Issue with HLG curve
510 0 2023-12-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Girwet
lvl.2
  • >>>
France

I bought the Mini 4 Pro because it's the first Mini that to my eyes should be able to meet my criterias image-wise. I have to say I was not disappointed. And it is a pleasure to fly !
Now I was interested in the log profiles in the drone, namely DLogM and HLG.

DLogM on the Mavic 2 Pro is different from the version present on the  Mini 4 Pro, Action 4, Osmo 3 (I have all of them). I don't when they  transitioned from one to the other.
DLogM on th Mavic 2 Pro was a modifed HLG curve, keeping the log part  and adding a knee/linear part to the bottom (very common on log curves  in general), instead of the gamma curve section of the HLG.
The color space was not something common as far as I know.

The new DLogM curve is very different. Still a log curve with a linear  part at the bottom but no knee. The colorspace used is Rec709 as far as  I've tested.

Now, here is what I find utterly annoying : HLG was correctly  implemented on the Mavic 2 Pro, but on the Mini 4 Pro and Osmo Pocket 3,  the curve is very strange (and in a bad way) ! The Action 4 doesn't  support HLG, only DLogM (WHY ?!).

I'm a professional videographer/filmmaker, whatever you want to it... I  use pretty much all the time an ACES workflow for my color grading.  Hence the necessity to convert my incoming images in the ACES  colorspace.

Why is it annoying you ask. Well, HLG is a standard with a white paper  (so, know curve and color space), which make the transformation to  whatever format you like working with relatively easy (when you know how  this things works I mean). I, for one, prefer HLG over the new DLogM  because the colorspace is wider (Rec2020 instead of Rec709), which avoid  color related in some pretty common cases (like deep blue sky).

Here are some images samples I posted in an other thread :

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 007&pid=3196698

All of this to say : please DJI, fixe the HLG curve and/or use a wider colorspace (Rec2020 for instance) in your DLogM fomat !

2023-12-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules