P3 Advanced, unable to upgrade to v1.4 firmware
2296 12 2015-10-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BAILLYD
New

United States

When turning aircraft on with sdcard insert with v1.4 the gimbal green light blinks only a few times then stops and no sounds. It appears the gimbal sd slot and aircraft controller are not communicating. What is the possible solution? I checked the misc log folder on the sd card and there is no activity shown. Please help. Just purchased the P3!!
2015-10-3
Use props
JDLVphantom
lvl.1

United States

Did you fully extract the files on to the SD card prior to inserting it and turning the P3 Back on?
2015-10-3
Use props
Mad_Angler1
First Officer
Flight distance : 2741657 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

follow this process and try again

FW Update

Please Note the Phantom 3 Standard has a different update process, please refer to DJI on that model

Before you do anything you need to download the correct firmware from the DJI site and its very important you read the "How to Update the Firmware" document on the downloads page below.

http://www.dji.com/product/phantom-3/download

If you have tried this unsecsesfully Jump to Trouble Shooting.

It is recommended you use the SD card supplied with the P3 to perform the update

Before you do anything please make sure you have removed your Props and gimbal lock for Safety Folks.

Craft

First of all the firmware needs to be on a formatted SD card. Format the card in your computer as FAT

Download the correct firmware file for your model from DJI website, this firmware file is a zip file, you need to unzip it then place the .bin file on the SD card.

the file should look like this for V1.4

P3X_FW_V01.04.0010.bin for the Pro Model

P3S_FW_V01.04.0010.bin for the Advance Model

It needs to be in the root directory so when you look at the card in your computer you only see the downloaded firmware file no folders.  

Before you start read the firmware update instructions at least twice and make sure you understand the process.

Make sure your battery is at least 50% charge.

Once ready put the SD card in the gimbal and turn the Phantom 3 on, after a few seconds you should hear some beeps as the update starts,watch the small gimbal LED thats located on the front of the Lightbridge unit, this tells you the update progress.

During this update your P3 will make a lot of different sounds, you will hear the startup tones when the ESC’s are being updated, your gimbal will twitch, go limp, come back to life, this is all normal, Ignore all sounds and watch the LED located on the light bridge unit for update status.

Flashing Red/Green = Update in Progress DO NOT TURN OFF
Solid Red = Update Failed
Solid Green = Update Successful. (LED may also go off if left solid green for some time)

Once done a new text file will have been created on the SD card, read it and it will tell you if the firmware update is completed.

If you are unsure there is a hidden log created on the SD card located under \MISC\LOG\ xxx.txt.

To view this log you will need to enable view hidden files on you computer.

Once you have successfully updated you need to perform an IMU and Gimbal calibration, see

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...5#post32565770

Controller

Please Note FW V1.4 does not contain the controller update you need to use V1.320 to update the controller to the latest build.

There is a LOT of confusion around controller in this update, please see below to see what you need to do regarding the update

There are 2 versions of the P3 controller, Model GL300A and GL300B, the Model is written on the rear of the controller next to the DJI logo.

GL300A : Up to FW 1.3.20 it could be updated via the USB port, Once you installed V1.320 future updates will be via the DJI Go App.

GL300B, Can only be updated via the DJI Go App, Anything before 1.3.20 is not relevant as there was no update other than via the App.
If you have the GL300B update is via the App only, No further action is required.

GL300A ONLY

If you are currently on 1.3.20 then no update is required on the controller for V1.4.

If you are on V1.1.9, V.1.2.6, 1.2.8 you need to update the controller to v.1.3.20 before it can be updated via the DJI Go App.

If your on V1.1.8 or V1.1.9 you may need to update to V1.2.6/8 before you can update to V1.3.20

1: Install the New DJI Go App and see it it prompts you to update the controller, if it completes then your done.

2: If it says "RC requires upgrade" you need to upgrade the controller to V1.3.20 as per DJI update instructions listed below.

To update it you need firmware V1.3.20 file from DJI downloads page for your P3 model.

Note : V.1.4 does not include the controller update in the package you must use V1.3.20

You can update either on a formatted USB drive or via a usb cable to the gimbal.

3: Check the log and post the results if failed.

4: if this fails and you are on FW 1.1.8 or 1.1.9 update to v.1.2.6/8 first then update to V1.3.20

If that fails follow the below process posted by Tahoe Ed from DJI at the bottom of this post.

DJI Controller Update Instruction

Updating the Remote Controller Firmware
Ensure the DJI GO app has been updated to v1.2.0 before updating the remote controller. The System Status bar in Camera View of the DJI GO App will flash several times if a firmware update is available. Follow these steps to update the firmware via the DJI GO App.
Step 1- Check Battery and SD Card Capacity
1. The remote controller has at least 50% battery level.
2. Your mobile device is able to access the internet.
3. There is at least 30 MB of free space on your mobile device.
Step 2- Download and Update the Firmware
1. Go to the DJI GO App > Camera View > System Status bar > Overall Status. Tap Download the firmware update package to download and update the firmware. Track the update progress from progress bar in the DJI GO App. The status LED on the remote controller will blink blue during update and blink green when update is complete with success.
Firmware update through the DJI GO app will not work with older versions of the remote controller firmware. If the firmware update fails, follow the instructions below to update the firmware using the traditional method:
a. Update the latest firmware package files from DJI official web site.
b. Extract all downloaded files into the root directory of an SD card or USB flash drive.
c. Turn off the remote controller, Insert the SD card into a SD card reader or the USB disk onto the remote controller USB port when remote controller is turned off.
d. Power on the remote controller and wait 60 seconds until the upgrade begins. Do not power off the remote controller during the update.
e. It will take approximately 10 minutes to complete the firmware update. The camera will sound a beeping sound and the Status LED on the remote controller shows solid blue to indicate the update is in progress. The Status LED on remote controller shows solid green and beeping
sound will stop if the upgrade is completed with success.
f . If you do not have a SD card reader, you may insert the SD card into the gimbal and connect the gimbal with remote controller to upgrade
the remote controller.
Update the current remote controller firmware to v1.3.20 through USB flash drive. You will only be able to update the remote controller firmware through the DJI GO app from this point onwards.
2015-10-3
Use props
BAILLYD
New

United States

JDLVphantom Posted at 2015-10-3 14:24
Did you fully extract the files on to the SD card prior to inserting it and turning the P3 Back on?

Downloaded zip file from DJI to my computer, then extracted the zip directly to my SD card. Since my original post I learned my aircraft current firmware is actually 1.1.9, so I downloaded 1.3.2 did the same extraction, inserted SD card with the extracted bin file and started up the aircraft. Had the same results ( no results) as when trying to upgrade to v1.4. The I/O slot on the gimbal doesn't appear to be communicating with the aircraft controller. Thanks for your comment.
2015-10-3
Use props
ag0n
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

I don't think you said, are you turning the RC on also?  It sounded like you did.  It needs to be OFF when updating the Phantom.
2015-10-3
Use props
ron
New

United States

"GL300B, Can only be updated via the DJI Go App, Anything before 1.3.20 is not relevant as there was no update other than via the App.
If you have the GL300B update is via the App only, No further action is required."

Mad_Angler1 - Thank you! I could have saved myself a few hours had I read your post sooner.  You'd think DJI would have mentioned this in the firmware How-To pdf that extracts with the bin....
2015-10-3
Use props
BAILLYD
New

United States

Mad_Angler1 Posted at 2015-10-3 15:50

Thank you so much! Must admit I am somewhat embarrassed. I extracted the FW to the DIM folder on the SD card. I just purchased the P3 Advanced and didn't realize its current software version was not 1.3.2. So I have been able to update with v1.3.2 then to v1.4. Just have to calibrate the IMU and Gimbal. I believe you are located in the UK, so if you ever get to San Francisco send me an email at visualmedia@comcast.net and I promise you a guided tour of the wine country in the Napa Valley. Thanks again!
2015-10-3
Use props
Mad_Angler1
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I am glad your all sorted, I mostly post on RC Groups but do pop back over here when it's quiet over there, the full info is posted on my blog Firmware Update  

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2420104.

Other info on my blog as well here

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=573812

Fly safe

2015-10-3
Use props
jockp
New

United States

Mad_Angler1 Posted at 2015-10-4 00:47
I am glad your all sorted, I mostly post on RC Groups but do pop back over here when it's quiet over ...

Hey MadAngler, you seem to be up on these most current firmware upgrades and installation of same. I just updated to 1.4 and am having issues getting to the "camera view" in the new DJI Go app. I've reinstalled it a couple of times. I've updated the firmware on the P3A from a clean sd card. I also tried to update the controller until I realized that was unneeded. So I'm thinking I should take everything back to 1.3.2 and start over, that I may have corrupted my controller with the 1.4.  Suggestions?

2015-10-8
Use props
kboland.boland
New

United States

Mad_Angler1 Posted at 2015-10-4 06:50

Hi there I am a phantom three professional I'm trying to use the joysticks to manually operated and all they do is move the camera! My screen shows it all the updates are there. Did you please help me people of told me you're the wizard of this drone please waive your wanted help me! I have yet to see this thing fly. All it does is when you use that take off button the motors run for all of about a few Second and then shut off and when you try to use it again it won't even go on.
2015-12-16
Use props
Mad_Angler1
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Can you tell me exactly what is happening ?

whats the Aircraft status say
2015-12-17
Use props
kboland.boland
New

United States

Mad_Angler1 Posted at 2015-12-18 07:53

The joysticks we'll only move the camera. There is no message saved update the software. The drone was successfully updated for the 1.4 firmware. The joysticks are set in mold 2. I tried to go to the custom molded but I can't seem to get it to do anything. The aircraft status says it's ready to fly. The only way I can make the motors start is the use that automatic launch the motors Will run for all a few seconds and then shut off. And then that won't work again
2015-12-17
Use props
kboland.boland
New

United States

Mad_Angler1 Posted at 2015-12-18 07:53

I'm sorry it seems like kind wrote the same thing. I was thinking should I take the Micro SD card then I updated then plug it into the controller? When a while ago when I first got it it said the RC had to be updated like clicked it to update the blue light came on but it seem to go through a process and then the green light came on and I never had anymore Messages about it needing an update. But I've read somewhere that to update the RC you need one of those USB Micro card adapters to plug into it could be something like that? Mad angler I sure like to get your email just to talk to you between emails. Because I think you could be a good friend for much future information. And the way these politicians are talking here maybe you can recommend a good place to come live in England ha ha. kboland.boland@gmail.com
2015-12-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules