Yaw errors, might this be a solution? DJI ????????
606 5 2023-12-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Copied from a post on mavic pilots.

I was thinking, ( dangerous I know ) it seems to me that a  characteristic of a "yaw error" flyaway is that once the drone is away  from the home-point/takeoff-point a sudden, uncommanded and inexplicable  recorded change in the drone's heading occurs.
Copied from a post on mavic pilots.

That may not be precisely corrrect but I would bet that it is the way most people would interpret the situation/explanation.

Taking that to be, in essence, correct, would it be feasible for DJI to  add code to the firmware to detect this apparent uncommanded turn. Then,  once the situation was detected, warn the pilot that there may be a  navigation problem and offer the pilot the option to start a landing,  with GPS disregarded, in which, whilst VPS was inoperable, the drone  would descend with 0 pitch and 0 roll unless the pilot commanded  otherwise with the joysticks.
Yes I am aware that with inoperable VPS this would mean that the drone  could be blown about by the wind but it at least gives the pilot manual  control of the drone and might allow them, via either looking at the  drone or using the screen, to fly the drone to safety whilst it is  descending.

Since the change seems to occur close to the home-point/take-off point,  "looking at the drone" should not be a problem and to be honest, in most  cases, I would have thought that the drone would be low enough for VPS  to work and working VPS in most cases means automated position holding  etc..

Yes I am also aware that the correct thing to do is check that the app's  'map' etc. indicates that the drone is pointing in the correct  direction but, since we have seen logs where this sudden 'turn' has  occurred, people presumably haven't done this or don't know of it and  presumably this will continue to happen.

DJI adding code to do the above might save future drones.

2023-12-24
Use props
Yorkshire_Pud
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Oh I was just going to post this. Thanks.
2023-12-24
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

Smooth idea!!!  If it saves even one drone, it is worth the effort!!!!
2023-12-24
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12401030 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi Sean

typo?   ... whilst VPS was inoperable.....   read VPS as GPS

A better solution for DJI drone pilots is to, when minor heading change occur just after takeoff, to automatically reset the other yaw channels with the correct compass data after takeoff. So no need to disable GPS and land manually.

cheers
JJB
Analysis1.png
2023-12-27
Use props
Yorkshire_Pud
lvl.1

United Kingdom

JJB* Posted at 12-27 03:54
typo?   ... whilst VPS was inoperable.....   read VPS as GPS

No, not a typo. If VPS was operating, meaning the drone was low enough and the lighting was sufficient, then the drone will try to hold position and probably be tilting.
2023-12-27
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12401030 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Yorkshire_Pud Posted at 12-27 07:38
No, not a typo. If VPS was operating, meaning the drone was low enough and the lighting was sufficient, then the drone will try to hold position and probably be tilting.

oke, but in contradiction with the next text....

Since the change seems to occur close to the home-point/take-off point,  "looking at the drone" should not be a problem and to be honest, in most  cases, I would have thought that the drone would be low enough for VPS  to work and working VPS in most cases means automated position holding  etc..

2023-12-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules