Unable to download Pocket 3 files to my PC
1903 36 2023-12-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jmramirez57
lvl.1
United States

I have had 2 pocket 3 in a short period of time.The first one the screen got stuck between on and off.
Customer service was very responsive and replaced it immediately.

My second pocket 3 works fine but I am not able to download the files to my PC, if I try to download more than once after the card is formatted.
The first download goes fine but if I take more videaos and then try to dowload them I get an error that says I need to format the card.
It tells me I need to format the card (which has already been formatted in the camera and has videos that are visible for play back on the pocket 3)
I did not have this problem with the first pocket 3
Same sd cards, as well as two new ones all bought through DJI.
Tried 3 different computers (all of which had no issue connecting with the original pocket 3)

Spent quite a while on phone with tech support, but they could not come up with a solution.

I have given up and have relunctanly requested a refund (since I really love the camera).

I hope to repurchase in the future with hope that these bugs will get worked out.

2023-12-25
Use props
djiuser_qu1wida8DvcM
lvl.1
Austria

Hello, I probably have the same problem. After I have formed the MicroSD card via the Osmo Pocket 3 and recorded videos, I can connect the Osmo Pocket 3 to Windows 10 via cable (USB-C to USB-A-3.1) without any problems and download all files. If I then disconnect the cable and record more videos and then reconnect the camera to the computer, I get an error message that I need to format the disk before I can use it (see screenshot). if I then format the card again via the Osmo Pocket 3 and record new videos, I can view and download them again via Windows Explorer the first time; from the second connection I then get the error message mentioned again. Interestingly, I can access all files without any problems when I connect the Osmo Pocket 3 directly to my Android smartphone via cable (USB-C to USB-C).   Is there any solution for this? Or is there a formware update in sight? If not, I will have to send the camera back.   Kind regards Michael
2023-12-25
Use props
DaveSp
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6562 ft
United States

djiuser_qu1wida8DvcM Posted at 12-25 12:00
Hello, I probably have the same problem. After I have formed the MicroSD card via the Osmo Pocket 3 and recorded videos, I can connect the Osmo Pocket 3 to Windows 10 via cable (USB-C to USB-A-3.1) without any problems and download all files. If I then disconnect the cable and record more videos and then reconnect the camera to the computer, I get an error message that I need to format the disk before I can use it (see screenshot). if I then format the card again via the Osmo Pocket 3 and record new videos, I can view and download them again via Windows Explorer the first time; from the second connection I then get the error message mentioned again. Interestingly, I can access all files without any problems when I connect the Osmo Pocket 3 directly to my Android smartphone via cable (USB-C to USB-C).   Is there any solution for this? Or is there a formware update in sight? If not, I will have to send the camera back.   Kind regards Michael
[view_image]

Do you have a card reader you could test with? If you can read the card correctly with the reader, it provides a little more info on where the problem lies.
2023-12-25
Use props
djiuser_qu1wida8DvcM
lvl.1
Austria

DaveSp Posted at 12-25 12:32
Do you have a card reader you could test with? If you can read the card correctly with the reader, it provides a little more info on where the problem lies.

Yes, I have also tested it with a card reader. But I also get the same error message with the card reader.
2023-12-25
Use props
jmramirez57
lvl.1
United States

djiuser_qu1wida8DvcM Posted at 12-25 12:52
Yes, I have also tested it with a card reader. But I also get the same error message with the card reader.

I also have tried a card reader, problem persists.
Have used the card in other cameras and it works fine with other cameras
Tried 3 computers all with same problem
2023-12-25
Use props
MartianSunset
lvl.3
United States

Does your PC have USB-C? Have you tried connecting the P3 to the PC USB-C to USB-C?
2023-12-25
Use props
jmramirez57
lvl.1
United States

No i don't have that option
2023-12-25
Use props
MartianSunset
lvl.3
United States

jmramirez57@yah Posted at 12-25 18:18
No i don't have that option

Too bad. I've noticed funky issues if I connect UBS-C to USB-A...sometimes the screen refreshes over and over, files not there then suddenly there. Never happens with USB-C to USB-C. Perhaps a USB-A compatibility issue? Maybe there's a setting in Windows Device Manager that would fix it...?
2023-12-25
Use props
DaveSp
Second Officer
United States

MartianSunset Posted at 12-25 19:43
Too bad. I've noticed funky issues if I connect UBS-C to USB-A...sometimes the screen refreshes over and over, files not there then suddenly there. Never happens with USB-C to USB-C. Perhaps a USB-A compatibility issue? Maybe there's a setting in Windows Device Manager that would fix it...?

Except that they are seeing the issue when using card readers, too, not just when connecting the camera.
2023-12-25
Use props
MartianSunset
lvl.3
United States

DaveSp Posted at 12-25 20:05
Except that they are seeing the issue when using card readers, too, not just when connecting the camera.

So that would suggest it's an issue with the sd card, no? That wouldn't necessarily rule out a USB issue since the reader is also connecting to it. Or perhaps something to do with the way the P3 is formatting the card?
2023-12-25
Use props
DaveSp
Second Officer
United States

MartianSunset Posted at 12-25 20:15
So that would suggest it's an issue with the sd card, no? That would necessarily rule out a USB issue since the reader is also connecting to it. Or perhaps something to do with the way the P3 is formatting the card?

Since the card works fine with other cameras, it seems like it's the latter, an issue with how the P3 is formatting it.

To those with the issue - have you tried another card with the P3? Does it persist across multiple cards?
2023-12-25
Use props
MartianSunset
lvl.3
United States

DaveSp Posted at 12-25 20:25
Since the card works fine with other cameras, it seems like it's the latter, an issue with how the P3 is formatting it.

To those with the issue - have you tried another card with the P3? Does it persist across multiple cards?

Sorry..I meant to write "That *wouldn't* necessarily rule out a USB issue..

I think the OP said he tried 3 different cards.

The odd thing is that the initial download works fine but a subsequent download, after shooting additional video, fails.
2023-12-25
Use props
djiuser_qu1wida8DvcM
lvl.1
Austria

I have now also tried to connect the Pocket 3 to the PC via USB-C cable, but the problem persisted.  Again, when I then connect the Pocket 3 to the Android smartphone via USB-C, I can access all files without any problems!
2023-12-25
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there, jmramirez57. This is not the experience we want you to have. Please provide us with the information needed via PM so we can investigate the issue further. We will wait for your response. Thank you for your understanding and support.
2023-12-26
Use props
djiuser_qu1wida8DvcM
lvl.1
Austria

I have sent you a DM. Please let me know if you need any further information.
2023-12-26
Use props
jmramirez57
lvl.1
United States

Sorry new to this process.  What is a DM?
I do want to restate I have tried 3 different sd cards (purchased from DJI as the recommended cards), all of which work fine in other cameras.
I have tried different USB ports on the computer
I have tried 3 different computers
I have tried a card reader
I have tried different cables

Also note this is my second pocket 3 camera. ( The screen got stuck between on and off on the first and I returned the unit)
I did not have this problem with the first camera using the same sd cards, cables, computers etc.

I have created a case for return and plan on sending it back today or first thing tomorrow. (UPS was closed over the holidays)

I love the camera and I am probably going to order another one in a few months in hope that the bugs will have been worked out by then.

I appreciate your responses and if you can identify a correction before I send it back it would be great.
2023-12-26
Use props
djiuser_qu1wida8DvcM
lvl.1
Austria

DM = PM (Personal Message)
2023-12-26
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

jmramirez57@yah Posted at 12-26 05:29
Sorry new to this process.  What is a DM?
I do want to restate I have tried 3 different sd cards (purchased from DJI as the recommended cards), all of which work fine in other cameras.
I have tried different USB ports on the computer

Hi there, thank you for your update on this case. May we double-check if the SD formatting reminder was on the Osmo Pocket 3 or on the computer? Could you please provide a picture of the error message to us here as well?
The DM can be checked on the computer browser, tap the Personal Message under DJI Paladin avatar to check the DM. Thank you.
2023-12-26
Use props
jmramirez57
lvl.1
United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 12-26 00:15
Hi there, jmramirez57. This is not the experience we want you to have. Please provide us with the information needed via PM so we can investigate the issue further. We will wait for your response. Thank you for your understanding and support.

firmware 01.02.06.04
camera 10.00.17.15

serial number SWTDL9t001r23x
GIMBAL 0.1.00.13.73
KINGSTON CANVAS GO PLUS 128

DJI_20231226120310_0002_D.JPG
2023-12-26
Use props
djiuser_Mmazr0DJn1cZ
lvl.1

United Kingdom

FIXED........DON'T FORMAT ON THE OSMO POCKET 3 ITSELF ....ONLY FORMAT  CARD VIA PC WHEN CAMERA IS CONNECTED TO PC (JUST LIKE YOU WOULD FORMAT A USB STICK ETC)

I BOUGHT THE DJI MINI 4 DRONE IN OCTOBER 2023 AND IT HAS THE SAME ISSUE.

DJI KNOWS ABOUT THIS AND HAS YET TO RELEASE A FIX.
2023-12-26
Use props
djiuser_qu1wida8DvcM
lvl.1
Austria

as I have not yet received a reply to my PM, I am continuing to write here. I have now formatted my card via computer and the error has disappeared!!! I can access the files without any problems. As soon as I format the card again via Pocket 3, the problem reappears. So the error is definitely due to the Osmo Pocket 3, specifically the formatting by the Osmo Pocket 3.
So we have a workaround, but if I accidentally format the card via Osmo Pocket, I can no longer access the files!!! that can't be right given the price of the product. Will there be a quick fix?
2023-12-26
Use props
MartianSunset
lvl.3
United States

djiuser_qu1wida8DvcM Posted at 12-26 11:57
as I have not yet received a reply to my PM, I am continuing to write here. I have now formatted my card via computer and the error has disappeared!!! I can access the files without any problems. As soon as I format the card again via Pocket 3, the problem reappears. So the error is definitely due to the Osmo Pocket 3, specifically the formatting by the Osmo Pocket 3.
So we have a workaround, but if I accidentally format the card via Osmo Pocket, I can no longer access the files!!! that can't be right given the price of the product. Will there be a quick fix?

I said a few threads back the the issue could be the way the P3 is formatting some cards...but I've always formatted using the P3 and have not had that issue. There may not be a "quick" resolution.
2023-12-26
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Here, DJI devices simply will not talk to my PC (eg Pocket 3 and Action 2 - I forget whether the Pockets 1 & 2 worked or not).  So I simply use a card reader, though that's a bit of a fiddly thing to do with these tiny cards.  However, that seems to be a different issue so I won't mention it.  Oops, I did.
2023-12-26
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

jmramirez57@yah Posted at 12-26 11:23
firmware 01.02.06.04
camera 10.00.17.15
[view_image]

Thank you for your response. The main cause of this issue is due to the metadata area of the unit file system has been modified by the computer system/software, making it unrecognizable to Windows computers.
* The system/software includes: disk security tool, partitions, data recovery, external USB devices, etc.

Please try these solution:
1. Exit the security tool/software before connection.
2. If a company computer is used, please change to a personal computer and try again.
* If the issue is resolved, it means that the company computer has limitations. You may contact the IT of your company for determination.
2023-12-28
Use props
jmramirez57
lvl.1
United States

I tried turning off the anti-virus before connecting.
It did not help.
Also tried turning off firewall.
Also did not help
2023-12-28
Use props
djiuser_qu1wida8DvcM
lvl.1
Austria

DJI Paladin Posted at 12-28 01:45
Thank you for your response. The main cause of this issue is due to the metadata area of the unit file system has been modified by the computer system/software, making it unrecognizable to Windows computers.
* The system/software includes: disk security tool, partitions, data recovery, external USB devices, etc.

I'm starting to get really annoyed. When I format the SD card with Windows there is no problem. So why doesn't DJI also manage to ensure proper formatting? I don't find the general advice regarding "system/software" helpful. I only use Windows Defener and don't want to disable it for a DJI camera.  
Besides, the problem should have been known for some time. I did some research on the internet and came across the following article: https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=273590
The solution given there using "CHKDSK D: /f" works. So again, why can't DJI offer a solution if many users are affected?
2023-12-28
Use props
snoopx
lvl.2
United Kingdom

I had a similar-(ish) file problem on the Pocket 2, although it involved recording rather than file transfer. Sometimes when I pressed the record button, recording just wouldn't begin, rendering the camera useless. A Google search turned up nothing than other users experiencing the same problem with no solution, In the end I tried formating the card in Windows (as suggested by djiuser_Mmazr0DJn1cZ above), rather than on the Pocket 2 itself and it fixed the problem! However, I finally returned the pocket 2 for a refund since I wasn't sure if this was a permanent fix or one day even this wouldn't work. Maybe it was and I could have kept it, however, it kind of put me off the Pocket 2 for the present.
2023-12-28
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

jmramirez57@yah Posted at 2023-12-28 04:47
I tried turning off the anti-virus before connecting.
It did not help.
Also tried turning off firewall.

Thank you for your response. Have you tried to reformat the SD card on the computer? Does the issue persist? Please keep us posted.  
1-1 04:23
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

djiuser_qu1wida8DvcM Posted at 2023-12-28 12:22
I'm starting to get really annoyed. When I format the SD card with Windows there is no problem. So why doesn't DJI also manage to ensure proper formatting? I don't find the general advice regarding "system/software" helpful. I only use Windows Defener and don't want to disable it for a DJI camera.  
Besides, the problem should have been known for some time. I did some research on the internet and came across the following article: https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=273590
The solution given there using "CHKDSK D: /f" works. So again, why can't DJI offer a solution if many users are affected?

Thank you for your feedback. Rest assured that we will coordinate this with our relevant team. We appreciate your patience and understanding.
1-1 04:25
Use props
jmramirez57
lvl.1
United States

I sent the camera back for a return. I couldn't see keeping a camera that can't format the SD card.
I am still a big fan of the pocket 3.
Excellent camera.
Will probably try to repurchase again in hopes the bugs get worked out
1-1 14:04
Use props
OldScout
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

I'm having the same issue. Inserting formatted SD card in P3. Connecting P3 with USB>C cable. Hear positive audio sound. P3 Screen says "Connected". Cannot find P3/SD Card in list of Drives. Reformated drive with both card reader and P3. Still cannot find SD card in list of drives in Windows File Explorer. Tried 2 other USB ports and have the same issue.

Inserting SD card in USB Card Reader and it appears fine in list of drives.
ETA: I then tried a  C Connector > C Connector cable and that solved the problem. Conventional USB > C Connector cable did not work (at least for me).
1-12 06:38
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

OldScout Posted at 1-12 06:38
I'm having the same issue. Inserting formatted SD card in P3. Connecting P3 with USB>C cable. Hear positive audio sound. P3 Screen says "Connected". Cannot find P3/SD Card in list of Drives. Reformated drive with both card reader and P3. Still cannot find SD card in list of drives in Windows File Explorer. Tried 2 other USB ports and have the same issue.

Inserting SD card in USB Card Reader and it appears fine in list of drives.

Hello, there. We're sorry for the trouble that you had experienced. May I confirm if your problem has been solved by replacing the cable?
1-13 02:29
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

djiuser_qu1wida8DvcM Posted at 2023-12-28 12:22
I'm starting to get really annoyed. When I format the SD card with Windows there is no problem. So why doesn't DJI also manage to ensure proper formatting? I don't find the general advice regarding "system/software" helpful. I only use Windows Defener and don't want to disable it for a DJI camera.  
Besides, the problem should have been known for some time. I did some research on the internet and came across the following article: https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=273590

Thank you for patiently waiting. We already received a response related to your inquiry via PM. The main cause of the issue is due to the DJI Osmo Pocket 3 and your computer has a different SD card format method and type which will appear compatible issue. This is the main reason why after you format on the DJI Osmo Pocket 3, the computer will prompt you to re-format. This is a normal situation, please use the computer to format and then use DJI Osmo Pocket 3 normally. Hope this helps.
1-23 23:38
Use props
MarcInOz
lvl.1
Australia

I am formatting my card (exFAT) in my PC - and if I then record in the Pocket3, the recording is fine on the Pocket3 (and on my mobile) but in my PC the SD card is not accessible.
I get the same message that formatting is required.
Even worse, when I connect the Pocket3 to my computer, although I get the reassuring chimes confirming the connection, the Pocket 3 is nowhere to be found.
These issues are unacceptable.
2-25 14:56
Use props
MarcInOz
lvl.1
Australia

For what it's worth, I have solved the problem by doing a Full Format instead of a Quick Format (exFAT) - and that has made all the difference.
I can now open the SD card in my PC and access the files.
I hope it will do the same for everyone else who's been experiencing the same ridiculous issue.
2-25 16:45
Use props
OldScout
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Having the same issue. Worked fine for 6 weeks. It downloaded fine yesterday. Left SD Card in Pocket 3. Today, can't download - getting the same error msg as everyone else. SanDisk Extreme 32GB AND  SanDisk Extreme 256GB. Both failed to download.
Now that I think back, when I bought a new 256GB card, I simply opened it and popped it into the Pocket 3 and it worked well for weeks. Only when I formatted the card for the first time (yesterday) while still inside the Pocket 3 did the problem start.

So for the time being (until DJI fixes this), just remember to do all disk formatting on your PC instead of inside the Pocket 3 itself. If you came from a Pocket 2 and were in the habit of formatting the disk while inside the Pocket 2 to free up space on the card, it takes a bit of training to break that habit.
3-20 09:45
Use props
OldScout
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

OldScout Posted at 3-20 09:45
I'm having the same problem. Shot a video yesterday; downloaded fine. Shot a new video today (did not remove SD card) and will not download; Error: Needs to be formatted. (???). I should mention the video played back fine while inside my Pocket 3.

Having the same issue. Worked fine for 6 weeks. It downloaded fine yesterday. Left SD Card in Pocket 3. Today, can't download - getting the same error msg as everyone else. SanDisk Extreme 32GB AND  SanDisk Extreme 256GB. Both failed to download.
Now that I think back, when I bought a new 256GB card, I simply opened it and popped it into the Pocket 3 and it worked well for weeks. Only when I formatted the card for the first time (yesterday) while still inside the Pocket 3 did the problem start.

So for the time being (until DJI fixes this), just remember to do all disk formatting on your PC instead of inside the Pocket 3 itself. If you came from a Pocket 2 and were in the habit of formatting the disk while inside the Pocket 2 to free up space on the card, it takes a bit of training to break that habit.

3-20 18:38
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules