Heading and Gimble tilt info in EXIF?
451 10 1-8 13:49
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
No Original Thought
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1364209 ft
United Kingdom

I'm trying to create a waypoint mission (Litchi) by inspecting the EXIF info in the photos I took so that I can take the same photos again multiple times.

My thinking is that because I flew manually first time I was able to position the drone and frame the photo how I wanted it to look and I now want to create a mission with these waypoints and framing.

I've grabbed the GPS position from the photo EXIF but I can't seem to find the aircraft heading and Gimble tilt info in there.

I've tried a number of different tools (on Windows, but I'd be happy use Linux or Android tools as well) but can't find the info.

My next port of call might be logs downloaded from AirData to see if that contains everything as the maps of the website show photos with heading, but EXIF data would be more convenient.

1-8 13:49
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

. . . . . . . . Untitled-1.jpg

1-8 16:09
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

On the Exif you can find the following which I think should help.

Altitude Type                   : RtkAlt
Absolute Altitude               : +78.045
Relative Altitude               : +17.700
Gimbal Roll Degree              : +0.00
Gimbal Yaw Degree               : +2.00
Gimbal Pitch Degree             : -44.60
Flight Roll Degree              : -6.40
Flight Yaw Degree               : -48.10
Flight Pitch Degree             : +1.50
1-9 01:55
Use props
No Original Thought
Second Officer
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 1-9 01:55
On the Exif you can find the following which I think should help.

Altitude Type                   : RtkAlt

Hmmmm, that's interesting because on every image I've checked the Gimbal values are all zero.

For example:

---- XMP-drone-dji ----
Absolute Altitude               : -71.69
Relative Altitude               : +43.10
Gimbal Yaw Degree               : +0.00
Gimbal Pitch Degree             : +0.00
Flight Roll Degree              : -10.70
Flight Yaw Degree               : +162.30
Flight Pitch Degree             : +16.40
Cam Reverse                     : 0
Gimbal Reverse                  : 0

I need to do a bit more checking, but the Flight Yaw Degree value looks like that may correspond to heading but the gimbal pitch should be around -25 roughly, and on some it should be -90. Hmmm...

By the way, what tool did you use to view the EXIF, obviously this could be a misinterpretation by the different tools I've been using.
1-9 02:22
Use props
No Original Thought
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Just seeing a link to a blank image there.
1-9 02:24
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

No Original Thought Posted at 1-9 02:24
Just seeing a link to a blank image there.

I had posted something, then thought better of it.
1-9 02:43
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

No Original Thought Posted at 1-9 02:22
Hmmmm, that's interesting because on every image I've checked the Gimbal values are all zero.

For example:

It could be the model of the drone or if you copy files through the fly app you loose exif data.

Im using https://software.msam.media/soft ... tml#ExifTool-Reader for reading the exif data but it uses exiftool.org reader.  
1-9 03:04
Use props
No Original Thought
Second Officer
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 1-9 03:04
It could be the model of the drone or if you copy files through the fly app you loose exif data.

Im using https://software.msam.media/software_1/exiftool-reader.html#ExifTool-Reader for reading the exif data but it uses exiftool.org reader.

Files copied direct off the SD card.

I'm using exiftool directly as well (the extract above is copied from the exiftool extracted text file).

So, that kind of points to it being the drone model - Mini 2 - not correctly storing that info in the EXIF. And if that is the case then there's a snowballs chance of that ever being fixed now.

Looking at the data in my AirData account I can see the gimbal heading and gimbal pitch info - it's just a bit odd that that shows waaaaay more photos than I actually took on that flight so working out which is the right one was a bit tricky and meant matching GPS coords because AirData shows flight time and the photos have GPS time!
1-9 04:27
Use props
No Original Thought
Second Officer
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 1-9 03:04

Im using https://software.msam.media/software_1/exiftool-reader.html#ExifTool-Reader for reading the exif data but it uses exiftool.org reader.

Could you check the EXIF in an image from your Mini 2 to see if they have gimbal tilt and heading info?
1-9 08:04
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

No Original Thought Posted at 1-9 08:04
Could you check the EXIF in an image from your Mini 2 to see if they have gimbal tilt and heading info?

I checked an old Mini 2 shot and got the following,  so mines not saving it either.

Absolute Altitude               : +173.59
Relative Altitude               : +29.30
Gimbal Yaw Degree               : +0.00
Gimbal Pitch Degree             : +0.00
Flight Roll Degree              : -0.20
Flight Yaw Degree               : +92.30
Flight Pitch Degree             : +15.00
1-10 00:33
Use props
No Original Thought
Second Officer
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 1-10 00:33
I checked an old Mini 2 shot and got the following,  so mines not saving it either.

Absolute Altitude               : +173.59

Thanks for checking... on a positive note at least I'm not just missing something.

But with Mini 2 firmware updates about as likely as {insert something not very likely at all} I guess I'm stuck with using a bunch of different tools to figure out exactly how the shots were framed. I think I'm pretty close, and probably close enough when you consider that the GPS location is going to be a few metres out as well.. but it was a bit of a chore having to exiftool, AirData and a couple of other tools to get data in the right format to enter into the Litchi MIssion hub. Ah well, will be easier next time with the knowledge gained.
1-10 03:42
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules