a good idea of the direction, yaw toward the wind until it levels out and you are heading the wind. The amount of tilt will give some idea of speed.

yes, level attitude = head or tail wind....

Heavy wind in this flight, only 2 m/s speed in normal mode with 38 degrees pitch down.....

cheers
JJB
StrongWndAhead.png
StrongWndRight.png
StrongWndRight .png
2023-11-5
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Sam654 Posted at 11-5 02:38

You should know the direction of the wind, just from being there and feeling it, seeing its effect on trees, water etc.
The best indication is the speed shown on the screen.
Know what your drone's normal max speed is and you can easily tell if and how much any headwind is affecting the drone.
2023-11-5
Use props
No Original Thought
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1364209 ft
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 11-5 04:43
You should know the direction of the wind, just from being there and feeling it, seeing its effect on trees, water etc.
Know what your drone's normal max speed is and you can easily tell if and how much any headwind is affecting the drone.

Although the wind at even just a couple of dozen metres can be very different to the wind at ground level in both direction and strength.

Wind at ground level can be seriously affected by topology of the surrounding land, buildings, trees etc - anything that can reflect, deflect or funnel the wind.
2023-11-5
Use props
DuRavary
lvl.4
Flight distance : 125135 ft
France

If I wanted a decent wind speed and direction indicator for my boat it would cost more than my Mini 3 Pro did. Sometimes I think that people are so focussed on  wanting more from their mini drone and fail to see what amazing things it can actually do.
2023-11-5
Use props
nOxxxx
Second Officer
Flight distance : 80646017 ft
Poland

DuRavary Posted at 11-5 07:43
If I wanted a decent wind speed and direction indicator for my boat it would cost more than my Mini 3 Pro did. Sometimes I think that people are so focussed on  wanting more from their mini drone and fail to see what amazing things it can actually do.

The ATTI mode is ideal for accurately measuring wind speed and direction. Find out how to turn it on instead of one of the three currently available ones. This is a great upgrade to the M3P drone.
2023-11-5
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

No Original Thought Posted at 11-5 05:03
Although the wind at even just a couple of dozen metres can be very different to the wind at ground level in both direction and strength.

Wind at ground level can be seriously affected by topology of the surrounding land, buildings, trees etc - anything that can reflect, deflect or funnel the wind.

You make it sound like wind is a great mystery .... but it's not.
2023-11-5
Use props
DuRavary
lvl.4
Flight distance : 125135 ft
France

nOxxxx Posted at 11-5 10:49
The ATTI mode is ideal for accurately measuring wind speed and direction. Find out how to turn it on instead of one of the three currently available ones. This is a great upgrade to the M3P drone.

A good marine wind speed and direction indicator might be expensive but I don’t need one. After literally a lifetime’s experience of sailing I’m perfectly able to make accurate estimations of both. Knowing the exact strength and direction exactly where my drone is is of little interest to me, it’s GPS positioning is so accurate it’s something that can be ignored. One carry over from my sailing experience that is probably useful when drone flying is that it will be harder and use more energy  to move the drone upwind than down.
2023-11-5
Use props
Hoarfrost
lvl.4
Flight distance : 705974 ft
Canada

Drone.Hunter Posted at 11-4 23:29
The Drone calculates this, and the remote control just needs to display it on the screen.

Thanks for the clarification. I guess it's the drone then that has to have more powerful processing then?
2023-11-5
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

nOxxxx Posted at 11-5 10:49
The ATTI mode is ideal for accurately measuring wind speed and direction. Find out how to turn it on instead of one of the three currently available ones. This is a great upgrade to the M3P drone.

Its a Mini, they do not have user selectable Atti mode
2023-11-5
Use props
Potato mini
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7275348 ft
United States

2023-11-5
Use props
No Original Thought
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 11-5 12:00
You make it sound like wind is a great mystery .... but it's not.

Not at all, but it can be a suprise.

Many a pilot has been caught out by last minute wind shear on final approach.

I have flown at a number of airfields where there were specific warnings about this.

And you only have to look at the number of posts on here from people who flew their drones because it was calm at ground level only to find trouble 20m high. (I had a similar situation myself early days where I didn't think I was going to be able to get the drone home as it was fighting wind that I could not feel at all at ground level. it turns out that I was sheltered where I was because of the specific geography of where I was by a river. Sport mode got the drone home, and as I walked home I realised that the wind had picked up significantly, it was just not reaching where I was flying from (in a bit of a dip).

No mystery, but too many variables.
2023-11-6
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

No Original Thought Posted at 11-6 01:28
Not at all, but it can be a suprise.

Many a pilot has been caught out by last minute wind shear on final approach.

Too many fliers with too little experience.

2023-11-6
Use props
djiuser_d3Bi7bZgYQga
lvl.3

United States

Labroides Posted at 11-5 04:43

But it's nice to see wind speed & direction on rc
2023-11-6
Use props
No Original Thought
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 11-6 02:36
Too many fliers with too little experience.

22 years qualified fixed wing pilot here. That's a bit of experience with weather for flying.

And one thing you learn pretty quickly is that the weather can and will catch you out at some point.

Wind can be particularly tricky, forget or dismiss that fact at your peril. With a drone you might just lose your drone, if you are ok board the stakes are a bit higher so manned aircraft pilots tend to take a bit more notice of these facts. I guess your comments just prove my point.

2023-11-6
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

No Original Thought Posted at 11-6 14:46
22 years qualified fixed wing pilot here. That's a bit of experience with weather for flying.

And one thing you learn pretty quickly is that the weather can and will catch you out at some point.

I guess your comments just prove my point.
Your comments only prove that you have no idea at all about my drone experience or understanding of flying in wind.
2023-11-6
Use props
No Original Thought
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 11-6 15:41
I guess your comments just prove my point.
Your comments only prove that you have no idea at all about my drone experience or understanding of flying in wind.
And I don't care about that experience either. It doesn't make you right.

Wind catches people out.

Wind is different in both strength and directions at different altitudes.

Your comment stated that you do not need any wind forecast or status information because you know everything that there is to know about the wind by being there on the ground which is simply incorrect.

(But you never accept when you are incorrect. You repeatedly making blanket, dismissive comments on other people's posts then argue black is white to defend that statement. Experience does not prevent you from being an idiot, sadly. Oh, and in anticipation of your reply, I only mentioned my experience because you questioned it. That experience doesn't make me right, it just so happens that I am right on this occasion and you are wrong, or at best misleading.)
2023-11-7
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

No Original Thought Posted at 11-7 00:47
And I don't care about that experience either. It doesn't make you right.

Wind catches people out.

Your comment stated that you do not need any wind forecast or status information because you know everything that there is to know about the wind by being there on the ground which is simply incorrect.
Now you are just trolling in your characteristic ignorant fashion.
I didn't say that at all.

I only mentioned my experience because you questioned it. That  experience doesn't make me right, it just so happens that I am right on  this occasion and you are wrong, or at best misleading.)
Correct .. That experience doesn't make you right.
Flying a plane that goes much higher, faster and further than a toy drone is vastly different.
Your plane experience can't be directly translateed to drone flying.

Get lost troll.
2023-11-7
Use props
No Original Thought
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 11-7 01:33
Now you are just trolling in your characteristic ignorant fashion.
I didn't say that at all.

Wow... this is soo boring. I don't know why I bother as stupid doesn't know it's stupid and you can't teach stupid.

But here goes:

Labroids @ 04:43 on 11-5:
"You should know the direction of the wind, just from being there and feeling it, seeing its effect on trees, water etc."

This was in response to the OP asking for wind status information from the drone to be displayed on the controller.

So, yes you did say that. It's there for everyone to see.

Oh, and go look up the real definition of trolling. I don't pick you up on your errors just to be mischievious. I do it because you always talk with such authority even when you are wrong. You are not always wrong, and you often actually give useful information, but this just makes your arrogance even more dangerous because some people will just take you at your word - even when you are spouting over-generalised, opinionated nonsense. So I'll continue to pick you up on that when I can be bothered.

Oh, and one final point. If you note my comments about wind sheer on final approach... the effects are worst at low levels which is precisely where what you call toy drones fly! That's why it is so dangerous - you have no height to recover from its effects!
2023-11-7
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

No Original Thought Posted at 11-7 08:55
Wow... this is soo boring. I don't know why I bother as stupid doesn't know it's stupid and you can't teach stupid.

But here goes:

Troll
Two other members expressed the same ideas that I did, but you only berate me.
I stick with what I wrote based on ten times more experience of drone flying than you have.

2023-11-7
Use props
No Original Thought
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 11-7 12:43
Troll
Two other members expressed the same ideas that I did, but you only berate me.
I stick with what I wrote based on ten times more experience of drone flying than you have.

As I said, experience doesn't make me right, and it doesn't make you right either.

It's simple fact that the wind you feel on the ground is not necessarily the wind at height - including drone flight height.

Looking at trees etc also does not give you the full picture. Again fact, not opinion.

You may have the opinion that showing the wind speed and direction is of no use to a pilot. That's opinion. I disagree, I like to have as much info as possible so I agree with the OP as I would be interested in that info. But I also respect that your opinion is different.

However what I object to is your blanket statement that you don't need to know the wind aloft because you know the wind on the ground.

(You made a similar snidey comment in another thread about using 'stupid apps' to know the weather forecast. Forecasts by definition attempt to tell you what you cannot know by direct observation. That's what they are for. But that's another discussion.)
2023-11-9
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

No Original Thought Posted at 11-9 15:06
As I said, experience doesn't make me right, and it doesn't make you right either.

It's simple fact that the wind you feel on the ground is not necessarily the wind at height - including drone flight height.

So it's fine for you to tell me that I'm wrong, but I can't express an opinion, that's based on having more experience than you'll ever get?
You display an amazing combination of ignorance and arrogance.

Get lost troll
2023-11-9
Use props
No Original Thought
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 11-9 17:36
So it's fine for you to tell me that I'm wrong, but I can't express an opinion, that's based on having more experience than you'll ever get?
You display an amazing combination of ignorance and arrogance.

Your comprehension of English isn't great is it?

What I said was that you are, of course, entitled to an opinion. As am I. And we are entitled to expressbthose opinions. And those opinions may well differ In polite society those differences of opinion can be debated without resorting to name calling.

Again, as I said, what I object to is you presenting falsehoods as facts. Facts are not negotiable, though a lot of people present opinion as fact and then argue the toss, but they are still actually arguing their opinion.

Opinions are not facts. (And that is a fact as well!)

Opinions differ. Facts do not, something either is or isn't.

What you said isn't true and therefore isn't a fact. You do not know what the wind is aloft from your observation point on the ground. Fact. (Unless you have a remote probe in the location you wish to measure the wind in - you knowz something like a drone that relays that information back to the RC screen!)
2023-11-10
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

No Original Thought Posted at 11-10 01:22
Your comprehension of English isn't great is it?

What I said was that you are, of course, entitled to an opinion. As am I. And we are entitled to expressbthose opinions. And those opinions may well differ In polite society those differences of opinion can be debated without resorting to name calling.

You do not know what the wind is aloft from your observation point on  the ground. Fact. (Unless you have a remote probe in the location you  wish to measure the wind in - you knowz something like a drone that  relays that information back to the RC screen!)
You're just an uninformed blowhard.
If you read my initial post on the matter, instead of rushing to troll, it explained what you are saying I have no way of knowing.

You're the Dunning-Kruger effect personified.
Despite knowing  very little about drone flying with wind, you take it on your ignorant self to declare the advice offered by someone with 10 times more experience than you'll ever have is falsehood.
But your timid imaginings are the only truth !

Get lost troll
2023-11-10
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

What was the subject of this thread?
2023-11-10
Use props
No Original Thought
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 11-10 05:22
You do not know what the wind is aloft from your observation point on  the ground. Fact. (Unless you have a remote probe in the location you  wish to measure the wind in - you knowz something like a drone that  relays that information back to the RC screen!)
You're just an uninformed blowhard.
If you read my initial post on the matter, instead of rushing to troll, it explained what you are saying I have no way of knowing.

Except I'm not commenting on drine flying. I am commenting on your statements about weather observation which are incorrect.

Someone who has never flown a drone in their life can have knowledge about weather observation - in fact I'd suggest most meteorologists have no drone flying experience.

But your 10 x more experience (actually about 7 times judging by the forum stats which is all you have to go on regarding my experience) means you are the expert.

It would be funny if it weren't so annoying.

And I'll say it again, your experience doesn't make you right.

To quote Richard Feynman, "It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong."
2023-11-10
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Flight distance : 4726654 ft
Latvia

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 11-10 05:55
What was the subject of this thread?

I don't know either but it's fascinating
2023-11-10
Use props
Potato mini
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7275348 ft
United States

LV_Forestry Posted at 11-10 08:49

LOL

___
2023-11-10
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

LV_Forestry Posted at 11-10 08:49

lol
2023-11-10
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

No Original Thought Posted at 11-10 08:40
Except I'm not commenting on drine flying. I am commenting on your statements about weather observation which are incorrect.

Someone who has never flown a drone in their life can have knowledge about weather observation - in fact I'd suggest most meteorologists have no drone flying experience.

But your 10 x more experience (actually about 7 times judging by the forum stats which is all you have to go on regarding my experience) means you are the expert.
Hey genius ... the number that you guess shows my experience has stayed the same since the last time I synched data - years ago.
But just for you, I did a little arithmetic.
In almost nine years of flying DJI, I've clocked up 3000 km on the Mavic 3, 6500 km with Phantoms using DJI Go/Go 4 and 1000 km in Litchi and mapping programs.
That comes to a grand total of 10500 km or in forum language, more than 34 million feet.

Like a previous poster, I have a pretty good understanding of how wind behaves because I've been sailing since I was a kid.
I cruised a yacht around the SW Pacific for 4 years and continue sailing years later.
Most of my drone flying is in windy conditions.
I know what I'm talking about.

But a pig ignorant troll with very little understanding, who is convinced that wind is too mysterious for anyone to know, that wind shear can get your drone at any time, that the wind 20 metres up can be completely different and all sorts of other bonkers scary things,  ... that uninformed idiot keeps telling me that I can't possibly know what I'm talking about, and that I'm wrong about everything

I know it's a difficult concept for your limited intellect to deal with, but there are some people who know even more than you do.

You're a pathetic troll.
Get lost

2023-11-10
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Any one else asked a mod to step into this thread or reported various posts?
2023-11-10
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Latvia

2023-11-10
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Lol
Oh that lead me to a Fred Dibnah video

Today H&S regs would take 1/2 to gear up before you could even start the ladder climb lol, can you imagine what his hand shake must have been like??????
2023-11-10
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Latvia

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 11-10 15:06
Lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKPApAsJbj4

Amazing.  Was it a challenge?  or just a demolition technique?
2023-11-11
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4009 ft
Australia

I think we should have a poll on the subject...
2023-11-11
Use props
No Original Thought
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 11-10 15:06
Lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKPApAsJbj4

I was a massive fan of Fred when I was a kid and caught a clip of him on TV a few weeks ago.

You are 100% right, there is no way he'd be allowed to work now like he did back then. At least not in the UK.

But he didn't die from a fall from a chimney, and in fact was quoted as saying "I never fell off a big chimney, you only fall off them once"!

It was bowel cancer that got him back in 2004 - he was only 66. A life 'taking risks' like that and it was cancer...

(My mum interviewed him in the early 90s for a talking magazine (I bet that's a podcast now....) and said he was just as nice a fella as he seemed on TV.)
2023-11-11
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

LV_Forestry Posted at 11-11 00:34
Amazing.  Was it a challenge?  or just a demolition technique?

Technique I think, at a guess there were too many buildings around to risk toppling it.
He felled chimneys by toppling in other videos. Holes were cut in an appropriate area of the base and wooden props inserted to keep the chimneys /buildings standing.
When all was ready a fire was started around those wooden props and once they burnt through the chimney toppled.
He was also a steam engine fan.
2023-11-11
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules