Phantom 3 Power Loss, dropped to gorund
3294 14 2015-11-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
robb
New

United States

I have had the P3 since May, with great success and minimal to no issues.  Today I went to fly, and went through the pre-checks. Once the unit had warmed up and had GPS signal and stated ready to fly, I took off 100% vertically at approx. 3/4 throttle.  The drone went straight up approximately 100 ft then instantly lost all power and dropped straight down to the ground. This resulted in the camera breaking off, cracking the landing gear, and other numerous parts.  I've seen others talk about losing power, but always after flying for a duration of time. Anyone have any ideas? Battery level was 65% at take off, and was seated securely in place. (part of my rouutine pre-check before every flight).  I was able to pull th e log file from the unit, but I am not sure how to translate the data.  Right now I feel like I opened my wallet on a windy day and watched all my money blow away!
2015-11-14
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

There are a growing number of posts on this issue.  The common denominator is takeoff with less than full charge on the battery.
2015-11-14
Use props
firetys
New
Finland

Same happened here.. although I was at 100% when it happened. Luckily nothing was damaged because of soft ground and a spruce tree which saved it. Altitude was about 50meters. Total shutdown of power and signal, dropped like a rock. There was no logfile of this flight which is odd. Compass was calibrated as usual and everything should have been okay. Was about 80th flight or so.

One thing I noticed though since we can now see the battery voltage level when flying, was that if you throttle up and forward at 100% both, battery voltage seems to drop very low.. about 3.3-3.4volts, I did do that kind of acceleration when my Phantom3 dropped so I think the intelligent battery though it had some kind of shortcut and shut down.
2015-11-14
Use props
Westside Osprey
lvl.3
Flight distance : 95915 ft
United States

Upload your log file to:
Healthy Drones

There is an explanation of how on the site. And this is a great way to get a good graphical look at your log file.

If you have a lipo that has sat around for a few days since the last charge, and at first reads 65%, it is not unusual to drop quickly once you put a load on it.

It is OK to fly a battery that was charged a couple hrs ago and then you flew for a few minutes, land and take off again within a few minutes with 65%.

Lipos are very tricky to understand, they are not like a tank of gasoline in a car. First of all 30% should be considered empty.

Here is a link to a lot of info about lipos and how to break them in and maintain them:
http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/rc-lipo-batteries.html

There is a lot to it and lipos can be very dangerous as well, they can explode and burn very intensely.

Check this video:
2015-11-14
Use props
Mad_Angler1
First Officer
Flight distance : 2741657 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Again its aonther flight thats ended badly from not flying from 100% battery,

BATTERY WARNING.

I keep an eye across multiple forums as do many others, recently I have noticed that multiple craft have been lost when it's been flown from a partly charged battery.

The behaviour tends to be that either the craft with suddenly give battery warnings even though the level still shows fine or the level will suddenly drop massively, the result of this is the craft enters auto landing and this can't be stopped, people have been able to control decent speed and position as you can normally in critical landing but if the craft is our at distance or over water then it's end game.
The worst cases have been a complete loss of power and droping like a stone.

Simple rule is

DO NOT fly a partly charged pack.

ONLY fly a fresh fully charged battery.

If it was charged over 24 hours before flight I would partly discharge then fully charge again before pushing any distance.

Regularly calibrate you battery, (every 20 cycles)

DJI state to only fly a fully charged battery.

To be clear i am not saying this is a bug or fault but it's a characteristic of the battery's behaviour on both the the Phantom 3 and Inspire1

Fly safe folks and keep those birds coming home

2015-11-14
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

Make certain you all use the DeOxit Gold or other contact grease on the battery and telemetry contacts regularly.
Another hint is to seat and unseat the battery twice before taking off - just to make sure. So click it in, pull it out and then click it in again. Make certain it is tight. Some pilots have admitted that their batteries were not in all the way.

I have noticed some of these problems with less than fully charged batteries - hard to say (without a factory person jumping in) whether this is the true cause. I've taken off many a time with lower batteries - BUT, only with the same battery that I first took off with fully charged (that is, I may go up, land, move the quad and take off again).

Either way I am superstitious. Deoxit and a prayer and a fully charged battery are some of the rituals.
2015-11-15
Use props
DJI-Patrick
Captain

Hong Kong

Hi,robb
Sorry for what happened . I don't exactly know your location .Hope you'll understand the problem after you read the thread : http://forum.dji.com/thread-35249-1-1.html    Please contact  local dealer or our repair center for a repair .
2015-11-15
Use props
Robb1121
New

United States

DJI send me a prepaid label and i sent it in. I just received the unit back and appears to be repaired. No note or description of what they all repaired or why it crashed, but covered it under warranty.
2015-12-15
Use props
tpetersen97
lvl.2
United States

Robb1121 Posted at 2015-12-15 20:18
DJI send me a prepaid label and i sent it in. I just received the unit back and appears to be repair ...

Robb1121,  How long did it take from the time you sent it out till the time you received it.  I'm going on just over 2 weeks now since it was sent out.
2015-12-15
Use props
Rebel
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2015-12-15
Use props
Rebel
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2015-12-15
Use props
bryan1188
lvl.1

Philippines

I'm having a very similar issue. I posted all the details in this thread http://forum.dji.com/thread-55659-1-1.html
2016-6-21
Use props
djiuser_mStPbHjN38oB
New
Flight distance : 16106 ft

United States

Last night I put fresh battery and full charge on controller for my p3p. Took off straight up 3/4 throttle, got up to 100ft then went full throttle to 200 ft and suddenly lost all power in the drone and had to watch it fall to its death... it was a very unpleasant rth… is there any support groups for this sort of thing? Literally every part on the gimbal was destroyed along with 2 props. I’ve only been flying for about 3 months but I have years of experience with different types of batteries and I’m assuming it was a battery malfunction but not real sure. How do I get the flight log so I can maybe find out what happened
2023-12-25
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

djiuser_mStPbHjN38oB Posted at 12-25 09:43
Last night I put fresh battery and full charge on controller for my p3p. Took off straight up 3/4 throttle, got up to 100ft then went full throttle to 200 ft and suddenly lost all power in the drone and had to watch it fall to its death... it was a very unpleasant rth… is there any support groups for this sort of thing? Literally every part on the gimbal was destroyed along with 2 props. I’ve only been flying for about 3 months but I have years of experience with different types of batteries and I’m assuming it was a battery malfunction but not real sure. How do I get the flight log so I can maybe find out what happened

Hi there. We do apologize for the incident that happened to your DJI Phantom 3 Pro. As electronic products are affected by technological developments and changes in usage requirements, each generation of products has a fixed life cycle. In order to continuously provide you with premium product and service experiences, DJI regularly optimizes resource allocations to promote the development and application of new products and technologies. Therefore, we have decided to stop providing support services for the Phantom 3 Pro and its accessories starting on January 5, 2023. We're sorry that the services for this product have been suspended currently and relevant technical support and after-sales repair services cannot be provided. We appreciate your understanding.
2023-12-26
Use props
Pleomax
lvl.4
Flight distance : 835725 ft
United Kingdom

djiuser_mStPbHjN38oB Posted at 12-25 09:43
Last night I put fresh battery and full charge on controller for my p3p. Took off straight up 3/4 throttle, got up to 100ft then went full throttle to 200 ft and suddenly lost all power in the drone and had to watch it fall to its death... it was a very unpleasant rth… is there any support groups for this sort of thing? Literally every part on the gimbal was destroyed along with 2 props. I’ve only been flying for about 3 months but I have years of experience with different types of batteries and I’m assuming it was a battery malfunction but not real sure. How do I get the flight log so I can maybe find out what happened

Hi, better to post flightlog.

If you do not know how to retreive your flightlog goto this link for instructions

https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

Then share the link to the uploaded log here on the Forum.
2023-12-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules