2015-11-22
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nice perspective and well done.

Our company provides all of the power transformers to Stanford, I have seen this in person

Rich
2015-11-22
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

Nice one! Was inspire completely ok?  No interference?
2015-11-22
Use props
SimplePanda
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1719062 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Total digression, but I really wish YouTube would enable HTML5 embedded video players by default. Those of us who are Flash-free have to constantly view-source and cut/paste the URL to get a modern player.
2015-11-23
Use props
RBirtles
lvl.2

Australia

Yes, I was wondering about interference as well if it is a radio telescope that was transmitting rather than receiving.  We (CSIRO) have a large radio telescope in the ACT Canberra and they were very specific a few years ago about helicopter aerial photographs only being done when it was not transmitting.
2015-11-23
Use props
doctrrf
lvl.3

United States

Thanks to all for the comments; I really appreciate that.

The Inspire flew like it was on rails, rock sold, no glitches, the same for the video, max strength on the bar graph.

The dish was in use, it moved around quite a bit while I was filming. But, I don't  know if the dish was transmitting and/or receiving.
2015-11-23
Use props
RBirtles
lvl.2

Australia

You would have to be unlucky to fly into the "concentrated" beam but always something to be aware of.  The Arecibo Observatory has been known to fry birds if they fly between the transmitter and the tertiary reflector when the transmitter goes on.  It is like a giant microwave.  Also known to confuse birds if they fly into/around the dish perimeter.  Insects suffer the same fate thus these are bloody big bug zappers!  

Cheers!
2015-11-23
Use props
dgmultimedia
lvl.2
Flight distance : 216526 ft
United Kingdom

I really hate to state the obvious - where you filming this with the operators permission?
Flying a video/telemetry transmitting device directly over the dish while its operating !!
Isn't the area airspace marked as Restricted or HIRTA?
If they were actually running observations you would be screwing with the results at the very least....

2015-11-23
Use props
doctrrf
lvl.3

United States

dgmultimedia@me Posted at 2015-11-23 23:10
I really hate to state the obvious - where you filming this with the operators permission?
Flying a  ...

It’s not as obvious as one may think.

I checked before flying, there are no air traffic restrictions over the dish.  

While possible, I would not assume the Inspire was causing an RF interference problem for the operator(s).
During the course of normal operations the dish is bathed in many other potential sources of interference, mostly without issues.
Generally speaking,  satellite receivers  are highly selective and filtered to reject most interference and/or the precursors of interference.

2015-11-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules