Still no 25 fps in Avata series (no 24 also)
439 18 4-14 10:33
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MarcinDzi
lvl.1
Poland

So I've just bought Avata 2, and I see that there's still no 25fps option (europe / pal) - only 50fps..For (usa / ntsc) there's 30fps (and of course 60fps), so why not put 24 and 25 fps option with next firmware like in every other DJI products?
Please treat Avata as a true addition to your product line and give opportunity to take full advantage of its capabilities without connecting a GoPro

ps. don't tell me that it's not possible or some other mumbo-jumbo Just look at beautiful framedrops from Avata 2 promo videos from some youtubers, who got first units
It IS a real problem when you're mixing 24/25 fps project with 30fps footage.

ps.2. also - 24/25fps with same bitrate as 50/60fps = better overall image with more details..

4-14 10:33
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. We appreciate you explaining how it would help you out. While that feature isn’t currently in our development roadmap, we will forward this to our relevant team to look at its possibilities that include improvements and will be helpful for the majority of our customers. However, we wish to inform you that there is no guarantee this will be featured. Thank you for your understanding and support.
4-14 19:16
Use props
Georgi Tushev
New

United States

People literally refused me to use Avata 2 on the set after told the DP that there is no 24fps! Come on DJI, just do it you can!
4-20 16:41
Use props
MarcinDzi
lvl.1
Poland

DJI Paladin Posted at 4-14 19:16
Hi there. We appreciate you explaining how it would help you out. While that feature isn’t currently in our development roadmap, we will forward this to our relevant team to look at its possibilities that include improvements and will be helpful for the majority of our customers. However, we wish to inform you that there is no guarantee this will be featured. Thank you for your understanding and support.

So... the big problem is latency with goggles? If I get it right - with higher resolution and lower FPS we'll get higher latency. On Goggles 3 specs is: " 1080p/100fps video transmission quality: latency down to 24 ms
‌1080p/60fps video transmission quality: latency down to 40 ms"

But there's a golden mean: Give us 24 and 25fps as menu option default turned off. When user want to turn it on (in both 4K 16:9 and 4:3) just put disclaimer with possibly risk (similar when you want turn on M mode in DJI FPV Remote Controller 3), et voila! We have option what we need, and you've warned us of possibly risks with big latency. I'll believe it's a win-win situation

ps. option in menu for HDR video on/off would be also great.
4-24 13:41
Use props
fichek
Second Officer
Flight distance : 954216 ft
  • >>>
Croatia

What possible use case is there for 24fps? You're not gonna be using Avata 2 footage in cinema, are you?

If you need 25fps for EU television just use 50 (or even 100) and cut unneeded frames. Done.

I'd personally get rid of 30fps mode too since it feels like flying through a slideshow.

I also have to comment on "Just look at beautiful framedrops from Avata 2 promo videos from some youtubers, who got first units" - maybe if YouTubers stopped this absolute silliness of "24fPs Is CiNeMaTiC", we could all watch videos in a frame rate that doesn't have to interpolate frames on majority of displays in the world... This way you have 30/60/100/whatever fps video rendered into a 24fps timeline displaying on a (most likely) 60hz display and you're losing data twice in the process. It's just beyond dumb.

4-24 15:33
Use props
Marcin Golik
lvl.1
Poland

fichek Posted at 4-24 15:33
What possible use case is there for 24fps? You're not gonna be using Avata 2 footage in cinema, are you?

If you need 25fps for EU television just use 50 (or even 100) and cut unneeded frames. Done.

@fichek:
Don't be ignorant. Every DJI drone as I remember, and I'm DJI owner since Phantom 3, has 24/25 fps.
Apart from latency, I see no reason why not add in Avata 24/25 fps option as described earlier.
4-24 23:18
Use props
Luca Rubino
Second Officer
Flight distance : 711512 ft
  • >>>
Italy

Marcin Golik Posted at 4-24 23:18
@fichek:
Don't be ignorant. Every DJI drone as I remember, and I'm DJI owner since Phantom 3, has 24/25 fps.
Apart from latency, I see no reason why not add in Avata 24/25 fps option as described earlier.

"Apart from latency, I see no reason why not add in Avata 24/25 fps option as described earlier."

In an FPV drone, latency is the most important thing. It is also dangerous to fly with high latency.
As @Fichek said, use 50 fps and use 360 degrees of exposure and you could have a 25 fps video with 1/50 exposure. And much less latency while flying.
  The Phantom is not an FPV drone. You fly it in VLOS. It is not possible to compare the two drones.
4-25 02:48
Use props
Luca Rubino
Second Officer
Flight distance : 711512 ft
  • >>>
Italy

@fichek:

There is no one VTX out there recording at 24/25 fps.
No DJI, no Walksnail and no HD-Zero VTXs. If you like to compare things.
4-25 02:52
Use props
MarcinDzi
lvl.1
Poland

fichek Posted at 4-24 15:33

Here in Europe I record all materials at 25fps (sometimes in 50/100fps for slowmo). I also don't like in general look of 50/60fps movies. And whether I will use the recorded material in a full-length film or in social media - I want to have a choice. Is it so hard to understand?
Also from what you claim, I don't think you understand what bitrate is. When recording at 25fps you have twice as much data per frame (vs 50fps), not to mention of low-light situation and lowering shutter. And I know it probably wouldn't be safe to fly with 1/25 shutter ;) but not everyone needs to fly in acro either.
4-25 02:56
Use props
MarcinDzi
lvl.1
Poland

Luca Rubino Posted at 4-25 02:48
"Apart from latency, I see no reason why not add in Avata 24/25 fps option as described earlier."

In an FPV drone, latency is the most important thing. It is also dangerous to fly with high latency.

That's why I proposed a solution similar to turning on manual mode in DJI FPV Remote Controller 3. That is, only for those who really need it.
One example where this can be used is low-light scenarios with dark interiors in buildings when slowly flying around the property.

And don't get me wrong - I am aware of latency, but it's nice to have such an option to choose from, even if it is "hidden".
4-25 03:07
Use props
fichek
Second Officer
  • >>>
Croatia

@fichek:

Who's being ignorant by trying to keep alive 100+ year old standard that has no place in today's age? http://digifonics.com/24-fps.html
4-25 04:51
Use props
fichek
Second Officer
  • >>>
Croatia

MarcinDzi Posted at 4-25 02:56
Here in Europe I record all materials at 25fps (sometimes in 50/100fps for slowmo). I also don't like in general look of 50/60fps movies. And whether I will use the recorded material in a full-length film or in social media - I want to have a choice. Is it so hard to understand?
Also from what you claim, I don't think you understand what bitrate is. When recording at 25fps you have twice as much data per frame (vs 50fps), not to mention of low-light situation and lowering shutter. And I know it probably wouldn't be safe to fly with 1/25 shutter ;) but not everyone needs to fly in acro either.

Yeah, it's really hard to understand why you would use 24/25/50 fps footage on social media when majority of users will be viewing it on 60hz screens. This practice needs to die. It makes no sense. You get a tiny bit more bitrate from social media platforms (you don't get double bitrate while recording btw as you implied in another post, at least not with Avata series, see screenshots below for 4K 4:3 10bit footage from Avata 2), but you lose fluidity of motion even if it was recorded at "correct" frame rate.

4-25 05:09
Use props
fansd588b18f
lvl.1

Australia

DJI Paladin Posted at 4-14 19:16

25p would allow twice as much light to the sensor meaning a lower ISO could be used to record interior shots. The frame rate is fine for slow indoor flights and would basically mean the end of having to strap a GoPro to DJI products just to get a 25p frame rate. We already have 30p for the American market but no 25p for the European and Australian markets.Before we had to use Gopro's because it was a way better camera but now we have the same sensor as the action 4 its now on par with the Gopro apart from this one little addition
I'm hoping that this will become a reality in the next firmware update ??
4-25 05:45
Use props
fansd588b18f
lvl.1

Australia

fichek Posted at 4-25 05:09
Yeah, it's really hard to understand why you would use 24/25/50 fps footage on social media when majority of users will be viewing it on 60hz screens. This practice needs to die. It makes no sense. You get a tiny bit more bitrate from social media platforms (you don't get double bitrate while recording btw as you implied in another post, at least not with Avata series, see screenshots below for 4K 4:3 10bit footage from Avata 2), but you lose fluidity of motion even if it was recorded at "correct" frame rate.

[view_image]

Problem is in Europe and like us in Australia we need 50hz to stop the interior lights from flickering, especially LED's  which is also why there is a real need for 25p when flying indoor tours. Plus we get twice as much light on the sensor with that frame rate meaning we can use a lower ISO so less noise in the image. Fine shooting 30p if all the interior lights are tungsten but they never are and don't get me started on strip lights lol
4-25 05:53
Use props
fichek
Second Officer
  • >>>
Croatia

fansd588b18f Posted at 4-25 05:53
Problem is in Europe and like us in Australia we need 50hz to stop the interior lights from flickering, especially LED's  which is also why there is a real need for 25p when flying indoor tours. Plus we get twice as much light on the sensor with that frame rate meaning we can use a lower ISO so less noise in the image. Fine shooting 30p if all the interior lights are tungsten but they never are and don't get me started on strip lights lol

I'm in EU and had no issue shooting 60 or 120 fps (on old Avata with V2 goggles, sad that newer ones can't do that) with a factor of 1/50 shutter speed. There's also anti-flicker feature that's on by default on Avata, not sure if that also helps in some way (or if it just prefers adjusting shutter to match flickering when on full auto settings).
4-25 11:37
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

fansd588b18f Posted at 4-25 05:45
25p would allow twice as much light to the sensor meaning a lower ISO could be used to record interior shots. The frame rate is fine for slow indoor flights and would basically mean the end of having to strap a GoPro to DJI products just to get a 25p frame rate. We already have 30p for the American market but no 25p for the European and Australian markets.Before we had to use Gopro's because it was a way better camera but now we have the same sensor as the action 4 its now on par with the Gopro apart from this one little addition
I'm hoping that this will become a reality in the next firmware update ??

Thank you for your response. Rest assured that we will continue to record such feedback to reach our designated team. Should you have other inquiries, feel free to contact us. Have a nice day.
4-26 19:30
Use props
fichek
Second Officer
  • >>>
Croatia

DJI Paladin Posted at 4-26 19:30
Thank you for your response. Rest assured that we will continue to record such feedback to reach our designated team. Should you have other inquiries, feel free to contact us. Have a nice day.

Please if considering adding new frame rate options, let there be 90fps. It would be the highest possible frame rate on newer goggles (2/Integra/3) that's divisible by 30, so we could have the best compromise between lower latency and useable footage for majority of screens out there. That would be great for all devices these 3 pairs of goggles support including the original Avata, O3 Air Unit, original FPV Air Unit, DJI FPV and so on. Thanks.
4-26 23:11
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

MarcinDzi Posted at 4-24 13:41
So... the big problem is latency with goggles? If I get it right - with higher resolution and lower FPS we'll get higher latency. On Goggles 3 specs is: " 1080p/100fps video transmission quality: latency down to 24 ms
‌1080p/60fps video transmission quality: latency down to 40 ms"

We appreciate your feedback. We will gather your feedback and forward it to our designated team for attention. Your understanding is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
4-27 02:53
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

fichek Posted at 4-26 23:11
Please if considering adding new frame rate options, let there be 90fps. It would be the highest possible frame rate on newer goggles (2/Integra/3) that's divisible by 30, so we could have the best compromise between lower latency and useable footage for majority of screens out there. That would be great for all devices these 3 pairs of goggles support including the original Avata, O3 Air Unit, original FPV Air Unit, DJI FPV and so on. Thanks.

Thank you for your feedback. We really appreciate the time and effort you have invested in providing this suggestion to us. Your feedback will be cascaded to the concerned team for further review. Your understanding is highly appreciated.
4-27 02:54
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules