Learned hard lesson warned about in manual-water landings
1397 10 2015-9-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
garrylane2
lvl.1

United States

About 5 feet from shore, 2 feet above the surface my new P3 decided that the nice sandy bottom was the ground and it suddenly dropped down into the water. Completely submerged but responded to my up command and rose just above the surface then sank again. Don't make such a stupid, expensive mistake as I did. Over clear water the sensors don't "see" the water surface. Manual warned that. Stupid mistake. Good lesson. Ordering new one.
2015-9-6
Use props
Nicholas Rønsho
lvl.3

Denmark

what ? did it drop because of the VPS ?
2015-9-6
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8139875 ft
United States

Always disable bps above water
2015-9-6
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Too bad it wasn't BPS, instead of VPS.

B=Buoyancy, it stays afloat
P=Pure for https://www.csdw.org/csdw/pur-packet-technology.shtml
S=Safe, Sure, just dry and fly...

RedHotPoker
2015-9-6
Use props
jimcloud74
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1298317 ft
United States

It didn't decide it was ground. vps on is fine over water. I do it all the time.
2015-9-6
Use props
garrylane2
lvl.1

United States

Nicholas Rønsho Posted at 2015-9-6 17:04
what ? did it drop because of the VPS ?

I assume that's why it dropped. There may be another explanation but I'm not sure. Plenty of GPS satellites. It had plenty of battery left  so it wasn't doing an automated landing. I'll study the manual again. Did not know I should have turned off VPS.
2015-9-6
Use props
jimcloud74
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1298317 ft
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2015-9-6 18:03
Too bad it wasn't BPS, instead of VPS.

B=Buoyancy, it stays afloat

Red. You should invent that. P3 with VPS and BPS!
2015-9-6
Use props
Rocket_Aus
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1526929 ft
Australia

Mate have your tried drying it in a box of rice & new battery?
2015-9-6
Use props
garrylane2
lvl.1

United States

It was in fresh water for about 20 seconds. Immediately pulled the battery and drained the easy to get water then used hairdryer on cool setting. Has been sitting in front of fan (which I've rotated frequently) for 30 or more hours. Am planning to power it up after another couple days but assured dropping something electronic into water toasted it. Did not have high hopes it will turn on. Is the rice critical? Any kind?
2015-9-6
Use props
Flyhigh7887
lvl.3

Sweden

garrylane2 Posted at 2015-9-7 06:12
It was in fresh water for about 20 seconds. Immediately pulled the battery and drained the easy to g ...

sorry garry, not to make light of your situation, but i am pretty sure the type of rice only matters if you plan on eating it afterwards...

my tip for flying over water, which i do quite often, is to not ever fly lower than 3-4 meters. that will usually give you time to do whatever is necessary if your P3 should really want to take a swim.

i hope your P3 recovers!
2015-9-7
Use props
liningiv
lvl.4
Flight distance : 329409 ft
United Kingdom

Sorry to hear.
But there is no reason for this to happen.
Barometer controls your height, apparently, so even if the VPS did detect something, if you did not command it to lose altitude it should have continued to hover, no matter if it is wood, water, sand or snow underneath.
There must be more to this.

This is me in hover over water at 3 feet height.
Ivor Linington Forum (1).jpg
2015-9-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules