657 39 4-22 02:21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SaurabhSrivastava
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2380479 ft
  • >>>
India

Did anyone notice this Rocky behaviour of flight with Avata 2 in the live view? Doesn't seem right.
My avata 2 keeps rocking left and right slightly all the time even without winds... Please check yours... Look on the edges of the screen and it will show up.
Rocksteady takes care of most of it but that isn't quite right...

Madstech on YT has also pointed this out and DJI needs to fix this.

This behaviour is quite prominent while the aircraft is in RTH.

Request all to please check this by carefully observing the left and right edges of the goggles while flying straight.

This behaviour was also displayed by Avata 1, but only during the RTH. It appears to be a genetic problem.

4-22 02:21
Use props
SaurabhSrivastava
lvl.3
  • >>>
India

It will be great if all users of Avata 2 can check and confirm this behaviour. As more and more people report this, DJI may look into this and do a fix.
4-22 02:28
Use props
fichek
Second Officer
Flight distance : 915554 ft
  • >>>
Croatia

I haven't flown mine outdoors a lot yet since I have a broken leg, but indoors it's 100% stable just like the first one, if not more.
4-22 03:56
Use props
SaurabhSrivastava
lvl.3
  • >>>
India

fichek Posted at 4-22 03:56
I haven't flown mine outdoors a lot yet since I have a broken leg, but indoors it's 100% stable just like the first one, if not more.

This happens only in the GPS aided flight. Outdoors.
4-22 04:59
Use props
nightfly
lvl.4

Romania

lets put the mads tech video for everyone to know what its all about, at 9.12 min

4-22 07:13
Use props
AlSo-Fotografie
lvl.3
Flight distance : 423907 ft
  • >>>
Germany

yep i can confirm that. Tested it on a calm day. Small jittery movements on this axis.
4-22 07:46
Use props
SaurabhSrivastava
lvl.3
  • >>>
India

AlSo-Fotografie Posted at 4-22 07:46
yep i can confirm that. Tested it on a calm day. Small jittery movements on this axis.

Try RTH. It will be quite evident.
4-22 08:39
Use props
BudWalker
First Officer
Flight distance : 5966247 ft
  • >>>
United States

I believe this is normal behavior. RockSteady and HorizonSteady are applied to the recoded footage and not to the view seen in the goggles.
No wind conditions won't completely eliminate the need for the Avata 2 to make minor adjustments in the X axis; it will need to roll back and forth some.

4-22 09:30
Use props
SaurabhSrivastava
lvl.3
  • >>>
India

BudWalker Posted at 4-22 09:30
I believe this is normal behavior. RockSteady and HorizonSteady are applied to the recoded footage and not to the view seen in the goggles.
No wind conditions won't completely eliminate the need for the Avata 2 to make minor adjustments in the X axis; it will need to roll back and forth some.

Avata 1 did not do this and this is a weird behaviour. Doesn't make sense... It's not tuned properly. I would call this a BUG
4-22 10:37
Use props
BudWalker
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

SaurabhSrivastava Posted at 4-22 10:37
Avata 1 did not do this and this is a weird behaviour. Doesn't make sense... It's not tuned properly. I would call this a BUG

Mine does. Even if there is 0 wind the Avata or Avata 2 will have to make roll corrections. Those corrections will appear in the goggle view and any recording made of the goggle view.
4-22 14:07
Use props
SaurabhSrivastava
lvl.3
  • >>>
India

Avata 1 did not have this in Normal / Sports behaviour.
It does this ONLY during RTH.
4-22 18:50
Use props
SaurabhSrivastava
lvl.3
  • >>>
India

Even if it is a weird behaviour, it's not acceptable.
DJI drones are known for their stability and flight characteristics.

This is tuning issue or a bug. It can be sorted with a firmware update.
4-22 18:53
Use props
BudWalker
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

nightfly Posted at 4-22 07:13
lets put the mads tech video for everyone to know what its all about, at 9.12 min

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAv01xLKyi8

The rocking behavior shown in the YouTube in post #5 takes place while the Avata 2 is close to the ground. Close enough that the Avata 2 is in turbulence created by prop blast hitting the ground.
4-23 05:45
Use props
Arri_fpv
lvl.2
Flight distance : 88248 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

fichek Posted at 4-22 03:56
I haven't flown mine outdoors a lot yet since I have a broken leg, but indoors it's 100% stable just like the first one, if not more.

Can you fly indoors without gps lock?
4-23 06:19
Use props
fichek
Second Officer
  • >>>
Croatia

Arri_fpv Posted at 4-23 06:19
Can you fly indoors without gps lock?

Yeah, N/S modes work using vision sensors (up to 20m on Avata 2 iirc). It's still perfectly stable as long as there's some light.
4-23 06:34
Use props
SaurabhSrivastava
lvl.3
  • >>>
India

BudWalker Posted at 4-23 05:45
The rocking behavior shown in the YouTube in post #5 takes place while the Avata 2 is close to the ground. Close enough that the Avata 2 is in turbulence created by prop blast hitting the ground.

No. It's not the ground effect. Fly it 30 meters high and you will still see it. This happens only in GPS flights....indoors, it flies beautiful
Do an RTH, and watch the show
4-23 08:33
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Yep mine is doing this as well.
4-23 22:24
Use props
yogi053
Second Officer
Flight distance : 26104915 ft
United Kingdom

More good information from this forum. Thanks to all concerned.
4-24 01:24
Use props
SaurabhSrivastava
lvl.3
  • >>>
India

Are the DJI reps following this thread? I hope they are noticing this issue and are working on it.
4-24 01:56
Use props
The Duck
lvl.4
United States

I see some minor wind corrections in Normal mode and Sport mode; they normal corrections to keep the drone in place.  Remember that this is not a Mavic and doesn't have a 3 axis gimbal to compensate for roll or yaw..

But there seems to be an issue in RTH.  It's very prominent when the Avata 2 backtracks to the position where it lost signal.  I'm sure DJI already knows about this.  Here's a cool video where a guy almost lost the Avata 2 he was reviewing.

4-24 03:23
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, SaurabhSrivastava. Thank you for reaching out. Let me forward this to our relevant team for further checking. We'll keep you posted.
4-25 06:14
Use props
SaurabhSrivastava
lvl.3
  • >>>
India

DJI Gamora Posted at 4-25 06:14
Hi, SaurabhSrivastava. Thank you for reaching out. Let me forward this to our relevant team for further checking. We'll keep you posted.

Thank you DJI. Shall await your reply
4-25 10:57
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

SaurabhSrivastava Posted at 4-25 10:57
Thank you DJI. Shall await your reply

Hi, SaurabhSrivastava. Please check my DM regarding the topic we discussed. Thank you.
4-26 07:16
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

Have we decided this only happens when back-tracking during the FailSafe RTH and therefore it's not really an "issue" since we want to drone to do what is necessary and best during an "emergency" situation?  Also the Avata 1 has FailSafe RTH, does it rock as well?
4-26 15:19
Use props
SaurabhSrivastava
lvl.3
  • >>>
India

The Saint Posted at 4-26 15:19
Have we decided this only happens when back-tracking during the FailSafe RTH and therefore it's not really an "issue" since we want to drone to do what is necessary and best during an "emergency" situation?  Also the Avata 1 has FailSafe RTH, does it rock as well?

In Avata 2, the rocking motion is there in all GPS modes even when flying in Normal or sports mode but it is less apparent. In RTH, it is more apparent and the Avata 1 also has this but only in RTH.
This rocking motion is not due to any external factors like wind etc. It happens even in calm weather. To me it seems like a tuning issue.

DJI has DM me saying that they are looking into this issue.
4-27 00:54
Use props
nightfly
lvl.4

Romania

DJI Gamora Posted at 4-25 06:14

so its a known issue for dji and the tech team is trying to solve it?
i am asking because i am interested in buying a avata 2 but i want to wait to see how this issue is solved
4-27 03:10
Use props
SaurabhSrivastava
lvl.3
  • >>>
India

nightfly Posted at 4-27 03:10
i am asking because i am interested in buying a avata 2 but i want to wait to see how this issue is solved

Yes. Hopefully they will...
At this time, it's just wait and watch
4-27 04:47
Use props
SaurabhSrivastava
lvl.3
  • >>>
India

4-28 02:38
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

nightfly Posted at 4-27 03:10

We have replied to your DM, please check. Thank you.
4-29 08:14
Use props
ZP Tafner
lvl.1

Brazil

DJI Gamora Posted at 4-29 08:14
We have replied to your DM, please check. Thank you.

I would also like to receive the same answer, please.
4-29 09:51
Use props
SaurabhSrivastava
lvl.3
  • >>>
India

Reply received from DJI :

Thank you for patiently waiting, SaurabhSrivastava. As per our relevant team, based on the video provided. The shaking may be caused by the near-earth flight being disturbed by its own vortex. The 520 gimbal itself does not have a roll axis, and the roll axis may shake if there is wind or other interference.
4-29 20:40
Use props
SaurabhSrivastava
lvl.3
  • >>>
India

DJI seems to blame this on own vortex created by the drone which is NOT CORRECT.
I being an aeronautical engineer understand what vortices are....
This behaviour is apparent even at higher altitudes where there is no ground effect or self vortex without any winds.
This is very much apparent during RTH ATHIGHER ALTITUDES AS WELL

Requesting DJI to please do a proper test and revert with a solution. I believe this is a firmware algorithm issue and not due to any external factors.
4-29 20:44
Use props
fichek
Second Officer
  • >>>
Croatia

SaurabhSrivastava Posted at 4-29 20:44
DJI seems to blame this on own vortex created by the drone which is NOT CORRECT.
This behaviour is apparent even at higher altitudes where there is no ground effect or self vortex without any winds.

Unfortunately the support personnel we can reach ain't very knowledgeable even about the stuff from their own manuals, let alone fluid dynamics. We need someone to make a succinct video showing and explaining the issue and to spam them until it reaches the right people.

(Tbh I personally haven't even noticed the issue yet in the few flights I did, so don't know how severe it is, but any regression from the old model should be fixed imo.)
4-29 21:13
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

ZP Tafner Posted at 4-29 09:51
I would also like to receive the same answer, please.

Hi there. Please refer to Post #33. Thank you.
4-29 22:03
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

DJI seems to blame this on own vortex created by the drone which is NOT CORRECT.

Hi, SaurabhSrivastava. We'll forward your feedback to our relevant team for further checking. Thank you for your kind understanding.
4-29 22:04
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, SaurabhSrivastava. Please check my DM. Thank you.
5-1 22:54
Use props
SaurabhSrivastava
lvl.3
  • >>>
India

Received the same message from DJI :

Hi, SaurabhSrivastava. This is regarding your thread: Avata 2 Rocking motion in Live Video feed. Twitchy left and right. Sorry for the delay in getting back to you with the info requested. We're working diligently to gather all the necessary details and will provide them to you as soon as possible.
5-2 09:48
Use props
250Flyer
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3254058 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

SaurabhSrivastava Posted at 5-2 09:48
Received the same message from DJI :

Hi, SaurabhSrivastava. This is regarding your thread: Avata 2 Rocking motion in Live Video feed. Twitchy left and right. Sorry for the delay in getting back to you with the info requested. We're working diligently to gather all the necessary details and will provide them to you as soon as possible.

Please see my post of jello at altitude. Is this what you mean? https://www.reddit.com/r/dji/s/Gf4l3PU7iM
5-3 20:53
Use props
SaurabhSrivastava
lvl.3
  • >>>
India

250Flyer Posted at 5-3 20:53
Please see my post of jello at altitude. Is this what you mean? https://www.reddit.com/r/dji/s/Gf4l3PU7iM

This seems to be a different issue. The rocking motion of avata 2 is more seen during RTH, although it is there in normal and sports mode too.

I am still awaiting a concrete reply from DJI.
yesterday 05:46
Use props
250Flyer
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3254058 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

SaurabhSrivastava Posted at 5-4 05:46
This seems to be a different issue. The rocking motion of avata 2 is more seen during RTH, although it is there in normal and sports mode too.

I am still awaiting a concrete reply from DJI.

Mine is good on RTH its fairly smooth. The real problem is auto RTH, it turns around to where it lost signal first then it returns home. Very weird
yesterday 08:34
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules