Remote
1121 39 2023-11-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_aI6BfmbQCU6I
lvl.2

United States

Does anyone else completely hate the way the remote functions?  Getting the screen to turn on is a complete pain and stupid.  I’m told I’m supposed to press the button twice and then press and hold but it’s so inconsistent and just seems like the screen come on whenever it finally decides to after turning the stupid remote on and of spamming the power button like a moron in the parking lot.  What’s so hard about a singles press and hold on and off just like the camera operates?  

Dji please do a firmware or somehow enable a single press and hold on and off option because the default function is incredibly stupid and frustrating.
2023-11-25
Use props
DaveSp
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6562 ft
United States

I wish they would make the connection timeout configurable with durations longer than 30 minutes.
2023-11-25
Use props
Jhill
lvl.2

United States

DaveSp Posted at 11-25 20:03
I wish they would make the connection timeout configurable with durations longer than 30 minutes.

So how do you even get yours to turn on reliably?  I do the push twice and push and hold and still 9 out of ten time it just goes to Bluetooth sync but doesn’t turn on the screen so I have zero clue if I’m getting gps or not.  I really don’t know if mine isn’t working right or what because it can turn on it just doesn’t unless I try repeatedly until it finally does.  Once it turns on once then I get get it to work more reliably u till the next time I go to use it.  It really is a disappointment and the insta360 remote seems much better.
2023-11-25
Use props
DaveSp
Second Officer
United States

Jhill Posted at 11-25 23:13
So how do you even get yours to turn on reliably?  I do the push twice and push and hold and still 9 out of ten time it just goes to Bluetooth sync but doesn’t turn on the screen so I have zero clue if I’m getting gps or not.  I really don’t know if mine isn’t working right or what because it can turn on it just doesn’t unless I try repeatedly until it finally does.  Once it turns on once then I get get it to work more reliably u till the next time I go to use it.  It really is a disappointment and the insta360 remote seems much better.

Have you already connected the two devices? The remote and the camera must first be connected to turn on the camera remotely by remote control. If the camera is turned off but the remote is left on after making a connection, the camera can be turned back on with a long press of the remote's shutter button; a short press of that button turns the camera on and starts a quick video shoot (exactly like using the quick shoot button on the camera itself). When the camera is off, the camera-remote connection times out after 30 minutes after no usage and the remote and camera must be manually reconnected.
2023-11-26
Use props
BaynhamPhoto
Second Officer
Flight distance : 380978 ft
United Kingdom

Fully agree this needs a fw update to change to simply on/off on a single press mine also needs multiple attempts to get the screen active, I don’t understand why given the sleep mode it isn’t just power on/off anyway.  This could be one reason I jump to insta 360.
2023-11-26
Use props
Jhill
lvl.2

United States

DaveSp Posted at 11-26 03:13
Have you already connected the two devices? The remote and the camera must first be connected to turn on the camera remotely by remote control. If the camera is turned off but the remote is left on after making a connection, the camera can be turned back on with a long press of the remote's shutter button; a short press of that button turns the camera on and starts a quick video shoot (exactly like using the quick shoot button on the camera itself). When the camera is off, the camera-remote connection times out after 30 minutes after no usage and the remote and camera must be manually reconnected.

It’s not an issue with turning the camera on and off it is an issue turning the the screen for the remote on and off.  I can turn on the remote and connect with no issues it’s getting the actual screen on the remote to turn on so I can see if it is connected to gps or not that is the issue.
2023-11-26
Use props
DaveSp
Second Officer
United States

Jhill Posted at 11-26 08:19
It’s not an issue with turning the camera on and off it is an issue turning the the screen for the remote on and off.  I can turn on the remote and connect with no issues it’s getting the actual screen on the remote to turn on so I can see if it is connected to gps or not that is the issue.

On mine, once connected, the remote immediately goes to the main screen. If the screen turns off after a period of no use, a single press of the power button brings the main display back.
2023-11-26
Use props
Jhill
lvl.2

United States

DaveSp Posted at 11-26 08:49
On mine, once connected, the remote immediately goes to the main screen. If the screen turns off after a period of no use, a single press of the power button brings the main display back.

Ok so mine does not work like that at all.  If I turn mine on and connect without the screen turning on, a single press of the power button just cycles the modes.  Mine sounds like the same as the other person posted here so I’m not sure if defective or some way to change the setup or what but it definitely does not operate as you claim yours does.
2023-11-26
Use props
DaveSp
Second Officer
United States

Jhill Posted at 11-26 09:10
Ok so mine does not work like that at all.  If I turn mine on and connect without the screen turning on, a single press of the power button just cycles the modes.  Mine sounds like the same as the other person posted here so I’m not sure if defective or some way to change the setup or what but it definitely does not operate as you claim yours does.

To be clear on what I see (I have the units in front of me and just did this): When both are powered on, I hit the side button on the remote to connect. It connects and the remote switches to its main display. If I hit the remote power button once, I get the camera mode cycle change. If the remote isn’t used for a bit, its display goes black. One hit on the remote’s power button brings the remote back to the main display and further hits on the remote's power button again cycle camera mode.
Note: F/W on both the camera and the remote are the most recent update.
2023-11-26
Use props
Jhill
lvl.2

United States

DaveSp Posted at 11-26 09:24
To be clear on what I see (I have the units in front of me and just did this): When both are powered on, I hit the side button on the remote to connect. It connects and the remote switches to its main display. If I hit the remote power button once, I get the camera mode cycle change. If the remote isn’t used for a bit, its display goes black. One hit on the remote’s power button brings the remote back to the main display and further hits on the remote's power button again cycle camera mode.
Note: F/W on both the camera and the remote are the most recent update.

Ok so mine if I turn on the remote by just pressing and holding the power button once, which is how the manual says it should work but doesn’t as the display doesn’t turn on.  Instead it flashes the blue light and automatically connects to camera but the screen never turns on.  I have to power off and then follow dji support told me you’re actually supposed to have to pres the power power twice and then press and hold.  Even doing this most time it will not turn on and I have to power off and on over and over again until for whatever reason it finally turns on.  It’s not how the manual says it should operate and it’s incredibly frustrating.
2023-11-26
Use props
DaveSp
Second Officer
United States

Jhill Posted at 11-26 10:41
Ok so mine if I turn on the remote by just pressing and holding the power button once, which is how the manual says it should work but doesn’t as the display doesn’t turn on.  Instead it flashes the blue light and automatically connects to camera but the screen never turns on.  I have to power off and then follow dji support told me you’re actually supposed to have to pres the power power twice and then press and hold.  Even doing this most time it will not turn on and I have to power off and on over and over again until for whatever reason it finally turns on.  It’s not how the manual says it should operate and it’s incredibly frustrating.

Easy to see why you're frustrated with both the remote and DJI Support - their response doesn't make any sense. As you say, the remote should turn on with a single press of the power button. Mine works as expected reliably so it leads me to think that you and BaynhamPhoto may have faulty units.
2023-11-26
Use props
BaynhamPhoto
Second Officer
United Kingdom

DaveSp Posted at 11-26 11:29
Easy to see why you're frustrated with both the remote and DJI Support - their response doesn't make any sense. As you say, the remote should turn on with a single press of the power button. Mine works as expected reliably so it leads me to think that you and BaynhamPhoto may have faulty units.

Nice that advice offered by DJI support is total rubbish, my experience is turn on then immediately turn off then on again at which point the screen on the remote comes on.  If you turn it off and on again the screen comes on immediately but if left for a few minutes it requires on, off, on again suggesting something like insufficient power for energising the screen on first power on.  Strangely once it’s on then goes into sleep it does wake on a button push.  DJI should investigate this issue and confirm recall action for impacted users.
2023-11-26
Use props
BaynhamPhoto
Second Officer
United Kingdom

FAO DJI representative.

Having attempted to raise a repair support request it is not possible as the remote does not appear on the ‘select products’, further entering the remote serial number also fails to return a product name/type.  Can Please advise how we arrange for faulty Bluetooth  remote devices to be returned for replacement/repair.
2023-11-26
Use props
BaynhamPhoto
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Video of described problem
2023-11-26
Use props
DaveSp
Second Officer
United States

BaynhamPhoto Posted at 11-26 14:40
Video of described problem Remote screen fault

Great video, really shows that your unit is screwed up.
2023-11-26
Use props
Jhill
lvl.2

United States

BaynhamPhoto Posted at 11-26 14:40
Video of described problem Remote screen fault

Wow I wish mine was only as screwed as yours.  At least yours reliably turns on after first cycle.  I’ll see about making a video of mine, stupid thing is possessed and only comes on after about 15 tries doing what I feel is the exact same thing over and over again.  If I single push it will never turn on ever it takes a sequence of push, .5 sec, push, .5 sec push and hold and even then it is not consistent.  Ok seems I need a refund because these are defective.
2023-11-26
Use props
Jhill
lvl.2

United States

Here is the joy that is my remote.

https://youtu.be/8f42dzKEMgk?si=7W7T73QyV6wpgYgK
2023-11-26
Use props
DaveSp
Second Officer
United States

Jhill Posted at 11-26 18:44
Here is the joy that is my remote.

https://youtu.be/8f42dzKEMgk?si=7W7T73QyV6wpgYgK

Yeah, that is clearly defective and you should return it. Get a good, working unit and you'll be pleased with it. Keep us informed as to what happens and best of luck on a quick resolution.
2023-11-26
Use props
Jhill
lvl.2

United States

DaveSp Posted at 11-26 18:55
Yeah, that is clearly defective and you should return it. Get a good, working unit and you'll be pleased with it. Keep us informed as to what happens and best of luck on a quick resolution.

Yup looking that way.  Got the camera a while back and loved it but my DJI experience is quickly turning south.  Their support while better than GoPro is still not great.  Took 3 reps and multiple attempts clearly saying over and over I am not talking about the camera, stop telling me how the camera screen works I am talking about the remote.  Then finally the one rep tells the press, press, press hold sequence and it kind of works but clearly not what their literature says and clearly not consistent or convenient.  

Just out of curiosity what does your firmware say.  I have mine up to date supposedly but doing a google search DJI doesn’t list their firmware anywhere, kind of makes displaying it pointless when you can’t verify it actually updated to latest without knowing what latest is.  Mine has a bunch of zeros and then a 1.92.  Curious what yours is (press and hold power and shutter once the remote is on).
2023-11-26
Use props
DaveSp
Second Officer
United States

Jhill Posted at 11-26 19:25
Yup looking that way.  Got the camera a while back and loved it but my DJI experience is quickly turning south.  Their support while better than GoPro is still not great.  Took 3 reps and multiple attempts clearly saying over and over I am not talking about the camera, stop telling me how the camera screen works I am talking about the remote.  Then finally the one rep tells the press, press, press hold sequence and it kind of works but clearly not what their literature says and clearly not consistent or convenient.  

Just out of curiosity what does your firmware say.  I have mine up to date supposedly but doing a google search DJI doesn’t list their firmware anywhere, kind of makes displaying it pointless when you can’t verify it actually updated to latest without knowing what latest is.  Mine has a bunch of zeros and then a 1.92.  Curious what yours is (press and hold power and shutter once the remote is on).

I have the same f/w version; it was updated with the camera's recent update.

That multiple press sequence is absurd and you have to wonder how they came up with it

I've been lucky so far. I have the Action 4 and the Pocket 3 and haven't seen the issues that others have run into. On the Pocket 3 side, DJI has been reasonably proactive in getting out f/w updates to address the big issues.
2023-11-26
Use props
Jhill
lvl.2

United States

DaveSp Posted at 11-26 19:40
I have the same f/w version; it was updated with the camera's recent update.

That multiple press sequence is absurd and you have to wonder how they came up with it

Ok well good to know some work as advertised so now I know mine is defective and need a replacement instead of dicking around with their support I just just email them a link to this forum where 2 of us are having screen issues and who know how many others out there with issues wondering if it’s them or the product is the issue.  I’m pretty damn good with electronics so I was thinking it has to be the remote and it can’t be this hard to get the screen to come on or if it truly was designed that way then they need to hold an engineering meeting and actually try using it.
2023-11-26
Use props
DaveSp
Second Officer
United States

Jhill Posted at 11-26 19:46
Ok well good to know some work as advertised so now I know mine is defective and need a replacement instead of dicking around with their support I just just email them a link to this forum where 2 of us are having screen issues and who know how many others out there with issues wondering if it’s them or the product is the issue.  I’m pretty damn good with electronics so I was thinking it has to be the remote and it can’t be this hard to get the screen to come on or if it truly was designed that way then they need to hold an engineering meeting and actually try using it.

Maybe just a bad batch. I ordered mine in late August through Amazon and it was shipped from China - couldn't find them in stock anywhere here in the US.
2023-11-26
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hello, there. We're sorry for the inconvenience that it may have caused you. Would it be possible if you could share a short video showing the phenomenon? You may use Google Drive or Dropbox to upload the video and share the link here. Rest assured we've taken your feeback seriously.
2023-11-26
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

DaveSp Posted at 11-25 20:03

Hello, there. We do appreciate your additional input. Rest assured your feedback will be forwarded for future reference.
2023-11-26
Use props
Jhill
lvl.2

United States

DJI Gamora Posted at 11-26 22:42
Hello, there. We're sorry for the inconvenience that it may have caused you. Would it be possible if you could share a short video showing the phenomenon? You may use Google Drive or Dropbox to upload the video and share the link here. Rest assured we've taken your feeback seriously.

I gave a YouTube link doesn’t that work?
2023-11-27
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Jhill Posted at 11-27 00:53
I gave a YouTube link doesn’t that work?

Thank you for responding and apologize for the trouble. May we confirm what platform did you use when you contacted our support? Furthermore, we recommend sending your Osmo Action GPS Bluetooth Remote Controller for repair via this link. Thank you for your cooperation.
2023-11-27
Use props
Jhill
lvl.2

United States

DJI Gamora Posted at 11-27 02:08
Thank you for responding and apologize for the trouble. May we confirm what platform did you use when you contacted our support? Furthermore, we recommend sending your Osmo Action GPS Bluetooth Remote Controller for repair via this link. Thank you for your cooperation.

Originally it was the online chat and I had to go through a few people, none understood what I was talking about and instead kept referring to the camera as if once osmo 4 was heard all other words like remote were completely disregarded until the last person said no you have to push twice then hold.  Not sure where they got that info but it semi worked however it’s not as described and not convenient.  I’ll follow through with sending this remote in, tried to use it today and just about ended up throwing it in the ocean as it’s completely useless.
2023-11-27
Use props
Jhill
lvl.2

United States

Ok great how do I send it in?  Trying to find it in products and doesn’t exist.  Under hand held I just have the cameras you make, nothing about accessories for the cameras.
2023-11-27
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

Jhill Posted at 11-27 02:19
Ok great how do I send it in?  Trying to find it in products and doesn’t exist.  Under hand held I just have the cameras you make, nothing about accessories for the cameras.

https://store.dji.com/product/os ... h-remote-controller
2023-11-27
Use props
BaynhamPhoto
Second Officer
United Kingdom

@Dji Glamora if you had read my own post above you would note the remote product cannot be selected on the usual repair process forms by name or using serial number.  Can you qualify how the remote can be returned for replacement.  You will also note my own video showing the problem with the remote unit.
2023-11-27
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Jhill Posted at 11-27 02:19

To set up a repair or replacement case for your Osmo Action GPS Bluetooth Remote Controller, please contact us at www.dji.com/support Thank you for your cooperation.

2023-11-27
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

BaynhamPhoto Posted at 11-27 03:09
@Dji Glamora if you had read my own post above you would note the remote product cannot be selected on the usual repair process forms by name or using serial number.  Can you qualify how the remote can be returned for replacement.  You will also note my own video showing the problem with the remote unit.

Hello, there. Thank you for your notice and apologize for the inconvenience. Please refer to this comment to open a case for your unit: https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 277&pid=3188373 Kindly feel free to keep us posted anytime.
2023-11-27
Use props
BaynhamPhoto
Second Officer
United Kingdom

DJI Gamora Posted at 11-27 03:15
Hello, there. Thank you for your notice and apologize for the inconvenience. Please refer to this comment to open a case for your unit: https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=redirect&goto=findpost&ptid=302277&pid=3188373 Kindly feel free to keep us posted anytime.

For anyone having a similar issue the instructions from support are to use the camera serial number to create the repair request & detail the issue with the remote in issue description field then await returns label & instructions.  I suggest adding the remote serial into the descriptions field for traceability.

Still a bit of a task making support understand it’s a remote issue so if discussing just re-enforce the word remote frequently as you will be asked about the camera.  Usual stuff applies make sure you have fw numbers, serial numbers to hand.

Good luck…
2023-11-27
Use props
BaynhamPhoto
Second Officer
United Kingdom

BaynhamPhoto Posted at 11-27 04:14
For anyone having a similar issue the instructions from support are to use the camera serial number to create the repair request & detail the issue with the remote in issue description field then await returns label & instructions.  I suggest adding the remote serial into the descriptions field for traceability.

Still a bit of a task making support understand it’s a remote issue so if discussing just re-enforce the word remote frequently as you will be asked about the camera.  Usual stuff applies make sure you have fw numbers, serial numbers to hand.

2023-11-27
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

BaynhamPhoto Posted at 11-27 04:14

Thank you for your update and we truly apologize for the unpleasant experience. To review your transactions with us, may we ask which platform you used to contact our support?
2023-11-27
Use props
BaynhamPhoto
Second Officer
United Kingdom

DJI Gamora Posted at 11-27 04:18
Thank you for your update and we truly apologize for the unpleasant experience. To review your transactions with us, may we ask which platform you used to contact our support?

Support accessed via the fly app support chat on iPad @Dji Glamora I will likely update this thread with my support experience after suitable and hopefully speedy resolution has been reached.
2023-11-27
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

BaynhamPhoto Posted at 11-27 04:49
Support accessed via the fly app support chat on iPad @Dji Glamora I will likely update this thread with my support experience after suitable and hopefully speedy resolution has been reached.

Thank you for your update. We hope you have a smooth and fast transaction with us. Please know that we're always here to help!
2023-11-30
Use props
Gerry..Watkins
lvl.2
Flight distance : 168169 ft
United Kingdom

Bought one of these Bluetooth gps remote for my action 4 opened the box went to turn on and nothing put it on charge still nothing changed usb cable and plug still nothing no green light followed instructions, even pressed button twice and hold still nothing contacted dji got told I had to wait 2 days for someone at dji to contact me Utter Joke stated thinking I made a big mistake buying the action 4 and remote and should of got the go pro 12 or 360 instead as after sales is pretty poor at dji to wait 2 days utter rubbish and now reading lots of negative reviews on this remote doesn’t fill you with much confidence to be honest #dji pull your finger out
4-9 19:42
Use props
Jay H
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3129783 ft
South Korea

When changing settings with the custom button on the remote controller, I would like the text displayed on the screen to be larger.

It's so small that you have to look close to see it.

I have inquired before, but there is still no improvement.

I wonder if it is that difficult to change the font size to make it more readable. I definitely hope they change it.
4-13 07:42
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Jay H Posted at 4-13 07:42
When changing settings with the custom button on the remote controller, I would like the text displayed on the screen to be larger.

It's so small that you have to look close to see it.

Hi there. We appreciate your suggestion and would like to assure you that we are committed to providing the best user experience. Your valuable feedback will be promptly forwarded to the relevant team for a thorough evaluation. Thank you for your continued support.
4-13 21:59
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules