DJI Mini 4 Pro Nightflight Status-LED update ?
2378 20 2023-12-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Leon_h43
lvl.1
Flight distance : 909006 ft
Germany

Hello,
I just wanted to ask if there was any news about the status LEDs on the DJI Mini 4 Pro while recording, as they then switch off and this is forbidden according to EU regulations.

2023-12-30
Use props
venom666
lvl.1

Italy

Hey DJI, this is a absurd situation! Can you tell us when you solve the issue?? whe spend €1000 for a drone that cannot fly and rec in the night ?!
2023-12-30
Use props
Mynah
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3034081 ft
South Africa

I prefer it the way it is, rather than have flashing light reflection off fog or airborne dust particles ruin my night video.  Get yourself a strobe if you insist on flashing lights while recording video.
2023-12-30
Use props
Nexus Redux
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7878520 ft
  • >>>
Austria

Putting external light on a drone makes it completely illegal and also way beyond 250g. We asked for a software option to switch between standard as it is now and turn it on permanently. So where is your problem...
2023-12-30
Use props
Nexus Redux
lvl.4
  • >>>
Austria

I had a similar thread. Got more or less no answer,except the standard BS bla bla to put it forward to respective dji teams.
2023-12-30
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Nexus Redux Posted at 12-30 14:33
Putting external light on a drone makes it completely illegal and also way beyond 250g. We asked for a software option to switch between standard as it is now and turn it on permanently. So where is your problem...

Strobes are not illegal,   the weight increase just defines that you can no longer fly A1.
2023-12-31
Use props
quidam
lvl.1
Ireland

For anybody who wants to use usb to hdmi on the mini 4 rc controller. i have found an adapter that works. bought in 2 years ago on ebay for a different project

KEBIDU USB type C to HDMI cable adapter 4k 30hz USB 3.1 to HDMI Adapter Male

So easy to set up waypoints  when on a large screen. mine is an lg monitor.
2023-12-31
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. We haven't received any updates regarding the said request. Rest assured that our team is now aware of this request. To see the latest news and updates, you may subscribe to our official website at https://www.dji.com/ . We appreciate your understanding and support.
1-1 02:42
Use props
MarcoLomiler
lvl.1
Brazil

I did a job at the new year eve light drone show , and there was like 20 dji drones flying over a 200 thousand peolpe crowd
There  was around five mini 4 pros , and none of them had the underneath white LED on.
Thats very dangerous DJI.
PLease make this LED TURNED on by DEFAULT on night operations.
People dont read user manual , they dont know how to proceed with this.
This should be almost impossible to turn of at night. Make it very deep in the user interface so people almost cant turn this lights of.

DJI should think about something to protect the professional drone operators. This situation does not make me confident to invest money on a DJI mavic 3 and be vulnerable like this to a consumer drone.
We use minis a lot for professional purpose.
PLease DJI , protect the professionals.
Limit non professionals to the ground.
Toys are made for kindergartens. Let professionals do the job.

thanks

1-7 14:12
Use props
tinicuenca
lvl.3
Flight distance : 827470 ft
Spain

I join this post.
I don't understand why DJI doesn't put an option in the fly app that allows us to keep the flashing green LED lights on even when recording. Why put those lights on the back legs if he keeps turning them off?
1-8 04:05
Use props
tinicuenca
lvl.3
Spain

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... p;page=1#pid3215783
1-8 04:11
Use props
OneSnark
lvl.2
Flight distance : 652231 ft
United States

MarcoLomiler Posted at 1-7 14:12
I did a job at the new year eve light drone show , and there was like 20 dji drones flying over a 200 thousand peolpe crowd
There  was around five mini 4 pros , and none of them had the underneath white LED on.
Thats very dangerous DJI.

A valid opinion.

I do not concur with this view.

Isn't the default for the light "Auto"?
And I already think the setting is buried in the menus.  So much so - - I assigned the switch to a custom button.

In my view. . .stupid is as stupid does.
And yes - - - dumb people WILL Ruin things for everyone.
In this case; yes dumb people flying a drone during an event like this are dumb.

Regardless - -   I find the "switch" very useful.
One of the best features in the new Mini4.
One of the things I *like* about the Mini4 in general is that it is *small* and does not attract attention.  
I normally keep the light off.  The light enables me to fly a bit further - -- if I lose VLOS; I can toggle the light on to quickly re-spot the drone.
1-8 16:20
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

For those requesting that the front lights stay on at night obviously do not want to record video or take images at night, is this correct?
Is that a no? thats what i thought, well, if the front lights stayed on then your videos and images would be 100% ruined as they would show the lights bleeding over.

Heres another thought, why do you think DJI set it so the lights turned off? I can tell you now, it wasn't just to upset EU night fliers.

Want proof of that? buy a cheap strobe and stick it as close to the front lights as possible and then see what its like at night, you do not even need to take off and break any sacred laws, just hold it at arms length, you WILL soon change your tune of that i am 100% sure. You will then be able to place that newly bought strobe towards the rear where everyone else puts there's

For those bleating about the drone being over 250g, whats the issue? As DAFlys already said, it just bumps it to C1 sub 900g, all that means is that you will need to take the online training and pass the very easy test.
1-8 19:19
Use props
fans2d508adb
lvl.3
Spain

Bashy Posted at 1-8 19:19
For those requesting that the front lights stay on at night obviously do not want to record video or take images at night, is this correct?
Is that a no? thats what i thought, well, if the front lights stayed on then your videos and images would be 100% ruined as they would show the lights bleeding over.

In the mini4pro, DJI I changed the lights to the rear legs, they are not on the front like the mini3pro. Why that change?
I don't think it would be that difficult to put an option in the fly app that allows those of us who want to always keep the lights on.
Not only at night, during the day it is safer to always have them on, even when the drone is recording.
DJI has done it in the AIR3, to turn off the front ones (which were always on) to the user's liking. Here it would be the same, but to keep them on.
For many it is not by choice, but by obligation.
In my country, Spain, it is mandatory that you have lights to be able to fly at night. Furthermore, to be able to fly in urban areas, it cannot exceed 250 grams of MTMO, so an external light cannot be added either.
1-9 05:55
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fans2d508adb Posted at 1-9 05:55
In the mini4pro, DJI I changed the lights to the rear legs, they are not on the front like the mini3pro. Why that change?
I don't think it would be that difficult to put an option in the fly app that allows those of us who want to always keep the lights on.
Not only at night, during the day it is safer to always have them on, even when the drone is recording.

Ah, my bad, i didnt realise they'd moved them, carry on...

In all fairness, I'm not so sure the standard lights would be sufficient enough, they are nothing in comparison to Strobon cree lights that I use.

I cant find much with regards to night flying, Benidorm says less than 2kg, no higher than 50m but it could be old news

https://www.benidormseriously.com/flying-drones-in-spain
1-9 07:07
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Here we go, i found it i think

(8)
In order to improve the conspicuity of the unmanned aircraft flown at night, and in particular, to allow a person on the ground to easily distinguish the unmanned aircraft from a manned aircraft, a green flashing light should be activated on the unmanned aircraft.

What it does not state is ''all the time''  I would fly if i was over there. The light is not navigational and not for manned aircraft, it is only for you, therefore i would go for it.

https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal- ... p;qid=1704813859074
1-9 07:20
Use props
Boston_Pilot
New

United States

What are you going to be able to record with lights flashing?
1-9 23:54
Use props
Nexus Redux
lvl.4
  • >>>
Austria

Boston_Pilot Posted at 1-9 23:54
What are you going to be able to record with lights flashing?

you could almost record everything, as on the Mini 4 lights are on the rear legs and not on the front legs.
1-10 14:00
Use props
Nexus Redux
lvl.4
  • >>>
Austria

Bashy Posted at 1-8 19:19
For those requesting that the front lights stay on at night obviously do not want to record video or take images at night, is this correct?
Is that a no? thats what i thought, well, if the front lights stayed on then your videos and images would be 100% ruined as they would show the lights bleeding over.

regulation with c1 also affects inusrance class as well as distance allowed to people and buildings. so lots of difficulties. and i asked the our national air institution, if bringing lights on is possible: not really, as this would make the drone a self constructed vehicle and would then be in specific category (which menas forget it)
1-10 14:04
Use props
DJDelamora
lvl.2
Flight distance : 629590 ft

United States

The rear lights don't really mess with the footage at all unless your near something for the light to reflect off like a building wall or the ground. In the US I have to have a strobe on the drone to fly it at night and that doesn't effect the footage either. Now maybe in fog it would but not the best thing to be flying in. The green lights are also useless beyond 150ft away from you as I noticed flying on the beach about 25ft in height. They're simply not big or bright enough to see beyond that. Now what has been my biggest help with night flying is turning on the landing light full time which I have mapped to one of the buttons on the back of the RC2. That light is definitely worth it and can be seen from a distance. It has 3 modes, Auto-which just turns on during landing and take off, Full on, and disabled. Use it to your advantage.
1-12 06:49
Use props
tinicuenca
lvl.3
Spain

DJDelamora Posted at 1-12 06:49
The rear lights don't really mess with the footage at all unless your near something for the light to reflect off like a building wall or the ground. In the US I have to have a strobe on the drone to fly it at night and that doesn't effect the footage either. Now maybe in fog it would but not the best thing to be flying in. The green lights are also useless beyond 150ft away from you as I noticed flying on the beach about 25ft in height. They're simply not big or bright enough to see beyond that. Now what has been my biggest help with night flying is turning on the landing light full time which I have mapped to one of the buttons on the back of the RC2. That light is definitely worth it and can be seen from a distance. It has 3 modes, Auto-which just turns on during landing and take off, Full on, and disabled. Use it to your advantage.

The problem is that this light is white and fixed and EU regulations require a green and flashing light.
1-14 11:30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules