Action 4 In The Car: Rocksteady or Not?
850 11 1-1 10:00
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Robert Mitchell
lvl.3
United States

I just got an Action 4 and I'm using it in the car as a front view cam while traveling. I have it mounted to the windshield with a good, solid suction cup mount. I'm not sure whether I should have Rocksteady enabled for this use.

Will Rocksteady help the vibrations or will it make things worse? Thanks.
1-1 10:00
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

suggest to go for a test ride   do one with RS, RS+ and HB and  Off you'll decide which you like best. I sitll use RS for the reason of  shakes.
1-1 10:32
Use props
TwerkThatBoot
lvl.2

India

Hi, I use the OA4 to record fun drives around town and I can't stress this enough but, RS is absolutely required! No stabilization results in micro-jitters to be blatant. However, it might be useful in certain action-esque scenarios but as a dash cam, I'd put RS on every single time.
1-1 15:21
Use props
Robert Mitchell
lvl.3
United States

TwerkThatBoot Posted at 1-1 15:21
Hi, I use the OA4 to record fun drives around town and I can't stress this enough but, RS is absolutely required! No stabilization results in micro-jitters to be blatant. However, it might be useful in certain action-esque scenarios but as a dash cam, I'd put RS on every single time.

Great! I wasn't sure. I did have it on for one set of clips and at times it didn't look sharp. I don't think it was motion blur, although it could be. I was shooting 4k 60fps, shutter speed 1/120s. I also haven't tried Rocksteady +
1-1 15:39
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi there. Rocksteady helps stabilize footage. This EIS technology is realized by increasing the shutter speed, analyzing the images captured by the CMOS sensor, and compensating by cutting off the edges of these images. In this way, multiple frames are overlaid and finally combined into a single frame that is sharp, clear, and accurately exposed. Have a nice day.
1-2 02:00
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

Well at the start with HB you may find wondering.  why test out what works for you
1-2 03:57
Use props
Robert Mitchell
lvl.3
United States

Fishycomics Posted at 1-2 03:57
Well at the start with HB you may find wondering.  why test out what works for you

I have no idea what you're saying.
1-2 07:27
Use props
Robert Mitchell
lvl.3
United States

DJI Tony Posted at 1-2 02:00
Hi there. Rocksteady helps stabilize footage. This EIS technology is realized by increasing the shutter speed, analyzing the images captured by the CMOS sensor, and compensating by cutting off the edges of these images. In this way, multiple frames are overlaid and finally combined into a single frame that is sharp, clear, and accurately exposed. Have a nice day.

Thanks. I just did some testing using all modes of stabilization. Once I review the footage, I let you know which mode worked best for a dash cam.
1-2 07:28
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

Robert Mitchell Posted at 1-2 07:27
I have no idea what you're saying.

HB is not perfect, less said is better  I guess lol
1-2 07:57
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Robert Mitchell Posted at 1-2 07:28
Thanks. I just did some testing using all modes of stabilization. Once I review the footage, I let you know which mode worked best for a dash cam.

Rock steady and horizon Balance works best with a faster shutter speed, so in dull weather, it’s best to make sure the ISO is allowed to rise a bit in order to allow the shutter to be quicker.

A slower shutter can cause artifacts when you bump…
1-2 08:28
Use props
Robert Mitchell
lvl.3
United States

I just reviewed some clips where I went from no RS to RS to RS+ to HB. From what I'm seeing, it looks like RS is the way to go. It seems to be the sharpest with the least glitching.
1-2 08:51
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Robert Mitchell Posted at 1-2 07:28
Thanks. I just did some testing using all modes of stabilization. Once I review the footage, I let you know which mode worked best for a dash cam.

Perfect. Glad you already figured out what works best for your car. Please don't hesitate to reach back if you have further concerns. Have a great day ahead.
1-3 00:44
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules