Osmo action 4
543 6 2-24 13:29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
andywillett
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Hi
I want to fit a supplimenty lens infront of my osmo 4 (whilst in its underwater housing,)  that would ll cover the auto white balance sensor.

I experimented by covering the sensor over, ie so its does not see any light.
The camera seems to function fine and auto white balance correctly, I can read the kelvin tempature fine even tho the sensor is covered.
So what is the function of the sensor?
Is the going to be a colour issue if it is covered over at some point during recording?

Regards
Andy

2-24 13:29
Use props
Anonymous1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 602303 ft

Jamaica

Only when you have it in the AUTO setting that the sensor is used.  You can just set a manual value so that it doesn't keep changing the white balance on you if you plan on editing it on a PC later.
2-25 09:42
Use props
Anonymous1
lvl.4

Jamaica

I don't dive, but sometimes, I cheat by temporarily setting the sensor to AUTO to see what the camera suggests (while pointing at the subject) then set it to a manual value so the color temperature stays consistent.
2-25 09:44
Use props
Anonymous1
lvl.4

Jamaica

You could have multiple presets where the only thing that is different is color temperature.
One for deep water, one for shallow water, and another for above water.  You would just quickly stop recording, quick switch to another preset, and then resume recording in seconds.
2-25 09:46
Use props
ATW
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Anonymous1 Posted at 2-25 09:42
Only when you have it in the AUTO setting that the sensor is used.  You can just set a manual value so that it doesn't keep changing the white balance on you if you plan on editing it on a PC later.

Yes of course, I have preset a number of kelvin values into C1- C5. I'm interested to know how the front sensor assists with the auto white balance.
2-25 10:48
Use props
ATW
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Anonymous1 Posted at 2-25 09:46
You could have multiple presets where the only thing that is different is color temperature.
One for deep water, one for shallow water, and another for above water.  You would just quickly stop recording, quick switch to another preset, and then resume recording in seconds.

Absolutely, I have preset a number of kelvin values into C1- C5.  I'm still interested to know how the front sensor assists with the auto white balance algorithm.
2-25 10:50
Use props
DanielCardenas
lvl.1
United States

I haven't had any problems fully or partially covering the color temperature sensor. I covered my mics with deadcats to avoid excessive wind noise and clicking, and the color temperature has been fine in diverse situations.
2-25 14:01
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules