P3S max range at 167M ONLY
1374 14 2015-9-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
juanpaulofloren
lvl.2

Philippines

Guys i need your help and opinion.

Earlier around 6am i flew my P3S at Loyola Memorial Park Marikina (the nearest open area where i live).

From what i know the P3S has a max range of 1000m or 1km (as shown on the DJI spec sheet)

I tried maxing the P3S range and was only able to get a max of 167meters.After that it shows signal low and few meters further it will totally lose signal and activate RTH.

Do you think theres something wrong with it and claim warranty or there are other factors that may have affected performance?
2015-9-22
Use props
arives
lvl.4
Flight distance : 453684 ft
  • >>>
United States

Here are a couple of questions: Did you have an absolutely clear view of the drone in the flight? Buildings, a grove of trees, etc could effect the range of the radio communications. Next - were the antennae put in the proper location - ie left one leaning left and slightly down, right one leaning right and slightly down. Next - power in the RC was up to snuff as was the battery in the bird? Lastly did you lose video in any part of the process?
Just some questions.
2015-9-22
Use props
aopisa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 430686 ft
United States

arives@capecod. Posted at 2015-9-22 21:55
Here are a couple of questions: Did you have an absolutely clear view of the drone in the flight? Bu ...

Only one antenna on a Standard.
2015-9-22
Use props
arives
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

aopisa Posted at 2015-9-23 10:08
Only one antenna on a Standard.

Does it have Wi-Fi communications, not 3.2 GH communications? If so 167 meters or 534 feet may be the end of it's range.
2015-9-22
Use props
arives
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Does it have only Wi-Fi communications? If so 167 meters or 530 feet might be the end of its range with the antenna set the way you had it. Antenna should be straight up, not pointing at the bird. Beyond that I am stumped. Sorry.
2015-9-22
Use props
aopisa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 430686 ft
United States

No, it is claimed to have a range of 1,000m. I had my Standard out to over 1,150m without loss of signal. Other times I could only get a few hundred meters if there were too many obstacles like trees.

The Standard uses wifi.

To the OP, I don't know why you would be getting such a short range unless there are too many obstacles or interference where you are trying to fly.
2015-9-22
Use props
juanpaulofloren
lvl.2

Malaysia

Hi Guys,

To answer your questions. I flew well in line of sight all throughout. I flew in a cemetery which was pretty wide and was sure that no interference would affect the performance.

As for the antenna, i tried both the 45 degrees and 90 degrees (straight up) to no improvement.

I even tried with the phone not clamped to the controller to try and isolate the issue if its the phone giving the interference but still the same result.

I was actually expecting the range of the P3S to be way further that 167M. I was not expecting the 1000m or 1km range since thats probably done in the best case scenario but rather a mere 500 would be reasonable.

Oh the bird was fully charged, the RC was roughly at 50% charge before the flight. Regarding  the batteries of both i was able to charge them initially meaning once then i tried maxing the range.
2015-9-23
Use props
CDS
New

United States

juanpaulofloren Posted at 2015-9-23 13:23
Hi Guys,

To answer your questions. I flew well in line of sight all throughout. I flew in a cemete ...

I've had this same issue only flown it a couple of time but both time in different locations I could only go out about 100 meters and it would go into fail-safe and return home. I'm starting to wonder if the Bluetooth was on maybe causing issues  kinda of doubting it but I'll try it again and report back. Probably a bad connection some where.
2015-9-24
Use props
juanpaulofloren
lvl.2

Malaysia

CDS Posted at 2015-9-24 22:45
I've had this same issue only flown it a couple of time but both time in different locations I cou ...

Try putting the phone on airplane mode and check.
2015-9-24
Use props
CDS
New

United States

juanpaulofloren Posted at 2015-9-24 12:15
Try putting the phone on airplane mode and check.

Did that help you?
2015-9-24
Use props
gongml
lvl.2
Flight distance : 595413 ft
Canada

I also have a P3 standard.  Tested its max distance the other day.  It reached 1.8km.  At this distance the signal is weak under certain antenna orientations.
2015-9-24
Use props
juanpaulofloren
lvl.2

Malaysia

No it did not. I returned the drone to where i bought it to have them check if its a hardware failure indeed...
2015-9-24
Use props
juanpaulofloren
lvl.2

Malaysia

gongml Posted at 2015-9-25 04:11
I also have a P3 standard.  Tested its max distance the other day.  It reached 1.8km.  At this dista ...

How does the signal drop? does it go down little by little or a sudden drop?
2015-9-24
Use props
CDS
New

United States

juanpaulofloren Posted at 2015-9-24 15:00
How does the signal drop? does it go down little by little or a sudden drop?

Almost like hitting a wall same distance in any direction about 500 foot it starts breaking up then about 600 it gone a it returns to home. I ask for a RMA may upgrade to the Advanced model
2015-9-25
Use props
jaronpv
lvl.3
Flight distance : 723776 ft
United States

On my p3p, I have had both extremes.  Flying one day,   I could get maybe 150 feet away.  Come to find out, A lot of solar activity that day.  The next day, I got 7000 feet away.  you never know what is in the air around you!  
2015-9-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules