HomePoint change in flight, but not by me!
123Next >
953 89 4-8 01:16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12401030 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi,
Happend again, looking at my flight data i noticed a HomePoint change, this at almost 8 minute in flight.
In the log "Home Point Updated", but on the screen recording nothing seen.
New HP very close to the HP wich was set at takeoff, approx 40 cm difference, so the actual LatLon data is changed!

As the changed HP is only 40 cm away from the set HP at start, it is not a problem (this time)...but should not happen ofcourse.
Buy what if HP is set 15 meters away from my HP ??  a RTH to home can end in disaster!

Any others on here with the same experience ?

cheers
JJB

HPchangeOnItsOwn.png
4-8 01:16
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Can you share the .txt file?

As the changed HP is only 40 cm away from the set HP at start, it is not a problem.
The important question is ... how far away from the homepoint was the drone when this happened?
Can you share the txt file?

4-8 02:33
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Labroides Posted at 4-8 02:33
As the changed HP is only 40 cm away from the set HP at start, it is not a problem.
The important question is ... how far away from the homepoint was the drone when this happened?
Can you share the txt file?

Hi,

Why is the distance Drone to HomePoint important ?

HomePoint is set at takeoff ( if you wait for the white GPS icon), after this HomePoint must remain the same the whole flight.
Or do you know circimstances where, out of the blue, the software changes HP without any user action ?
cheers
JJB
4-8 04:53
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

JJB* Posted at 4-8 04:53
Hi,

I would have thought it was obvious.
You mentioned that somewhere in your flight the homepoint jumped to a point less than a metre from the original homepoint.
Was the new homepoint where the drone was at the time, or was it a long way from where the drone was?
4-8 06:22
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Labroides Posted at 4-8 06:22
I would have thought it was obvious.
You mentioned that somewhere in your flight the homepoint jumped to a point less than a metre from the original homepoint.

Hi,

Drone was not flying close (what is close...) to the original HP, moment of change drone was flying 31 meters away from HP.
In a previous HP reset in flight (not by me) drone was flying > 100 meter away from HP.

DJI should look into this.

cheers
jJB

4-8 06:27
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

JJB* Posted at 4-8 06:27
Hi,

Drone was not flying close (what is close...) to the original HP, moment of change drone was flying 31 meters away from HP.

It's hard t imagine how the homepoint could be reset to anywhere other than where the drone is at the time.
Something else is happening here.
4-8 06:56
Use props
Serg SSA
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 6406329 ft
  • >>>
Russia

Labroides Posted at 4-8 06:56
It's hard t imagine how the homepoint could be reset to anywhere other than where the drone is at the time.

Not difficult at all)
HP can be installed in the place where the operator is located, and this is right next to the take-off point)Looks like that's exactly what's happening
4-8 07:46
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Labroides Posted at 4-8 06:56

True, normally a HomePoint reset in flight will not happen, only possible by the remote pilot in the FlyApp menu, 3 options: set to drone position, set to Controller or swipe the map to select a other position.

I did not use this option!

And as you see in my chart the actual Lat Lon data for HomePoint did change!   

cheers
JJB
4-8 08:05
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Serg SSA Posted at 4-8 07:46
Not difficult at all)
HP can be installed in the place where the operator is located, and this is right next to the take-off point)Looks like that's exactly what's happening

Hi Serg,

Not difficult ?  don`t understand your writing.

cheers
JJB
4-8 08:06
Use props
Serg SSA
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Russia

JJB* Posted at 4-8 08:05
True, normally a HomePoint reset in flight will not happen, only possible by the remote pilot in the FlyApp menu, 3 options: set to drone position, set to Controller or swipe the map to select a other position.

I did not use this option!

And they probably changed the position of the remote control.
4-8 08:08
Use props
Serg SSA
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Russia

JJB* Posted at 4-8 08:06
Hi Serg,

Not difficult ?  don`t understand your writing.
Hello!
The position of the home point is recorded randomly and probably indicates the location of the remote control.
4-8 08:10
Use props
FabioV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 980066 ft
Italy

It happened to me too. I thought I did something wrong, but now that you're describing the issue, I'm sure I did not. The new HP was very close to the original one, probably in the place the RC was at that time.
4-8 09:09
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Serg SSA Posted at 4-8 08:10
Hello!
The position of the home point is recorded randomly and probably indicates the location of the remote control.

Omg, are you serious ?   "homepoint recorded randomly"??

In the 'near' future, if we believe DJI, it is possible that HP follows the RC position, but not at this moment on the curent firmware.

cheers
JJB

4-8 09:43
Use props
Serg SSA
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Russia

JJB* Posted at 4-8 09:43
Omg, are you serious ?   "homepoint recorded randomly"??

In the 'near' future, if we believe DJI, it is possible that HP follows the RC position, but not at this moment on the curent firmware.

I'm trying to explain what's happening. The home point was accidentally updated, the question arose to what value? I assumed that this is the new value of the position of the remote control at the time of the update.Of course this requires clarification from DJI
4-8 09:58
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Serg SSA Posted at 4-8 09:58
I'm trying to explain what's happening. The home point was accidentally updated, the question arose to what value? I assumed that this is the new value of the position of the remote control at the time of the update.Of course this requires clarification from DJI

Hi Serg,

in both logs the accidentally updated Homepoint was very close to the original takeoff position of the drone, waited for white GPS icon so HP was set at takeoff position in both logs.
In this flight (post#1) the RC was not at the same position as when started, approx 10 meter away from start position, but updated HP was 40 cm away from initial HP.

cheers
JJB
4-8 11:26
Use props
Serg SSA
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Russia

JJB* Posted at 4-8 11:26
Hi Serg,

in both logs the accidentally updated Homepoint was very close to the original takeoff position of the drone, waited for white GPS icon so HP was set at takeoff position in both logs.

Hi!
The change at 40 cm is very small... Could the reason be that the drone “clarified” the position of the home point because it received more accurate data from satellites?Has the number of received satellites increased?
4-8 13:31
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Hi Serg,

You cannot reset the HP to the location of the controller, without selecting that option.
When the HP updates itself if you fly away a little early, there are no options and will always update to the drone's current location.

If the drone is nowhere near your HP and updates to a spot only 0.4 metres from the original HP, it might not be, but sounds like a delayed message coming through?
4-8 13:46
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Serg SSA Posted at 4-8 13:31
Hi!
The change at 40 cm is very small... Could the reason be that the drone “clarified” the position of the home point because it received more accurate data from satellites?Has the number of received satellites increased?

Serg, as far as I know DJI does not currently support the automatic changing of the home point location to the controller's location, I think that is referred to as have a dynamic homepoint.
Currently, as far as I know, changing the home point to the controller's location has to be done manually by the pilot and it is changed to a fixed point.
So, if the pilot was walking and want to update the home point frequently, the pilot has to go through the update process each and every time.
4-8 13:53
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

OK a question for those people that have had this happen, in terms of distance, how big was the change ?
4-8 13:55
Use props
Serg SSA
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Russia

Labroides Posted at 4-8 13:46
You cannot reset the HP to the location of the controller, without selecting that option.
When the HP updates itself if you fly away a little early, there are no options and will always update to the drone's current location.

I know it. But we are looking at an unexplained phenomenon and I am looking for a reason. For some reason unknown to us, a spontaneous update occurred. The first question is what coordinate of the new point of the house was recorded by the drone? Drone or remote control? Most likely the remote control, that's what I assumed.
I know well about the dynamic point home) I used it in the GO 4 application of the first version when it worked.
4-8 14:04
Use props
Serg SSA
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Russia

Hi Serg,

I have another guess. Was the remote control connected to the Internet?
4-8 14:09
Use props
Serg SSA
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Russia

Hi Serg,

There is an assumption that the drone updated its almanac of satellite positions and recalculated the coordinates of the house point based on more accurate data.
4-8 14:21
Use props
Serg SSA
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Russia

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 4-8 13:53
Serg, as far as I know DJI does not currently support the automatic changing of the home point location to the controller's location, I think that is referred to as have a dynamic homepoint.
Currently, as far as I know, changing the home point to the controller's location has to be done manually by the pilot and it is changed to a fixed point.
So, if the pilot was walking and want to update the home point frequently, the pilot has to go through the update process each and every time.

That's right, I assumed there was an error in the software as a result of which a spontaneous one-time update of the position to the position of the remote control occurred.
4-8 14:24
Use props
MKmini4
lvl.3
Germany

Maybe it's also due to increased solar activity. It has an 11-year cycle and is expected to peak in 2025. Currently, the activity is already very high. This can lead to disruptions and thereby affect accuracy.
4-8 15:11
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

MKmini4 Posted at 4-8 15:11
Maybe it's also due to increased solar activity. It has an 11-year cycle and is expected to peak in 2025. Currently, the activity is already very high. This can lead to disruptions and thereby affect accuracy.

No .. this had nothing at all to do with solar activity
Even if there was some inaccuracy in the GPS location data, that wouldn't cause the drone to record a new home point.

4-8 16:06
Use props
Jim_H
lvl.3
Flight distance : 787152 ft
Malaysia

Thanks for highlighting it, something for me to notice when I fly.
So far, it never happened to me.
4-8 17:16
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Labroides Posted at 4-8 13:46

Hi,

Not a delayed message (after 8 minutes in flight), the actual LatLon data of the HomePoint was changed in the llog, see picture in post #1.

cheers
JJB
4-8 23:08
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Serg SSA Posted at 4-8 14:09
I have another guess. Was the remote control connected to the Internet?

No, RC was not connected.
4-8 23:09
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Serg SSA Posted at 4-8 14:21
There is an assumption that the drone updated its almanac of satellite positions and recalculated the coordinates of the house point based on more accurate data.

nah, not possible ofcourse, HP posution is stored in the drone, so how would it be possible to reset that stored position to more accurate position when drone is flying somewhere else ?

cheers
JJB
4-8 23:11
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Serg SSA Posted at 4-8 14:04
I know it. But we are looking at an unexplained phenomenon and I am looking for a reason. For some reason unknown to us, a spontaneous update occurred. The first question is what coordinate of the new point of the house was recorded by the drone? Drone or remote control? Most likely the remote control, that's what I assumed.
I know well about the dynamic point home) I used it in the GO 4 application of the first version when it worked.

as said in post #21, updated HP after 8 minutes near the original HP set at take off.
Not the RC position. (RC was 'walked' away for about 10 meter from the takeoff position)
4-8 23:15
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Serg SSA Posted at 4-8 14:24
That's right, I assumed there was an error in the software as a result of which a spontaneous one-time update of the position to the position of the remote control occurred.

nah, updated position NOT the position of the RC.
4-8 23:16
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

JJB* Posted at 4-8 23:08
Hi,

Not a delayed message (after 8 minutes in flight), the actual LatLon data of the HomePoint was changed in the llog, see picture in post #1.

Not a delayed message (after 8 minutes in flight)
Any time you launch prematurely, the homepoint will be recorded wherever the drone is at the time it gets good location data.

But in this case where the drone isn't at the updated home point, in effect it is a delayed update message.
How can the drone update the homepoint when the drone isn't there?

If you posted the .txt file, there would be a lot more context to this story with GPS reliability distances etc to be seen.
Perhaps it would provide some clues to help understand what happenein effectd.
4-8 23:29
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Labroides Posted at 4-8 23:29
If you posted the .txt file, there would be a lot more context to this story with GPS reliability distances etc to be seen.
Perhaps it would provide some clues to help understand what happened.

Hi  data is perfectly seen in post #1.

As said, on the screen recording no messages about updating HP in flight.
In the log, see picture post #1,  lat lon is show and distances to homepoint (HD column)
Nothing else in the log.

cheers
JJB
4-8 23:35
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

JJB* Posted at 4-8 23:35
Hi  data is perfectly seen in post #1.

As said, on the screen recording no messages about updating HP in flight.

data is perfectly seen in post #1.
If it was I wouldn't be asking for it.
All that's visible is a small subset of the data.

If you don't intend sharing it, just say so.

4-8 23:38
Use props
Serg SSA
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Russia

JJB* Posted at 4-8 23:11
nah, not possible ofcourse, HP posution is stored in the drone, so how would it be possible to reset that stored position to more accurate position when drone is flying somewhere else ?

cheers

Why is this not possible? Yes, HP is stored on the drone, the satellite position almanac is constantly updated and transmitted with data from the satellite and the drone receives it. Having received new data, the drone adjusted its HP and naturally did not inform the operator about this so as not to mislead.

4-8 23:55
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Labroides Posted at 4-8 23:38
data is perfectly seen in post #1.
If it was I wouldn't be asking for it.
All that's visible is a small subset of the data.

There is not more to find in the data, so no need to share log.

Plus location in log is too private for good reasons for sharing.

cheers
JJB
4-9 00:26
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Serg SSA Posted at 4-8 23:55
Why is this not possible? Yes, HP is stored on the drone, the satellite position almanac is constantly updated and transmitted with data from the satellite and the drone receives it. Having received new data, the drone adjusted its HP and naturally did not inform the operator about this so as not to mislead.

nope, imo not possible.

Flying now 7 years DJI drones, and have seen this only 2 times that HP was changed during flight.
Have flown several times away with low signal quality (on purpose) and never was HP changed when signal quality got better in flight.
In this flight (post#1) GPS reception was solid and steady all flight.

About not misleading the operator, uh   i would for sure need to know that HP is changed in flight.
Suppose i start my flight next to the sea front, and updating due to more accurancy HP is move 10 meters above the sea.....nice RTH when drone looses connection....

cheers
JJB
4-9 00:34
Use props
Serg SSA
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Russia

JJB* Posted at 4-9 00:34
nope, imo not possible.

Flying now 7 years DJI drones, and have seen this only 2 times that HP was changed during flight.

The almanac of satellite positions rarely changes, so you have not noticed before and the data cannot change significantly, these are small fluctuations of satellites in orbit. HP cannot move a meter due to this, and will not affect safety.
Would like to hear back from DJI
4-9 00:41
Use props
Serg SSA
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Russia

JJB* Posted at 4-9 00:34
nope, imo not possible.

Flying now 7 years DJI drones, and have seen this only 2 times that HP was changed during flight.

Moreover, in fact, the position of your home point has not changed AT ALL, its coordinates have simply been clarified so that in reality they indicate the same point. They were just initially determined with a greater error. Therefore, this does not affect security in any way.That's why there was no message
4-9 00:47
Use props
MKmini4
lvl.3
Germany

I agree with Serg SSA on that. And the reason for the correction could be the increased solar activity. All in all, not a big deal and no reason to worry.
4-9 01:16
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules