Phantom 1, bad GPS lock and "toilet bowl"
1583 5 2015-9-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djipatcom
lvl.1
Italy

Hi everyone, I have seen many discussions about this but as I still own a Phantom 1 and as a training device is really great I would like to know if anyone (other than using spirit levels) has managed to find a way to fix som of the common bad flight tendencies of this craft.

Mine will not lock properly GPS anymore and keeps doing some sort of "toilet bowl" effect when releasing sticks and trying to let it hover.
Please do not reply with links to old threads (I have read them all) and contribute only if you have successfully managed to restore good flight capabilities to the Phantom 1 !

2015-9-23
Use props
gil
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

Perhaps your "contribute only if" prerequisite has discouraged anyone from offering assistance.   

Before I, or anybody else, attempts to figure this out I would suggest you might prevent some redundancy by at least outlining all the things that you have actually done to try and correct this problem.  Maybe include some screen shots of your IMU calibration, etc.  Basically help us help you.
2015-10-5
Use props
Cessna172
lvl.4
United States

It's either a bad compass, bad calibration or bad GPS connector.

I have a Phantom 1 and it flies PERFECT....EVERY time.   The compass connector inside is VERY iffy.   I taped mine.
2015-11-14
Use props
Nidge
Second Officer

United Kingdom

I have to agree with Cessna172, this is indicative of a compass error.

Are you using aftermarket/third party landing legs or skids? The position of the compass module is critical and must be perpendicular to the ground and mounted flat against the inside of the leg.

Recalibrate your compass in an open area away from large metal objects. You can also check the MOD values in the Assistant software. If you are still experiencing problems you may need to do a degaus procedure. Warning this is a last resort measure. Essentially you take a magnet and move it around the compass module. Next perform a full compass calibration.

The toilet bowl effect is more pronounced in extreme Northern and Southern latitudes where the deviation of True North from Magnetic North is more pronounced. In such situations it's possible to shim the compass module to compensate for this deviation. To find out how far off True North is from Magnetic North at your location you can visit this site.

http://magnetic-declination.com/

Regards

Nidge
2015-11-16
Use props
Cessna172
lvl.4
United States

I no longer have a compass on the leg of my P1.

I upgraded it to a Ublox GPS which has the Compass integrated.

I get 16 - 17 sats on every flight and no longer have to worry about the external compass module.   Win Win.
2015-12-21
Use props
RATTYDUDE77
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Ublox GPS how did you hook that up
2016-4-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules