Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Sharp
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3571634 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Hi all.
I have one LRF file for each MP4 I record that’s of absolute no interest or use to me. Is there anyway to stop the AVATA 2 from recording these files.

All they are doing is eating up SD Card memory I need when out shooting. It's really annoying.

4-27 12:11
Use props
fichek
Second Officer
Flight distance : 954216 ft
  • >>>
Croatia

No, there's no way to turn them off, those are lower resolution video files used for previewing videos when importing.
4-27 12:29
Use props
anemone
lvl.2

United States

I don't know what I did but my avata2 stopped saving lrf files after I went through and deleted all the video files on my sdcard. Could be a bug but I'll take it.
4-27 12:57
Use props
Sharp
lvl.3
  • >>>
Ireland

Thanks for the reply.
Enforcing them on end users seems like a terrible idea.

I don't know what I did but my avata2 stopped saving lrf files after I went through and deleted all the video files on my sdcard.

lol... That’s luck. Wish I could replicate that bug :-).

4-27 13:11
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sharp Posted at 4-27 13:11
Thanks for the reply.
Enforcing them on end users seems like a terrible idea.

Just so you know, the Mavic 3 Pro has the same and there's no way to turn them off.  Hopefully you can turn them off with the Avata 2 and going forward but honestly, it's 2024 and this can't be a problem when the minimum microSD card anyone should be running is 128gb and 512gb cards are readily available at extreme low prices for those very few people left who still have an issue.

Didn't the Avata 2 just give you an unprecedented 46gb of internal space should you run out of room on your tiny microSD card; space taken up by those pesky low res files?  
4-27 13:46
Use props
Sharp
lvl.3
  • >>>
Ireland

Buying bigger SD Cards is always an option, but I’d much rather not have to deal with having to delete a bunch of files I’d never in a million years use every single time I backup a SD card.

I honestly wonder, what percentage of users would even use these files and why this is not an Option to toggle.

Didn't the Avata 2 just give you an unprecedented 46gb of internal space should you run out of room on your tiny microSD card; space taken up by those pesky low res files?

Those pesky files still use GB of space. Probably upwards of 6 GB if I were to fill the internal memory of the drone with MP4’s.  
4-27 14:01
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. Regretfully, we cannot turn off the .LRF suffix files, however, you can delete it manually. Should you have other inquiries, feel free to contact us. We appreciate your understanding.
4-27 18:39
Use props
SiLaHtAr
lvl.1
Flight distance : 145932 ft
Canada

This lrf file business is why I'm selling the Action 4. I used to record my flight videos with this camera, and 11% of the space is wasted with these useless files... I ended up switching to an older Garmin VIRB, at least now I can record about 60 minutes longer... The fact that DJI is insisting on generating these files is beyond my comprehension...

Just hear this: YOU ARE WASTING MY VALUABLE MEMORY SPACE...!!!
4-27 20:39
Use props
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 39646480 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

I do not have them on Avata 2 now and am happy as this was one of worst DJI ideas
4-27 20:51
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

SiLaHtAr Posted at 4-27 20:39
This lrf file business is why I'm selling the Action 4. I used to record my flight videos with this camera, and 11% of the space is wasted with these useless files... I ended up switching to an older Garmin VIRB, at least now I can record about 60 minutes longer... The fact that DJI is insisting on generating these files is beyond my comprehension...

Just hear this: YOU ARE WASTING MY VALUABLE MEMORY SPACE...!!!

We deeply regret that we fell short of your expectations. Your satisfaction is our top priority. Rest assured we will forward your feedback to the relevant team. Feel free to contact us if you have any concerns, we are more than glad to help. You can also contact our DJI Support at [url]https://support.dji.com/[/url]. Thank you for your patience.
4-27 21:21
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I dont have them either on my Avata 2.    How to turn them on though a they could be very useful.
4-27 22:03
Use props
AlSo-Fotografie
lvl.3
Flight distance : 423907 ft
  • >>>
Germany

anemone Posted at 4-27 12:57
I don't know what I did but my avata2 stopped saving lrf files after I went through and deleted all the video files on my sdcard. Could be a bug but I'll take it.

Same here. Since i deleted them once, no new lrf files were saved on my sd card.
First i thought these was the motion data for each video file
4-27 22:45
Use props
fichek
Second Officer
  • >>>
Croatia

alex_markov Posted at 4-27 20:51
I do not have them on Avata 2 now and am happy as this was one of worst DJI ideas

What resolution are you shooting at? They can probably avoid saving them if you shoot in like 1080p since that's low res enough.

I don't see what everyone is so upset about. Every action camera and drone that has any form of wifi transfer feature does this and has been doing it for like a decade.
4-28 01:30
Use props
Sharp
lvl.3
  • >>>
Ireland

I don't see what everyone is so upset about

I feel it’s fairly obvious. Honestly.

They eat up GB of memory.

It’s unacceptable for DJI to even expect people to rename a file extension from a *.LRF to a *.MP4 for every single file they copy over via USB or direct from SD.

They are mandatory, even though I can’t imagine anyone ever uploading unedited raw low resolution files, while having to manually rename file extension files.

I don’t want, or won’t ever use them. Ever.

Where on the other hand, a simple ON/OFF menu button would solve this. I’m a programmer, so I know how simply this is to implement.

It would be nice if DJI would simply review this because honestly, making this mandatory makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.
4-28 03:52
Use props
fichek
Second Officer
  • >>>
Croatia

Sharp Posted at 4-28 03:52

You're not supposed to use them yourself, they're used by DJI Fly for previewing videos. Once you download and delete the main file, it will delete LRF (and SRT if recording that) too. With microSD cards being 4x or more cheaper than just 2 years ago, this is really some next level nitpicking.
4-28 04:08
Use props
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 39646480 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

fichek Posted at 4-28 01:30
What resolution are you shooting at? They can probably avoid saving them if you shoot in like 1080p since that's low res enough.

I don't see what everyone is so upset about. Every action camera and drone that has any form of wifi transfer feature does this and has been doing it for like a decade.

4К/60 dlog
4-28 07:18
Use props
fichek
Second Officer
  • >>>
Croatia

Interesting, this made me think maybe it's connected to the codec...

I did a bit of testing with various resolutions and colour profiles as I thought maybe hevc doesn't need a lrf since it's more efficient(?), but the results I got are a bit inconsistent at best. Out of 7 short clips I recorded, only 1 had a lrf file and that was 4k60 4:3 d-log. 4k60 16:9 dlog, 4k60 16:9 normal, and lower resolutions didn't generate lrf. Could it be that simple, that only the highest available resolution at full sensor and 10bit colour needs lrf? I'll do some more testing.
4-28 10:05
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Sharp Posted at 4-28 03:52

ah, i see.  you don't really know what these are used for, eh?

some creators find them very useful for post video processing when it comes to optimized media or proxy files.

i agree there should be a switch to turn it on (default) or off.
not even sure what you mean about "renaming" files; that's so 90s.
4-28 11:53
Use props
Sharp
lvl.3
  • >>>
Ireland

fichek Posted at 4-28 04:08
You're not supposed to use them yourself, they're used by DJI Fly for previewing videos. Once you download and delete the main file, it will delete LRF (and SRT if recording that) too. With microSD cards being 4x or more cheaper than just 2 years ago, this is really some next level nitpicking.
You're not supposed to use them yourself, they're used by DJI Fly for previewing videos.

Ah I see. Almost always, I will simply wait until I get home to look at the files on my Laptop. The rare cases where I need to see them on the move, it’s the laptop again.

Either way I never have any need for low quality files or any need to use the App.

With microSD cards being 4x or more cheaper than just 2 years ago, this is really some next level nitpicking.

Not nitpicking, it’s just a waste of space and an annoyance to have to delete these junk files every single time I backup my drone or SD cards.

No big deal. I just think it’s silly.
4-28 12:40
Use props
Sharp
lvl.3
  • >>>
Ireland

The Saint Posted at 4-28 11:53
ah, i see.  you don't really know what these are used for, eh?

some creators find them very useful for post video processing when it comes to optimized media or proxy files.

Hopefully DJI will add the option to turn them off in the future, or I'll be lucky enough to find the bug others found in this thread that pervents them from being written, either way, rather than just carrying on deleting these files every time, I’ll write my own little SD/Drone backup tool that automates backup and deletion of the files.

It's the little things that will make me happy :-)
4-28 12:47
Use props
John Lo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3541342 ft
Hong Kong

I agree that the lrf preview may benefit for nle proxy process and live view.
But if it is not the case, dji should allow an option to turn them off.
Nowadays, sd card is very cheap so the space is not a concern. What more important is the lrf preview takes processing power, battery power, heat and video bitrate on the avata2.
It has been complainting since mavic 3 series and DJI tend to not fix it. so I guess these lrf preview is essential while in flight.

Solution :

1. if lrf preview is not necessary, turn them off completely in order to save some processing power for other useful function like real HDR video format (HLG) and RAW photo.

2. if lrf preview is essential for live view, please give us an option not to save in the sd card so it can free more bitrate for the main video file.

3. if lrf preview is essential and has to save in a file, please give us an option save those file either in the aircraft space or in the sd card. also file overwriting is essential if save in aircraft space.

4-28 14:41
Use props
fichek
Second Officer
  • >>>
Croatia

I did some more testing, recorded 5-10 seconds of video with all resolution/frame rate/aspect ratio/colour profile combinations.

Looks like LRF is not saved when you shoot at either 4k60 (it is saved for 50 and 30 fps), or 100-120 fps in any resolution, regardless of aspect ratio or colour profile. Which is weird because those seem like the best use cases for LRF since those are the heaviest files, but live preview works perfectly fine for them in QuickTransfer.

I also noticed we lost 2.7k 4:3 at 100-120fps that we had on Avata 1
---

Edit: just tried removing all the LRF files from microSD card via usb, then powered Avata 2 back on and went into QuickTransfer - live preview still works for all of the files (I didn't have DJI Fly connected to goggles while recording so it's not cache from there or anything like it). So it does appear that LRF files might be useless in this case...

4-28 15:10
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

John Lo Posted at 4-28 14:41
I agree that the lrf preview may benefit for nle proxy process and live view.
But if it is not the case, dji should allow an option to turn them off.
Nowadays, sd card is very cheap so the space is not a concern. What more important is the lrf preview takes processing power, battery power, heat and video bitrate on the avata2.

I like option #3 for sure.
4-28 15:38
Use props
Sharp
lvl.3
  • >>>
Ireland

Update..... I've noticed that if I switch to 4K / 60FPS, the AVATA 2 won't write LRF files. Writing at lower resolutions, the AVATA 2 starts writing LRF files again.
5-4 04:48
Use props
fichek
Second Officer
  • >>>
Croatia

Sharp Posted at 5-4 04:48
Update..... I've noticed that if I switch to 4K / 60FPS, the AVATA 2 won't write LRF files. Writing at lower resolutions, the AVATA 2 starts writing LRF files again.

Guess you missed my last reply. It will not save those files at 4k60 and or resolution at 100-120fps no matter the aspect ratio or colour profile. 4k at 50fps or below or any other resolution at 60fps or below will save them.
5-4 05:06
Use props
Sharp
lvl.3
  • >>>
Ireland

Ah, sorry about that. Yes indeed, didn’t see that.
Thanks for this. Much appreciated.
5-4 05:19
Use props
SiLaHtAr
lvl.1
Flight distance : 145932 ft
Canada

fichek Posted at 4-28 04:08
You're not supposed to use them yourself, they're used by DJI Fly for previewing videos. Once you download and delete the main file, it will delete LRF (and SRT if recording that) too. With microSD cards being 4x or more cheaper than just 2 years ago, this is really some next level nitpicking.

You should speak for yourself ONLY... Those useless files (to me), are consuming about %15 of card space that other action cameras do not... I purchased Action 4 with great expectations, but I have other cameras that can record longer without filling up in the same or even higher resolution... DJI should make them optional... My process of recording flight videos does not require review or watching clips on the camera, so I see no reason why me or DJI need them (FOR MY PURPOSES)...
5-5 20:35
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules