Naza V2 + GPS Failsafe Crash
3078 8 2015-9-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
adriangrassi
lvl.1
Flight distance : 76473 ft
United States

I built my flamewheel F550 quad with Naza M V2 and it was flying beautifully, so I took it to the field to test the failsafe. Everything looked good in the Assistant after all.

I hovered about 5-6 feet from the grass and shutoff the receiver. That is after warning all the guys at the flying field that I was testing the failsafe feature, good thing i did too because the quad flipped over and came crashing down.

I am puzzled as to way it would do that, after all everything was going so well. I shouldn't have flipped over.

What could have caused this?  This was in a field in the middle of nowwhere with strong GPS signal.

I have order the replacement parts and will be fixing it, however I need to find out what went wrong so that I can prevent this from happening again.

Also I need to find some safe way to test the failsafe mode. Any suggestions?

Thanks for your time and assistance,

-Adrian
2015-9-27
Use props
kiwichrish
lvl.3

How far away from the home point were you?  It sounds like your RX failsafe didn't work as expected?

What radio/receiver are you using?

Sorry, all questions.  Failsafe/RTH works flawlessly on both of my Naza's...
2015-9-27
Use props
odlaw19
New

Australia

If you have remote gain adjustment setup, please check what the channel is doing during failsafe. NAZA will still change the gain value in a failsafe situation. You want to ensure the remote gain is being set to it's base when the receiver is in failsafe.

I have seen this cause an issue before. The gain value goes to full max (say 400) when signal is lost and the receiver goes to failsafe. It will cause the machine to go crazy.

Hope this helps.
2015-9-27
Use props
adriangrassi
lvl.1
United States

kiwichrish Posted at 2015-9-27 20:32
How far away from the home point were you?  It sounds like your RX failsafe didn't work as expected? ...

I was just a couple feet from the home point.

My radio FrSky X9D is setup with (no Pulses) meaning the receiver and radio won't do anything in case of failsafe in order not to interfere with Naza.
The received is X8R. I am really puzzled as to what happened.
2015-9-28
Use props
adriangrassi
lvl.1
United States

odlaw19 Posted at 2015-9-27 20:33
If you have remote gain adjustment setup, please check what the channel is doing during failsafe. NA ...

Thanks for the suggestion I will check what all my channels are doing during the failsafe.
2015-9-28
Use props
DJI-BladeStrike
Second Officer
Flight distance : 872694 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm not familiar with your radio but it sounds like the RX doesn't support a true failsafe. Naza requires the U channels to go into a failsafe area when connection is lost. You can test this on the bench, power on the craft while connected to the assistant. Then turn off the radio and see what the U channel does when the radio disconnects.

Your radio has to support a pre-programmed set failsafe. If it does not then there's not much you can do.
2015-9-28
Use props
hummingbird.uav
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 27489951 ft
  • >>>
Canada

adriangrassi@gm Posted at 2015-9-28 21:35
Thanks for the suggestion I will check what all my channels are doing during the failsafe.

I suggest you set up your system so that there is a transmitter switch to initiate Failsafe.
Also when the NAZA is connected to your computer you can see how the system is going to react when the transmitter is turned on and off.  I had to decrease the throws on the FS channel so that FS actually worked.
2015-9-28
Use props
odlaw19
New

Australia

adriangrassi@gm Posted at 2015-9-28 23:35

My money is on the remote gain channel failsafe setting
2015-9-28
Use props
kiwichrish
lvl.3

Hi..

No pulses is not what you want for the failsafe, it will give you random results when you turn off for a second or two which could have caused the crash.

Set it to 'set' I think the option is.  Program failsafe on a switch position on the TX, switch to failsafe, push the button on the RX to store the failsafe..    Return mode to gps/atti and turn off TX to ensure mode goes to failsafe...

I'm using a taranis / X8R in a tarot 680, and an S550 with no issues in sBus mode it's a good RX..  I was using D8R but switched to X8R + the Lipo batter monitor telemetry module as it's a nicer combo and I was running out of channels with Naza + retracts + gimbal...
2015-9-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules