Which ND FILTERS are BEST for the DJI Mini 4 Pro Drone ?
2946 13 1-29 09:53
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Hitmax
First Officer
Flight distance : 2092244 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Confused about which ND Filters to get for your Mini 4 Pro ? This comparison test showing the footage side by side might help you decide.

1-29 09:53
Use props
Amitushka
lvl.2
Flight distance : 199232 ft
Netherlands

@Hitmax tnx for this upload buddy,this helped alot !
2-16 20:18
Use props
Manitobahunter
lvl.4
Canada

I recently purchased a set of Polar Pro's shutter collection for the MIni 4 Pro, so an ND8, ND32 and ND128. They came in a nice little plastic case, small enough to carry in the factory soft case or a storage slot in my hard case. I liked Polar Pro's approach to their filters and given their reputation with camera filters, I expected top quality glass, and everything to be a step up from the other offerings available. They suggest using the ND 128 as a 64, the ND32 as a 16 and the ND8 as a 4, by setting the ISO on the camera to 200. It was great to have all the options in the Freewell 16 pack, but I mostly used the UV, ND 8, 64 and LPR filters, and having less options may well make for more flying and less filter changing
So I didn't mind paying half the price for three Polar Pro filters that I did for the Freewell Mega 16 pack. Having sold high end optics, Kahles, Swarovski, Zeiss, Leica, Shmidt and Bender,etc, in the outdoor industry for many years, I've been educated by these companies and have a working knowledge and experience in optics, and am well aware I get what I pay for.
Previously, I'd used a 6 pack of K+F ND filters for my Mini 2, and Freewells Mega 16 pack of filters, as well as one of K+F's variable ND's for my Mini 3 Pro. In my experience  the quality control of Freewell and K+F as well as glass quality are comparable, and certainly do what they are designed to do given the price point.
So Polar Pro shipped me the ND filters, I purchased them directly from their website. Shipping took the usual amount of time given that I'm in BC, Canada and I had to pay the import and tax fee's to get them through the border, which makes them about double in Chinada bucks what one would pay in the USA, lol.
Right away they were easier to handle than the filters I'd previously owned, and the case had some cut outs above and below the filter in the foam that made it easy to pick them in and out of the case without smudging them or dropping them, nice!.
Fitment onto the camera face was concerning, taking a bit of force to rotate and clip them onto the camera. I'd never removed the factory lense cover, so everything was brand new. After messing around for some time, I got the ND 8 to mount to the camera face, and the ND 32 seemed not as tight and mounted after a few attempts, the 128 is too tight in my opinion and I've yet to mount it. I've been in contact with Polar Pro customer service by email, and they graciously offered a replacement set, so thats all good. The frame is Aluminum, rather than the factory plastic, and Polar Pro has stated they require some break in time. This could also be an issue with variation in manufacturing on the lugs used on the camera face of the drone, hence the wear in on the lugs with a more precise aluminum frame, where as the Factory DJI cover and the other plastic frame filters have more clearance and flex, so we don't notice. Hard to say really...
They are a bit heavier, something you'll notice right away with the camera hanging down when the drones off, perhaps because of the aluminum frame, and good glass is dense, and is rarely light, a nessesary trade for good optics.
I've been out flying a number of times with the ND8, and ND32, and in my opinion glass quality is definitely a cut above, with neutral, natural color retained, and much less lense distortion than the other filters I've used on my drones.
Not much use to have a good quality camera, and then clip one or more peices of low quality glass in front of it. So I'm happy to see the Polar Pro filters are visibly superior in this regard.
Overall I'm happy I purchased the Polar Pro filters over another Freewell Mega 16 pack.
Their customer service has been reasonable and helpful, and if I can get the fitment issue solved, I'll be purchasing the Circular Polarizer and Vivid Collection of polarized ND's as well.

2-17 08:52
Use props
djiuser_uCmATh6neR9Q
New
Flight distance : 20535 ft
India

Hello there
Recently I crashed my mini 4 pro and its lens filter is now  broken and after these when I try to fly my drone its working properly but without the camera lens and my photos and videos are getting blurry what to do kindly suggest something.
Is lens cover is needed for the beeter result or without it we can get the good shots?
2-17 10:30
Use props
Manitobahunter
lvl.4
Canada

djiuser_uCmATh6neR9Q Posted at 2-17 10:30
Hello there
Recently I crashed my mini 4 pro and its lens filter is now  broken and after these when I try to fly my drone its working properly but without the camera lens and my photos and videos are getting blurry what to do kindly suggest something.
Is lens cover is needed for the beeter result or without it we can get the good shots?

The factory cover on your Mini 4 Pro has no lense, its just a pastic over with a hole in it. If your actual camera lense is broken, (not the cover that rotates counterclockwise to remove as you are looking at the front of the drone), or is unable to focus because its full of debris or stuck, you'll need to send it to Dji for repair.
2-17 10:43
Use props
Hitmax
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_uCmATh6neR9Q Posted at 2-17 10:30
Hello there

I have never had an issue like this myself - I think what you are saying it the original Lens Hood is damaged/lost this is only a lens hood so it should not effect the focus etc - I take it you have the Auto Focus on ? If it works ok with the filters on then I would suggest using them all the time however if it is also blurry then it maybe you have damaged the internal works when you crashed it so maybe you need to send it back to DJI have you got DJI Refresh if so I would use that and get it sorted - cheers Hieth
2-17 11:25
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Good video!
2-26 00:41
Use props
brain012
lvl.1

Pakistan

I take this pic with my camera
3-3 10:50
Use props
brain012
lvl.1

Pakistan

Determining the "best" ND filters for your DJI Mini 4 Pro depends on your specific needs and budget. However, some popular and well-regarded options include:

Freewell ND Filters: These filters are known for their good quality and competitive prices. They offer a variety of ND strengths, including ND8, ND16, ND32, ND64, and ND128, allowing you to choose the right filter for the lighting conditions.

PolarPro ND Filters: These filters are another high-quality option, and they also offer a variety of ND strengths, including ND8, ND16, ND32, ND64, and ND1000. They are known for their neutral color reproduction and minimal color cast.

Skyreat ND Filters: These filters are a more budget-friendly option, and they offer a variety of ND strengths, including ND8, ND16, ND32, and ND64. However, some users report that they may have a slight color cast.

DJI Official ND Filters: DJI also offers its own line of ND filters for the Mini 4 Pro. These filters are generally more expensive than other options, but they are guaranteed to be compatible with the drone.
Here are some additional factors to consider when choosing ND filters for your DJI Mini 4 Pro:

ND strength: The ND strength refers to how much light the filter blocks. Higher ND strengths will block more light, allowing you to use slower shutter speeds for smoother motion blur or create a more cinematic look.

Number of filters: Some ND filter kits come with multiple filters of different strengths, while others only come with a single filter. If you plan to shoot in a variety of lighting conditions, you may want to consider a kit with multiple filters.

Circular polarizer (CPL): A CPL filter can help to reduce glare and reflections, which can be especially helpful when shooting over water or snow. Some ND filters also come with a built-in CPL.
3-3 10:57
Use props
djiuser_gkh6jOvl6Xcg
lvl.1
Germany

Has anyone tried the NEEWER Variable ND Filter? Are they as good as the ones that are not variable?
3-3 17:55
Use props
Manitobahunter
lvl.4
Canada

I'll throw an endorsement in here for Polar Pro, after having Freewell filters for my Mini 3 Pro, and now Polar Pro for the Mini 4 Pro, I'll give the nod to the glass in the Polar Pro's. In my opinion, they have a more distortion free and color neutral glass. They also have an aluminum frame, which took some getting used to and wear in time. I had a fitment issue with the ND128 in my Mini 4 Pro set, I felt it was taking too much pressure to get it to click into place given the light camera and gimbal on the mini 4, but Polar Pro replaced the filter in a reasonable amount of time and the replacement required less pressure to click into place. They definitely have a tight fit, but once I had the ND8 on and off a quite a few times, things seemed to have settled in. I'm guessing the settling in is the anti reflection coating on the inside of the filters, it has a rough texture and I think it just smooths off a bit on the contact surfaces, the wear in so to speak, which is fine, and they're definitely not going to fall off
I'll be purchasing their polarized set in the near future.
3-3 21:05
Use props
Hitmax
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_gkh6jOvl6Xcg Posted at 3-3 17:55
Has anyone tried the NEEWER Variable ND Filter? Are they as good as the ones that are not variable?

Yeah I prefer the Freewell ones myself they are a good combination of  quality, cost and color neutral glass
3-4 10:30
Use props
Hitmax
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Manitobahunter Posted at 3-3 21:05
I'll throw an endorsement in here for Polar Pro, after having Freewell filters for my Mini 3 Pro, and now Polar Pro for the Mini 4 Pro, I'll give the nod to the glass in the Polar Pro's. In my opinion, they have a more distortion free and color neutral glass. They also have an aluminum frame, which took some getting used to and wear in time. I had a fitment issue with the ND128 in my Mini 4 Pro set, I felt it was taking too much pressure to get it to click into place given the light camera and gimbal on the mini 4, but Polar Pro replaced the filter in a reasonable amount of time and the replacement required less pressure to click into place. They definitely have a tight fit, but once I had the ND8 on and off a quite a few times, things seemed to have settled in. I'm guessing the settling in is the anti reflection coating on the inside of the filters, it has a rough texture and I think it just smooths off a bit on the contact surfaces, the wear in so to speak, which is fine, and they're definitely not going to fall off  
I'll be purchasing their polarized set in the near future.

I have always had Polar Pro over the years on my drones and cameras until I tried the Freewell ones a couple of years ago and must admit after comparing them both there is not much in it and it would be down to personal preference. The Freewell ones are good quality and have good color neutrality plus cost less all in all they are both good choices.
3-4 10:37
Use props
harweyko
lvl.3
Flight distance : 605121 ft

Slovakia

I've used K&F Concept Variable ND's on Mini3 and it had its pros and cons. It was really easy to adjust the required stop without removing the filter, it was possible to use also "semi stops", however on higher stop values (4-5) there was so much noise in the picture. Exif showed ISO 100 but the noise was like 3200 (see below).
With Mini4 I changed to K&F polarized ND filters and it is night and day compared to VND. Nice picture, good colors, no noise whatsoever, just the need to put the filter down and put on new one is time consuming sometimes. Filters are also made from aluminium, it was bit harder to put them on for first time but later I found a way how to do it. Overall I'm pretty happy with them.
dji_fly_20230603_125350_244_1685789782752_photo_optimized~2.jpg
3-4 12:11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules