1524 43 4-23 11:15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

Not many month I guess for the next camera, so what do you guys want to be implemented?

OA4 do have almost everything, but I would love to have 32 bit audio recording like DJI Mic 2 have, also Pocket 3 sensor or in general a 1 inch sensor.
Also about the lens, would be great to have a manual focus lens (if possible) so we can take close ups or adjust focus ourself (vloggers).

But the same battery and magnet mount is a must.

4-23 11:15
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I’d like a similar arrangement to the Ace Pro for low light video…… Pure Video and the double tap for 2x zoom with no quality loss. Since the Action uses the same sensor, it might be possible ….

TBH, I think DJI have nailed the market with the Action 4 and Pocket 3.
4-23 11:41
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

Updated Bluetooth  technology
4-23 11:43
Use props
Anonymous

Webhost remove per request

Maybe the downvoter can get a life
4-23 16:03
Use props
Andreas Dueck
Second Officer
Switzerland

1. I would like to have Tap to expose again, like in the Osmo action (1).
2. A Bluetooth connection with Cardo and Sena would also be a good idea for beginners in motovlogging.
3. The connection with 2 Bluetooth transmitters (DJI Mic 2) would be advantageous for advanced motovloggers.
4. If A.I. Functions are implemented then facial recognition would be helpful (also in the helmet [eyes?]).
5. A Mimo update that allows multiple cameras to be controlled at the same time would be a real blessing.
6. Automatic timesync as soon as a camera is connected to the Mimo app (can be switched off).
7. All functions can be controlled during recording (at least Tap to Expose, ISO, Schuttesrspeed, Zoom, Audio)
8. More audio tracks at the same time, Bluetooth and internal (at least external USB-C audio and internal at the same time, like in Pocket 3)
9. Switchable ND filter (possibly virtual with the help of AI [motion blur adjustable in camera])
10. Temperature cutoff should be the same for the EU and all other countries.
11. Storage charge for batteries selectable in accessories and camera (60-70%).
4-23 18:12
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

I just want the same battery design/parameters so I can power my OA3 in the years to come.
4-23 18:57
Use props
Choking Smokers
lvl.2

Thailand

The Osmo Action 5 must have an HLG profile available thereby offering a format that is genuinely workable for consumer level HDR Projects.
4-24 22:50
Use props
Cream17
lvl.1
Flight distance : 458445 ft
United Kingdom

I'd like the same form factor as the 4 with a faster and better quality lens.

Happy with 4k, but a better dynamic range and maybe a 1 inch sensor (A maybe as this will impact depth of field)

I'm also happy with the Megapixel count, I wouldn't want an increase to the detriment of image quality.
4-25 01:24
Use props
Aavis
First Officer
Flight distance : 328 ft
  • >>>
Finland

Cream17 Posted at 4-25 01:24
I'd like the same form factor as the 4 with a faster and better quality lens.

Happy with 4k, but a better dynamic range and maybe a 1 inch sensor (A maybe as this will impact depth of field)

It would be too narrow and brings other problems if 1 inch is with fixed lens.

People are also too obsessed with sensor sizes. The real thing is Pixel Size. Sensor could be smaller but bigger pixels. Then we still get everything in focus witch is important in these cameras.

If they lower the native pixels to 9 mpx and keep the sensor 1/1.3 it can actually see more in the dark than your eyes.
4-25 01:54
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

Agree a 1 inch sensor probably will be the game changer.. thank you in advance for the Down vote.
4-25 02:29
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Aavis Posted at 4-25 01:54
It would be too narrow and brings other problems if 1 inch is with fixed lens.

People are also too obsessed with sensor sizes. The real thing is Pixel Size. Sensor could be smaller but bigger pixels. Then we still get everything in focus witch is important in these cameras.

With 6MP then it will not record higher video than 1080p so no thanks.

Bigger sensor = more light = less noise in low light.
4-25 03:46
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

We'd like you to know that we appreciate your valuable suggestions, johansenfoto. We will forward your concern to our related department. Thank you for your continued support.
4-25 05:25
Use props
Aavis
First Officer
  • >>>
Finland

johansenfoto Posted at 4-25 03:46

Pressed 9 Finger decided 6.
4-25 07:13
Use props
Aavis
First Officer
  • >>>
Finland

johansenfoto Posted at 4-25 03:46

If you have 100 mpx with 1 inch sensor then it is totally not gaining more light. Pixel Size going to be a lot smaller then.

It goes Bigger Pixel Size = more light = less noise in low light. Not the sensor size.

That is the reason why A7S3 has 12 megapixels in full frame.
4-25 07:15
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Aavis Posted at 4-25 07:15
If you have 100 mpx with 1 inch sensor then it is totally not gaining more light. Pixel Size going to be a lot smaller then.

It goes Bigger Pixel Size = more light = less noise in low light. Not the sensor size.

I'm fine with a 10MP sensor, but if I remember right I don't think Sony have any 1 inch sensor with 10MP
and support 4K video. Closest is probably the one Pocket 3 uses.

I know about pixel size, low light performance etc. as you can see from my username, I'm a photographer
4-25 09:03
Use props
Aavis
First Officer
  • >>>
Finland

johansenfoto Posted at 4-25 09:03
I'm fine with a 10MP sensor, but if I remember right I don't think Sony have any 1 inch sensor with 10MP
and support 4K video. Closest is probably the one Pocket 3 uses.

Sony only has low megapixel sensors A7S3, and above. Only DJI has 1 inch sensor with enormous pixel size. All Sony 1 inch sensors are 20+ mpx. Sadly.

I do understand high megapixel sensors with photography but imo action cams and pocket series are actually video cameras so they get a lot benefit of low native mpx sensors. This is what DJI got right with P3.

Yeap 30 years photographing here too.
4-25 09:12
Use props
efati
lvl.2
Poland

• Audio recorder function, recording just sound with no video. The screen may be used for showing nice meter.
  • 1" sensor – prioritize dynamic range rather than resolution.
  • Manual focus: 2 or 3 positions: portrait, landscape + macro.
  • Dedicated gimbal for Action 5 with remote control (start/stop recording).
  • AEL (Auto Exposure Lock) quickly accessible.
  • Keep removable batteries!
  • Pause function for recording + explicit continuation of previous clips.
  • More flexible shutter ranges like 1/120 ÷ 1/8000, i.e. 1/3 steps.
  • Exchangeable lenses (!).
4-26 05:50
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

efati Posted at 4-26 05:50Audio recorder function, recording just sound with no video. The screen may be used for showing nice meter.1" sensor – prioritize dynamic range rather than resolution.Manual focus: 2 or 3 positions: portrait, landscape + macro.

I'm curious, why not just by a DSLR? Or a pocket digital camera? There are plenty to choose from and most of them (I imagine) have these features already (manual focus, inter lenses, etc). What is the point turning an action cam into a DSLR or vice-versa?
4-26 11:34
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

DJI makes cameras, I say use the one that fits your needs  thanks in advance for a thumbs down
4-26 11:36
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

efati Posted at 4-26 05:50
  • Audio recorder function, recording just sound with no video. The screen may be used for showing nice meter.
  • 1" sensor – prioritize dynamic range rather than resolution.
  • Manual focus: 2 or 3 positions: portrait, landscape + macro.

• this is where we are going back to the Hybrid times the 5-n-1 cameras called Aiptek

Picbridge
    MP3 player
    MP4 PMP player
    A/V input
    camera
    camcorder
    and webcam

no one remembers those days but thank you for hte thumbs down when I shot you the Facts
    4-26 11:38
    Use props
    johansenfoto
    First Officer
    • >>>
    Norway

osmonauta Posted at 4-26 11:34
    I'm curious, why not just by a DSLR? Or a pocket digital camera? There are plenty to choose from and most of them (I imagine) have these features already (manual focus, inter lenses, etc). What is the point turning an action cam into a DSLR or vice-versa?

It's about thinking about new things. Insta360 is quite a leader in thinking of new things than e.g. gopro.
    4-27 00:22
    Use props
    LeMagnifique
    lvl.3
    Flight distance : 3281 ft
    Czechia

Case which can accommodate wind muffler, case which can be used for data transfer from both devices, case without lock system (like first version).
    4-27 01:08
    Use props
    Iancraig10
    Second Officer
    • >>>
    United Kingdom

osmonauta Posted at 4-26 11:34

A DSLR with 60 or more frames per second costs a lot of money.
    Action cams are tough and portable.
    Action cam stabilisation is better than DSLR’s generally.
    The front screen with touch sensitivity for adjustments is a joy for vlogging. (DJI .... add touch spot exposure)
    Less setting up and focus worries with action cam.
    An action cam is great in bad weather. DSLR's are more of a worry in rain.
    You can take shots in really tight spaces but not with DSLR's
    They're  much better for family outings to the seaside or in the sea
    You can swing them around on long poles to emulate a drone type shot without having to fly a drone
    Audio on action cams has really come a long way and easily match/better DSLR's
    Action cams can do the job fine. In fact at 24fps with a slow shutter, they can look amazing with less fiddling around with settings

Why not use action cams? They're great for general/on the fly usage. In fact, use them properly with a slower shutter for motion blur and they don't quite look like typical action cam footage.

4-27 01:23
    Use props
    efati
    lvl.2
    Poland

Iancraig10 Posted at 4-27 01:23

Thank you Ian. You did it for me!
    I have a few cameras: both FF and micro 4/3. But none of them can be taken everywhere like the action cam. Besides typical applications I use it mainly for videographing while running. You can image that features like: weight, size, stabilization, waterproofing are crucial in such situations.
    Generally, I'm thinking of a new product: a video-oriented, super-mobile camera, waterproofed but not necessary very rugged, with MF or ideally with AF and with a dedicated gimbal. Think of Sony RX0 II.
    4-27 08:19
    Use props
    Iancraig10
    Second Officer
    • >>>
    United Kingdom

efati Posted at 4-27 08:19
    Thank you Ian. You did it for me!
    I have a few cameras: both FF and micro 4/3. But none of them can be taken everywhere like the action cam. Besides typical applications I use it mainly for videographing while running. You can image that features like: weight, size, stabilization, waterproofing are crucial in such situations.
    Generally, I'm thinking of a new product: a video-oriented, super-mobile camera, waterproofed but not necessary very rugged, with MF or ideally with AF and with a dedicated gimbal. Think of Sony RX0 II.

Yes, I realised when I read it that you were after something similar to my needs.

A small camera to lessen the amount of gear being lugged around when an action cam can do mostly what you need to do.

I’ve been wondering about GoPro. A few years back, they did suggest that they were going to produce a miniature camera but never did. Now they’re stuck between an Ace and Action they might need to do something pretty quick.

Both the Action and Ace are such good cameras now, GoPro might well find themselves in trouble at the end of Summer when the next one is due.

Either Insta or DJI could scupper them.

An Action Pro Plus? Basically the Action with a few mini camera tweaks for videographers rather than sporties? Would be nice.

No, I do get it. However, it would no longer be a 'pure action cam' which upsets action cam users. I think there's room for both and the Action 4 now, is a really good base camera to start with for better video capture without having to keep fixed focus, fast frame rates and shutter speeds. So is the Ace. It's probably a question of who does it first .....

I swing between the Ace and Action. The DJI Mic 2 has pushed me more towards the Action now because it sounds superb. Getting closer to DSLR"s you see. The gap is closing.

Action cams can look really nice if you use them as you would a DSLR. I did this at 24fps on the Action 4 and it's not a bad look ....

4-27 08:29
    Use props
    Reiner.
    lvl.4
    Germany

Same form factor.
    Proper documented LOG.
    4-27 08:44
    Use props
    osmonauta
    Second Officer
    Hungary

Iancraig10 Posted at 4-27 01:23

What is/was the point of this list? I didn't question the usefulness or the pros and cons of an action cam vs DSLR.

What I was trying to imply, don't turn a bicycle into a car. There's a reason a bicycle is a bicycle and a car is a car. On the same notion, there's a reason an action cam is not a DSLR and vice-versa.

4-27 12:48
    Use props
    osmonauta
    Second Officer
    Hungary

johansenfoto Posted at 4-27 00:22
    It's about thinking about new things. Insta360 is quite a leader in thinking of new things than e.g. gopro.

Ok, but then why must GoPro implement the same features as the Insta has? People can choose. If they want fancy features, they can get the Insta. If they don't need so many fetures, they can get a GoPro. What is wrong with that?
    4-27 12:52
    Use props
    Iancraig10
    Second Officer
    • >>>
    United Kingdom

osmonauta Posted at 4-27 12:48
    What is/was the point of this list? I didn't question the usefulness or the pros and cons of an action cam vs DSLR.
    What I was trying to imply, don't turn a bicycle into a car. There's a reason a bicycle is a bicycle and a car is a car. On the same notion, there's a reason an action cam is not a DSLR and vice-versa.

In answer to ‘I’m curious, why not buy a DSLR?’ I have a few mirrorless cameras but use an action cam very often in preference to them and those are my  reasons.

I'm well aware of what you were implying. I'm implying, 'why not'?

In fact, I didn't list the pros and cons of action cams vs DSLR's ..... I listed only the reasons why I often prefer to use an action cam for non-action video and why many others prefer them. Purely the 'pros' of action cams .......

So, why should we limit action cams?

4-27 13:06
    Use props
    insert.coin
    lvl.2
    Ireland

There is so much talk about a 1 inch sensor.  Although very nice and all, there is probably a couple of draw backs with a 1 inch sensor for an action camera.

One of the major draw backs is the depth of field.  How is this going to work?  A large sensor normally means a shallower dof (unless the aperture is closed down further - which if this is the case, would reduce the amount of light and then it would be a question of "is it worth it?").  If an action cam is meant to have an expected 30/40cm to infinity of acceptable focus, a 1 inch sensor would probably mean 70 - 100 cm to infinity acceptable focus if a similar aperture was kept (I'm just thumb sucking the numbers but the the close up focus would be dramatically be affected).

Insta360 had some modular style 1inch action cam but I recall it had a really terrible minimum acceptable close focus distance.
    I think Sony also had a 1 inch style action camera that had some form of autofocus - I think this camera suffered from a very high price and focus hunting issues - is trying to find focus an acceptable feature for an action camera?

I guess if DJI (or any action camera manufacturer) were to utilize a 1 inch sensor, they would have to look at the previous attempts from insta360 and sony and see how they can solve the issues around their major flaws and still maintain the ruggedness of an action camera.
    4-27 14:10
    Use props
    johansenfoto
    First Officer
    • >>>
    Norway

insert.coin Posted at 4-27 14:10
    There is so much talk about a 1 inch sensor.  Although very nice and all, there is probably a couple of draw backs with a 1 inch sensor for an action camera.

One of the major draw backs is the depth of field.  How is this going to work?  A large sensor normally means a shallower dof (unless the aperture is closed down further - which if this is the case, would reduce the amount of light and then it would be a question of "is it worth it?").  If an action cam is meant to have an expected 30/40cm to infinity of acceptable focus, a 1 inch sensor would probably mean 70 - 100 cm to infinity acceptable focus if a similar aperture was kept (I'm just thumb sucking the numbers but the the close up focus would be dramatically be affected).

You are right about the 1 inch and close focus vs infinity focus with a bigger sensor.
    And if I remember right, Insta360 ONE R 1 inch had a close focus of 60 cm, and for an action camera it is plenty since the handlebar of a motorcycle/atv/bicycle or even the skateboard/snowboard etc. is mostly more than 60 cm away from the camera. So it will be in focus or very close to.

Problem is many buy action cameras that are ment for action and use them for vlogging with their face 30ich cm from the camera and complain about not in focus etc.

Even with OA4 compared to OA3, we can see that there is a difference with the close focus vs background. Where OA4 have more shallow DOF. But that looks more pro in my eyes.

And the reason I wish for a 1 inch sensor is to be even better in low light than OA4 already is + if we could adjust focus than it would fit vloggers too.
    4-27 14:40
    Use props
    Fishycomics
    First Officer
    United States

More or Less DJI will keep the same 1.1/3rd on this bad boy and just  offer more improved  features already noted outside of this thread.   thanks  in advance Loser
    4-27 15:30
    Use props
    Iancraig10
    Second Officer
    • >>>
    United Kingdom

You never know…. Technology continually moves forward and someone will find a way of getting an even higher quality picture with close focus and all. Whether it’s via the sensor or some other means as Ace has  tried to do with the Pure Video mode..... it might not turn out to be just the sensor but AI or something.

It seems that there is much more innovation going on with action cameras than others and they are developing better cameras at a rate of knots! Probably more innovation in this type  of camera than any other.

If you compare the first GoPro with what we have now, these  cameras are really quite amazing for cost. Who'd have thought when the GoPro emerged that the action cam would grow into the likes of the Action 4 with its resolution and frame rate options. Let alone the quality of picture?

The last 10 years has been fantastic in the Action camera world.

4-27 22:55
    Use props
    Fishycomics
    First Officer
    United States

That is one good reason to skip a year, or two now.  thank you once again in Advance Loser for the Down votes,
    4-28 03:11
    Use props
    djiuser_6Q9maQ8sFQfd
    New
    Hong Kong

insert.coin Posted at 4-27 14:10

a 1 inch sensor would probably mean 70 - 100 cm ???
    There is a camera called "DJI Pocket 3", it has 1 inch sensor and the minimum focus distance is 20cm
    4-30 07:11
    Use props
    Iancraig10
    Second Officer
    • >>>
    United Kingdom

djiuser_6Q9maQ8sFQfd Posted at 4-30 07:11
    .........  and the minimum focus distance is 20cm

It has a focus mechanism though.
    4-30 07:50
    Use props
    Aavis
    First Officer
    • >>>
    Finland

djiuser_6Q9maQ8sFQfd Posted at 4-30 07:11
    a 1 inch sensor would probably mean 70 - 100 cm ???
    There is a camera called "DJI Pocket 3", it has 1 inch sensor and the minimum focus distance is 20cm

Pocket 3 can focus. It moves the lens. Action Cameras like action 4 has fixed non movable super wide lens.
    4-30 08:21
    Use props
    djiuser_6Q9maQ8sFQfd
    New
    Hong Kong

Aavis Posted at 4-30 08:21
    Pocket 3 can focus. It moves the lens. Action Cameras like action 4 has fixed non movable super wide lens.

I see, is it possible to add movable lens to action cameras?
    4-30 08:47
    Use props
    Andreas Dueck
    Second Officer
    Switzerland

djiuser_6Q9maQ8sFQfd Posted at 4-30 08:47

It would cause a lot of problems and make it impossible to use as an action camera.
    4-30 09:19
    Use props
    Aavis
    First Officer
    • >>>
    Finland

djiuser_6Q9maQ8sFQfd Posted at 4-30 08:47

No. Focusing systems are fragile and sensitive.
    4-30 09:35
    Use props
    12Next >
    Advanced
    You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules