Video quality / not impressed
951 12 2023-11-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Monkieboy00
lvl.3
Flight distance : 101188 ft

United States

Hi guys, I have the M4P and it's my first drone I've ever owned and I'm not too impressed with the video / photo quality. I shoot soley for social media and it's decent looking on a phone / ipad but not impressive, to me. I feel like my iPhone does a better job especially in areas that have a lot of contrast. If I adjust the camera for areas that are too exposed then then areas with shadows are too dark. Details in the images / video could be a lot better. I know this is a beginer drone and i'm curious if the quality I'm expecting is in the more expensive drones.  
I have the drone camera settings on
1080p / 60fps / Color: normal / Coding format: H.265 / all other settings are set to auto usually.

The first two videos in this link, I used a polorized filter, the other three videos I didn't use a lens
I took these videos this weekend in Arizona https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKDPsBs6395nnYSHmc4mByw

2023-11-13
Use props
Sam654
lvl.3
Flight distance : 132667 ft

United Kingdom

To be fair, the conditions you shot in are quite difficult to get balanced exposure. Where the sky is bright and sunny, but most of the subject is in the shade. In those condition there is a huge contrast between sky and land. So you expose for ground and get blown out sky, or expose for sky and get underexposed ground. Of course you end up with a compromise somewhere between.
One thing to experiment with is shooting in one of the 10bit modes, then post grading in Davinci Resolve or something similar. That will give you a bit more gamut to play with and let you adjust different parts of the picture to your liking.
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=300936
At the end of the day we are talking about a camera around the size of a sugar cube, delaing with massive contrast. I don't think it did too bad considering that.
2023-11-13
Use props
Mavic57Minis
First Officer
Flight distance : 3772247 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Why are you not using the full 4k @ 60
2023-11-13
Use props
Monkieboy00
lvl.3

United States

Mavic57Minis Posted at 11-13 10:28
Why are you not using the full 4k @ 60

Social media like Instagram, tiktok, and facebook don't use 4k
2023-11-13
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18150351 ft
United States

Monkieboy00 Posted at 11-13 10:42

Still shoot in 4K. It WILL look better even at 1080. And YouTube DOES do 4K.
2023-11-13
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4009 ft
Australia

Monkieboy00 Posted at 11-13 10:42

Can I ask you why would you need good video quality for social media?

I always thought that for social media, file size and good compression were the priorities...
2023-11-13
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. We appreciate you sharing this wonderful footage you captured. Please try to use a higher resolution like 4k and check it does a better result. If you experience any issues with higher-resolution footage, please let us know. Thank you for your valued support.
2023-11-13
Use props
Sam654
lvl.3
Flight distance : 132667 ft

United Kingdom

It can be worthwhile shooting a higher resolution than the final output. Though I don't see it having much effect on your particular issue or contrast.
It just gives a bit more scope for post processing, like stabilising, straightening and reframing without losing resolution.
2023-11-14
Use props
Jan Spacil
lvl.4

Czechia

Hi Monkieboy00, if you need more details, you should record videos in 4K (and after that downsample videos for lower resolution, if you need, in postprocess).

You write about contrast, but it more correctly refers to the dynamic range of the sensor ("shadows too dark, highlights too bright"). There's generally not much you can do about that, it's a property of the sensor. What is possible, however, is to shoot videos in 10bit LOG format. The M4P doesn't offer 'any good' LOG format, the gamma curve is pretty flat, but it can still help. But of course, the LOG format requires editing in post-processing to get a good-looking version from a 'non-contrasting' video again. But the LOG video format doesn't improve the dynamic range of the sensor, people often don't understand this.

The situation is similar for photos, shooting in 8bit jpeg format has its limitations. If you try the 10bit RAW format, again it takes time in post production, but you are able to get a much higher quality image in the end.
2023-11-14
Use props
Monkieboy00
lvl.3

United States

Jan Spacil Posted at 11-14 22:34
Hi Monkieboy00, if you need more details, you should record videos in 4K (and after that downsample videos for lower resolution, if you need, in postprocess).

You write about contrast, but it more correctly refers to the dynamic range of the sensor ("shadows too dark, highlights too bright"). There's generally not much you can do about that, it's a property of the sensor. What is possible, however, is to shoot videos in 10bit LOG format. The M4P doesn't offer 'any good' LOG format, the gamma curve is pretty flat, but it can still help. But of course, the LOG format requires editing in post-processing to get a good-looking version from a 'non-contrasting' video again. But the LOG video format doesn't improve the dynamic range of the sensor, people often don't understand this.

Thanks for the insight
2023-11-15
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

The Mini 4 Pro 'is' a pro drone where you have to work harder to make your footage look good (as any pro knows how to do).
Contrary to an iPhone that has 'ok' footage as the default (but a Pro will usually use a 3rd party app to get more control and better results).
Just like my Canon XA50 which produces less good looking footage compared to my iPhone if I don't put in the extra effort of shooting in LOG, exposing correctly, doing the right post production.
So yeah, it's a pro drone, but you have to work harder to get the most out of it.

2023-12-26
Use props
Monkieboy00
lvl.3

United States

Montfrooij Posted at 12-26 12:17
The Mini 4 Pro 'is' a pro drone where you have to work harder to make your footage look good (as any pro knows how to do).
Contrary to an iPhone that has 'ok' footage as the default (but a Pro will usually use a 3rd party app to get more control and better results).
Just like my Canon XA50 which produces less good looking footage compared to my iPhone if I don't put in the extra effort of shooting in LOG, exposing correctly, doing the right post production.

Thanks for that! I've learned that I have to do some editing. I now record in DLOG and use Lightroom to bring out the details and colors. The videos have been looking a lot better.
2023-12-27
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Monkieboy00 Posted at 12-27 12:51
Thanks for that! I've learned that I have to do some editing. I now record in DLOG and use Lightroom to bring out the details and colors. The videos have been looking a lot better.

Good to hear!
It seems counterproductive at first, but this way you can create the look you're after in post, whereas with the iPhone video, it's baked in and not much you can do about it, so this way is usually preferred by the 'pros' (not that I'm one myself ).
2023-12-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules