Many US Stadiums Added to No-Fly Zones
1247 10 2015-9-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dmwierz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 61427 ft
United States

In case you've missed it, the latest firmware decides you can't fly over or near stadiums 24/7/365...whether anything is going on there, or not. Just so happens one of our local stadiums is adjacent to a very popular lakefront park, and because of this lunacy, we can no longer fly in this park EVER.

Apparently DJI can't spell TFR, and especially don't know the meaning of the first letter in TFR: TEMPORARY Flight Restriction.

I get that the idiots who have flown and crashed at recent sporting events have (as we all worried they would) ruined it for the rest of us, but local pro shooters have legitimate reasons to work in the vicinity of stadiums when they are NOT covered by a TFR, and now we'll need to purchase Non-DJI equipment to do so.  
2015-9-19
Use props
Willie Wonka
lvl.4

United States

That is bad news

I really don't like this crap, what's next, a no fly zone on every park ?
2015-9-19
Use props
dmwierz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 61427 ft
United States

Yeah, it's disturbing. I worked quite a bit to get this particular park removed from the DJI no-fly zones a few months ago because 12 years ago there was an airport there and DJI thought it was still there. I succeeded in convincing DJI that the airport was no longer there, so they removed it in 1.2.6. Since then, I guess they've decided they know what's best for us and that we all need to be treated as though we aren't responsible operators.
2015-9-19
Use props
Willie Wonka
lvl.4

United States

dmwierz Posted at 2015-9-19 19:24
Yeah, it's disturbing. I worked quite a bit to get this particular park removed from the DJI no-fly  ...

All i can say is if it hurts there wallet then its a NFZ, Its all about the Benjamins.
2015-9-19
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

I understand why they, DJI are doing it, but they can't police the world. Another poster reported this the other day with very little a few people piling on that DJI can't keep a list of all venues and the schedules.

For the time being, call/write to DJI about the problem. Ultimately consumers will go to other brands that aren't restricted or a cottage industry will pop up offering sanitized firmware removing the restrictions.

I'm keeping my quad at 1.1.9 and Pilot app 1.1.2.
2015-9-19
Use props
DAS
New

United States

gregg1r Posted at 2015-9-19 19:21
I understand why they, DJI are doing it, but they can't police the world. Another poster reported th ...

Please sign this petition to let dji know we're serious
2016-1-21
Use props
gdl39
lvl.2

United States

It's funny, but the NFL has permission to fly drones over stadiums, but only when they're empty.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-09-22/nfl-wins-faa-permission-to-use-drones-for-on-field-action-video
2016-1-21
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

gdl39 Posted at 2016-1-21 21:44
It's funny, but the NFL has permission to fly drones over stadiums, but only when they're empty.

ht ...

The NFL has a hard enough time with the suspended over field cameras that they don't need quads flying over a stadium, packed or empty.

I know of two cases where the 50 plus pound cameras fell onto the field narrowly missing players or cheer leaders, during game time.

Then Fox Sports had one fall during a Nascar race.
2016-1-22
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

DAS Posted at 2016-1-21 21:01
Please sign this petition to let dji know we're serious

I'll sign your petition, as I don't believe that DJI should be limiting when or where I or you fly.

In my case, I'm still using 1.1.8 firmware and 1.2 of the DJI Pilot app. I don't have no stinking Geo fence.

My favorite location to do aerial shoots, Great Falls on the Potomac, is a National Park. I flew my copter there until last year. Now it's Illegal. So instead of flying, I've got to shoot a zip line across the river to suspend my camera. I guess soon enough, that will be illegal too.
2016-1-22
Use props
GTDrone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2197703 ft
Guatemala

Willie Wonka Posted at 2015-9-19 17:19
That is bad news  

I really don't like this crap, what's next, a no fly zone on every park ?

kind of , everything is going to be in red and you are going to be able to fly just with a licence
or in the desert
2016-1-22
Use props
john.davis.core
lvl.1
United States

I love my DJI Professional but I will buy another makers drone are build my own if they continue to limit what I can do with my own property.  I had plans on a Inspired 1, I am going to have to reconsider this now.  I do not like the fact that I can not select wey points off of a map and am limited to a 500 meter radius either.  I have been flying properties for realtors and was planning on using the wey point feature for future flights but some of these properties are much greater than 500 meters in length and girth.
2016-1-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules