Map mode
1330 6 2015-11-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Thompsonrh
lvl.2

Canada

I've been experimenting with all the different modes for the Inspire 1 Pro using the Go App (using Ipad air display and iPhone 6 as a hotspot).
I can't get Map Mode to work.
With the Inspires motors running or stationary, I sketch a route out on the map and press auto takeoff (as per the description in the Go App tutorial)
But the Inspire just hovers and doesn't follow the track.
The Inspire is in P-GPS mode.

2015-11-22
Use props
Thompsonrh
lvl.2

Canada

OK thanks Paul, I thought maybe I was missing something. Hopefully DJI will comment.
BTW my experiences with DJI aren't that bad, I've struggled with a Phantom & GoPro for a few years but am very impressed with the Inspire 1 Pro and X5 Zinmuse. Its night & day over the GoPro & Phantom. However my Accountant was a little aghast at the price. I hope DJI sought the map mode out and make it useful quickly. Thanks for your feedback.
2015-11-22
Use props
Thompsonrh
lvl.2

Canada

Thanks Paul.
I have used waypoints and as you say it works quite well, it seems to actually fly just a straight line between points and ignores the actual route flown. I don't think there's a limitation so if the route is very precise, then I guess you just poke more waypoints on the map. Good point about flying around a point, again it would be great if you could just mark points on the map (same for waypoints & POI) and then have it fly autonomously while you concentrate on the camera. Surely that is coming, all the elements are already there.
Being of the old school and a private pilot it makes me nervous being dependent on automation for safety. I've been flying the Inspire very cautiously to date and haven't had any surprises but the iPad display flickers occasionally. My biggest fear is the the display goes blank (as happened on my Phantom). This could just be radio interference, I now switch my iPhone in my pocket to airplane mode while the Inspire is flying and try to keep the aircraft clearly in sight at all times, as a precaution.
Thanks for your thoughts, I'm going to continue to be extra cautious.
2015-11-23
Use props
Thompsonrh
lvl.2

Canada

I've sent the question about map mode to DJI North America twice and there's a deafening silence..........hopefully their working on a solution.
When that's fixed it would be great to be able to focus the camera on a place/person or thing, then have the inspire fly a straight path autonomously while the camera remains trained on the subject. Boy the possibilities are endless. This has amazing potential.
2015-11-28
Use props
Tharg (from the
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120784 ft
United Kingdom

Thompsonrh Posted at 2015-11-29 04:10
I've sent the question about map mode to DJI North America twice and there's a deafening silence.... ...

There IS no map mode
There has NEVER been any map mode
There never WILL be any map mode of the sorts you are talking about. I am not sure where you got the idea that drawing with your digit on the screen will trace and set up an autonomous route?

Perhaps you should try one of the third party offerings that give you this 'feature'?
2015-11-29
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

Tharg (from the Posted at 2015-11-29 13:58
There IS no map mode
There has NEVER been any map mode
There never WILL be any map mode of the so ...

The idea from memory originated from a DJI marketing video last year that indicated and inferred this was how automated flights in future releases would be able to be done.
2015-11-29
Use props
Thompsonrh
lvl.2

Canada

Yes the DJI Go App video implies that you go into  map mode, draw a route and the Inspire 1 follows it. This is not the case but then what is the point of drawing a line on the map in map Mode?
2015-12-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules