Recorded video freezes in middle of playback.
3734 7 2015-9-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
cableguy1970
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1809718 ft
United States

I have a troubling situation and I wanted to pose this to the forum to see if any one else has come across this issue. The last couple days I have noticed that my video recordings are freezing up at a particular moment and although the timer on playback continues to count,  the video is locked (frozen) at a moment in time. I can rewind and start back and it freezes at the same moment.

This only has happened during a long recording that causes two files to be produced on the flash card. The first file is always perfectly fine with approximately 9 min and 20 seconds of video. The second is were the issues is - the first occurrence was at 2 min and 39 secs in of a 6 min 43 sec clip and  the second time was 4 min and 2 secs in of a 5 min 47 sec clip.

I've linked the first example to this post to show demonstrate the issue. Each time I have stopped the recording prior to shutting down the inspire. The video resolution as set at 4k/30 each time. These occurrences have been only since updating to the most recent firmware posted to DJI's site on 9/7/15, previously I never had an issue...

Here is a video of whats occurring:

Any ideas why this is happening?

2015-9-11
Use props
cableguy1970
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1809718 ft
United States

PaulKerry Posted at 2015-9-11 20:21
Are you always using the same card?
If so, it could be that your card is failing. They do that, sadl ...

Thank you Paul - I'll try a different card in the AM on my next flight. I'll post my results here once I see what happens!
2015-9-11
Use props
sultangris01
lvl.4

United States

have you tried uploading the affected file to youtube or using a different computer to play it and see if it still happens?  might be a computer issue
2015-9-11
Use props
lord.j
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3111250 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hi,

Did you get to the bottom of the issue as I a similar experience. On a long video i.e. lasting more than 9m 21s, exactly 6 seconds into the the second file the video freezes but the timer continues to progress on playback.
2015-10-2
Use props
lord.j
lvl.1
  • >>>
United Kingdom

lord.j@btconnec Posted at 2015-10-2 20:31
Hi,

Did you get to the bottom of the issue as I a similar experience. On a long video i.e. lasting  ...

I think I may have narrowed it down in that I have been using a 64GB memory card that is formatted to exFAT recently.  Today I tried using the original 16GB card that came with the Inspire, which is formatted to FAT32 and had no problems.  I suspect that it will be the same with the 32GB card, which is also formatted to FAT32.  With exFAT it supports single files larger than 4GB so on the 64GB card there should be no need to limit the file size to 4GB, but it is limiting it so I could well believe that DJI have not supported exFAT correctly.
2015-10-4
Use props
lord.j
lvl.1
  • >>>
United Kingdom

lord.j@btconnec Posted at 2015-10-4 19:11
I think I may have narrowed it down in that I have been using a 64GB memory card that is formatted ...

Further update.

32GB card formatted with exFAT works fine. I copied the files to the 64GB card and they also run fine.  I put the 64GB card in a GoPro and recorded 40 minutes of video with no issues so the card is ok.

My conclusion therefore is that DJI have a specific issue with 64GB card, which have to be formatted to exFAT due to being over the FAT32 limit of 32GB.

Also tried recording using MOV as opposed to MP4 and the issue persists.

What would be interesting is for someone else who is using 64GB cards to do a similar test.
2015-10-5
Use props
brian
lvl.1
Flight distance : 5909 ft

United Kingdom

lord.j@btconnec Posted at 2015-10-5 19:46
Further update.

32GB card formatted with exFAT works fine. I copied the files to the 64GB card an ...

Hi

I'm suffering from exactly this issue using a couple of Lexar Professional 64GB Class 10 MicroSDXCs - and formatted as exFAT as per your case (32GB being a Microsoft imposed limit with FAT32). The problem only happens with long recordings where the Inspire splits the video into a second file, and only on the second file - usually very near the start (6 seconds in sounds about right).

I'd planned to do some testing this coming weekend but it seems you may have saved me the trouble - so thanks for that.

Just wondering if you had any more info around this? If I format my 64GB cards as FAT32 (assuming that's even possible) I realise it'll effectively turn them into 32GB cards, but I can live with that as I tend to take video off the cards frequently anyway - they probably never really contain more than 32GB anyway.

Anyway, sounds like a firmware issue that will probably/hopefully be addressed in the next release. I'd possibly also like to see them remove the need to split recorded video into 4GB files when writing to the exFAT file system - as long as the resulting file is consistently solid - one minor advantage of splitting video is that if one file is duff (as per this very issue) the other(s) hopefully are fine.

Anyway, thanks for reporting this and if you do have any further info please let me know.

Regards
Brian
2015-11-26
Use props
brian
lvl.1
Flight distance : 5909 ft

United Kingdom

brian Posted at 2015-11-26 10:42
Hi

I'm suffering from exactly this issue using a couple of Lexar Professional 64GB Class 10 Micro ...

Hi

Just an update as I've been doing more testing around this and can confirm that the issue does appear to relate only to 64GB cards formatted as exFAT.

It turns out the 32GB 'limit' of FAT32 is not a technical limit at all, but rather an artificial one imposed by Microsoft in the Windows 'format' tool long ago in order to encourage take up of NTFS. FAT32 is able to handle a 64GB partition size - indeed Windows itself can read a 64GB FAT32 file system - you just can't use Windows to format a 64GB FAT32 partition.

I found software that allows you to do just that - format a 64GB card as FAT32. The resulting card works fine in the Inspire 1, and so far (it's early days - I've only tested for around 30 mins total) results look promising. Video is still split into 4GB files as you'd expect but each file has played perfectly - no frozen video as yet whereas previously it seemed to happen every time.

So fingers crossed, hopefully problem solved.

The s/w tool (free) in question can be found here: FAT32 Formatter
2015-11-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules