Audio Recording Logic - Mono/Stereo
1270 28 2023-12-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_ITbqYOIlCxmG
lvl.3
Flight distance : 162270 ft
United Kingdom

Hi DJI - There are a number of threads that have been posted about the new "Built-in Mic Audio Backup" function. I thought I would pull this together in the logic diagram below for the benefits of all, and to assist you with further clarification. Are you able to let us know if the logic below represents what is expected from your perspective please. The issue people are highlighting is the result from "Configuration 4". Many thanks in advance.

Audio Logic

Audio Logic
2023-12-6
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

A good summary but you have not covered the configuration 5 (backup on, USB-C mic connected) which currently results in stereo wave file from the internal mics, and mono or stereo, configurable, from the external mic(s).  

At the moment, when the audio backup option is selected, you don't get to choose stuff like wind noise reduction and front/back/alll selection for the internal mics writing to the wave file.

In another post I suggested that what is missing is the ability to configure the two stereo channels (wave format and AAC fomat) separately when the backup option is selected.  I am suggesting that the currently unused bottom right quadrant of the audio settings page should read "external settings" or whatever, and that should take you to a submenu where you can select mono/stereo and gain for the external mic, while all existing options remain available for the internal mics, writing to the wave file.  That's a simple fix.  Unless you have to code it.  But really, it should be possible.
2023-12-6
Use props
djiuser_ITbqYOIlCxmG
lvl.3
United Kingdom

fansfe82067d Posted at 12-6 16:58
A good summary but you have not covered the configuration 5 (backup on, USB-C mic connected) which currently results in stereo wave file from the internal mics, and mono or stereo, configurable, from the external mic(s).  

Many thanks for response, and I really like your suggestions. I did read your post regarding the results of tests the USB-C mic (which I appreciated) but I deliberately left that configuration out as it gives DJI scope to respond with a nebulous reply about not supporting 3rd party mics. The configurations I have detailed are within their scope of support so I was expecting them to confirm they are operating correctly, or which one(s) they will highlight to support for development of a firmware fix.
Having said that, DJI haven't responded to what I asked in this original post so it appears that I have wasted my time :-(
2023-12-7
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

I think that sometimes when DJI are fixing a bug or similar, they don't actually comment much here, rather than to confess to it!  So don't think that they are not listening.  I am sure that there will be changes in due course, but they have to do the designing and coding and testing and so on, which can take some time to complete without making further issues appear.
2023-12-7
Use props
djiuser_ITbqYOIlCxmG
lvl.3
United Kingdom

fansfe82067d Posted at 12-7 06:42
I think that sometimes when DJI are fixing a bug or similar, they don't actually comment much here, rather than to confess to it!  So don't think that they are not listening.  I am sure that there will be changes in due course, but they have to do the designing and coding and testing and so on, which can take some time to complete without making further issues appear.

Yeah, good point.
2023-12-7
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hello, there. Thank you for sharing this query with us. Please know that the .wav file will be created from the DJI Osmo Pocket 3 internal mic and the audio type depends on the product settings. Please refer to the image below regarding this situation:

2023-12-10
Use props
djiuser_ITbqYOIlCxmG
lvl.3
United Kingdom

DJI Gamora Posted at 12-10 22:59
Hello, there. Thank you for sharing this query with us. Please know that the .wav file will be created from the DJI Osmo Pocket 3 internal mic and the audio type depends on the product settings. Please refer to the image below regarding this situation:

[view_image]

Many thanks Gamora for taking the effort of pulling this logic diagram - it's much appreciated.

The issue people are having is "Situation 4". Once you connect the DJI MIC 2, you always get a mono video file and a mono WAV file. You are unable to change the setting on the camera to Stereo, as it defaults to mono as soon as the DJI MIC 2 is connected.
2023-12-12
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

djiuser_ITbqYOIlCxmG Posted at 12-12 03:57
Many thanks Gamora for taking the effort of pulling this logic diagram - it's much appreciated.

The issue people are having is "Situation 4". Once you connect the DJI MIC 2, you always get a mono video file and a mono WAV file. You are unable to change the setting on the camera to Stereo, as it defaults to mono as soon as the DJI MIC 2 is connected.

Exactly.  If the system is supposed to behave as described in "Situation 4", well, it doesn't.  So there's a bug.  Also, there are a range of other situations if an external mic is connected to the USB-C input, when the Mic 2 is not connected, depending on whether the audio backup option is selected or not.  Also, in "Situation 4" the menu pictured in Gamora's post is not available.

It's.... complicated.  But it doesn't have to be.  Like I've said before, the menu shown in Gamora's post should always be available.  If there are options related to the Mic 2, or to USB-C mics, such as stereo or mono or level, they should be accessed in a submenu reached by tapping the lower right corner of the illustrated menu, currently not used.  It should be labelled "Ext. Config." or something like that (External configuration).
2023-12-12
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

The issue people are having is "Situation 4". Once you connect the DJI MIC 2, you always get a mono video file and a mono WAV file. You are unable to change the setting on the camera to Stereo, as it defaults to mono as soon as the DJI MIC 2 is connected.

Thank you for your follow-up. Please allow us to coordinate this matter with our relevant team for further confirmation.
2023-12-15
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

The issue people are having is "Situation 4". Once you connect the DJI MIC 2, you always get a mono video file and a mono WAV file. You are unable to change the setting on the camera to Stereo, as it defaults to mono as soon as the DJI MIC 2 is connected.

Update: Please choose to set the DJI Osmo Pocket 3 to stereo before connecting to the DJI Mi 2 and test it again. Kindly let us know about the latest progress.
2023-12-16
Use props
djiuser_ITbqYOIlCxmG
lvl.3
United Kingdom

DJI Gamora Posted at 12-16 02:21
Update: Please choose to set the DJI Osmo Pocket 3 to stereo before connecting to the DJI Mi 2 and test it again. Kindly let us know about the latest progress.

Hi Gamora thanks for progressing this issue, it's much appreciated.

My Pocket 3 is set to stereo all the time, so unfortunately the test you suggest has already been completed without success. It's the connection of the DJI Mic 2 that automatically changes the setting to mono without the user being able to change it back to stereo. Have a look at the attached video for an example.
2023-12-16
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

The screen helpfully pictured in the post above shows the menu which should only be accessed from the main audio menu, whose lower right quadrant is currently blank.  Tapping aa new button in that quadrant should take the user into the submenu for configuring external devices including the Mic 2.  The main audio menu should always be accessible by the user, not "overwritten" by the menu shown above.  Sorry if I keep repeating this, but it i\s the obvious way the system should be designed.
2023-12-16
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

djiuser_ITbqYOIlCxmG Posted at 12-16 02:58
Hi Gamora thanks for progressing this issue, it's much appreciated.

My Pocket 3 is set to stereo all the time, so unfortunately the test you suggest has already been completed without success. It's the connection of the DJI Mic 2 that automatically changes the setting to mono without the user being able to change it back to stereo. Have a look at the attached video for an example.

I appreciate the follow-up query. May I confirm the generated .wav file after setting the DJI Osmo Pocket 3 to stereo before connecting the DJI Mic 2?
2023-12-18
Use props
djiuser_ITbqYOIlCxmG
lvl.3
United Kingdom

DJI Gamora Posted at 12-18 02:55
I appreciate the follow-up query. May I confirm the generated .wav file after setting the DJI Osmo Pocket 3 to stereo before connecting the DJI Mic 2?

Hi Gamora - Yes, the .WAV file is stereo when setting the option to stereo and using the internal Pocket 3 mics only. It only becomes mono when you connect the DJI Mic 2.
2023-12-18
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

This is such an obvious bug that I am surprised that it seems DJI cannot reproduce it very easily.
2023-12-19
Use props
djiuser_ITbqYOIlCxmG
lvl.3
United Kingdom

fansfe82067d Posted at 12-19 03:04
This is such an obvious bug that I am surprised that it seems DJI cannot reproduce it very easily.

I must admit that I am a little surprised about the continual need for more information about the issue! I thought that my uploaded video would be enough to clearly show what the issue is.
The only thing I can imagine is that the DJI guys/girls on this forum don't have access to a Pocket 3 themselves so have to revert back to their support teams for next steps etc and can't see it for themselves.
2023-12-20
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

djiuser_ITbqYOIlCxmG Posted at 12-18 10:07
Hi Gamora - Yes, the .WAV file is stereo when setting the option to stereo and using the internal Pocket 3 mics only. It only becomes mono when you connect the DJI Mic 2.

Thank you for additional information. We will communicate this situation with our relevant team and forward the latest feedback here. We thank you for your patience and cooperation.
2023-12-22
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

djiuser_ITbqYOIlCxmG Posted at 12-20 07:07
I must admit that I am a little surprised about the continual need for more information about the issue! I thought that my uploaded video would be enough to clearly show what the issue is.
The only thing I can imagine is that the DJI guys/girls on this forum don't have access to a Pocket 3 themselves so have to revert back to their support teams for next steps etc and can't see it for themselves.

Hello, there. Sorry for the late update. After a thorough investigation of this setup, our corresponding team has concluded that this is a normal phenomenon after connecting to the DJI Mic 2. We do appreciate your cooperation in providing accuracy to this matter. Furthermore, I've also considered this as a suggestion and forwarded it to our relevant team to possibly provide stereo in the future. Thank you for your understanding and support.
2023-12-28
Use props
djiuser_ITbqYOIlCxmG
lvl.3
United Kingdom

DJI Gamora Posted at 12-28 23:46
Hello, there. Sorry for the late update. After a thorough investigation of this setup, our corresponding team has concluded that this is a normal phenomenon after connecting to the DJI Mic 2. We do appreciate your cooperation in providing accuracy to this matter. Furthermore, I've also considered this as a suggestion and forwarded it to our relevant team to possibly provide stereo in the future. Thank you for your understanding and support.

Many thanks Gamora for pursuing the issue for me, and for the update; it's much appreciated.
2023-12-29
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Meanwhile, my advice to thoss wanting stereo Pocket 3 internal mic ambience with wireless mic voiceover, is to use any wireless mic rig on the market EXCEPT the DJI Mic 2.  Which is... a bit odd.
2023-12-29
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

djiuser_ITbqYOIlCxmG Posted at 12-29 00:26
Many thanks Gamora for pursuing the issue for me, and for the update; it's much appreciated.

You're most welcome. Again, we truly appreciate your understanding and great support!
2023-12-30
Use props
ksun
New

Macao

DJI Gamora Posted at 2023-12-30 05:44
You're most welcome. Again, we truly appreciate your understanding and great support!

Righ!  Same here.  Please fix it asap.

Thanks,
Sun
1-18 06:00
Use props
ksun
New

Macao

Frankly speaking, when I tried this new firmware that DJI can do autobackup of internal mic as WAV file, it saves the world.  However, when I also discovered that that backup files would that turn into mono, it generates a bit of disappointment of me.  So, for me, I got the DJI mic 2 for Osmo Pocket 3 but I usually use it offline by doing internal recording and I need to copy that audio file from the mic to the video and do some editting work, which is not very good.  What's more is it is hard for me to sync the video recording with the DJI mic internal recording at the same time (since the mic has to be disconnected from the Osmo Pocket 3).  So, when I see this autobackup features, I'm very surprised...

Please fix this stereo problem asap so as to make the suite of products of DJI mic and Osmo Pocket 3 a perfect choice.

Thanks a lot!

Sun.
1-18 06:03
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

ksun Posted at 1-18 06:00
Righ!  Same here.  Please fix it asap.

Thanks,

Thank you for your additional input. Please know that this phenomenon is not a bug but a normal behavior of the DJI Pocket 3 when connected to the external microphone. However, please be assured that we're continuously forwarding related feedback regarding this matter. Thank you for your understanding and support.
1-21 03:23
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

A bug is something that is caused by a mistake in the coding of the firmware.  In this case it's a mistake in the design of the firmware.  The result, from the user's point of view, is the same - it's something that doesn't work in the way that any reasonable user would expect.  The only "excuse" would be if one of the engineers assured us that recording in stereo would overheat the processor, and that I find very hard to believe without their explanation.
1-21 04:32
Use props
djiuser1111
New
United States

Just wanted to add another +1 to this request.

That is, when we turn on the backup audio mode from the DJI Osmo Pocket 3 internal microphones, it would be great if it could record the backup audio in STEREO (even though the video file with Mic 2 audio is MONO). Or at least give us some setting where we can configure this. I expect the backup audio from the pocket 3 to be in stereo mode.
1-21 16:28
Use props
SLiWooDy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 126234 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

When connect the MIC 2 to the Osmo Action 4, the sound file is saved as stereo.
On the OP 3 its always MONO?
what gives?
3-2 09:07
Use props
djiuser_ITbqYOIlCxmG
lvl.3
United Kingdom

SLiWooDy Posted at 3-2 09:07
When connect the MIC 2 to the Osmo Action 4, the sound file is saved as stereo.
On the OP 3 its always MONO?
what gives?

I thought DJI had solved that now on the OP3 with their latest firmware release:

Date: 2024.01.31
Firmware Version: v01.03.05.02
DJI Mimo App iOS: v1.11.6
DJI Mimo App Android: v1.11.4
DJI Mic 2 Transmitter Firmware Version: v04.03.08.31
3-2 11:22
Use props
SLiWooDy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 126234 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_ITbqYOIlCxmG Posted at 3-2 11:22
I thought DJI had solved that now on the OP3 with their latest firmware release:

Date: 2024.01.31

still only mono output when using MIC 2.
3-4 10:44
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules