Weak Signal Radio (only 300 meteres) - Phantom 3 Standard
9198 26 2015-12-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
peter.owcarz
lvl.1

Poland

Good evening (or whatever), I have a problem with my drone (Phantom 3 Standard) bought in a shop in Poland. After 2 weeks from purchase I noticed some issues with the short signal range varying between 250-300 meters with the flight altitude of about 40-65m. After exceeding this distance, a red alert comes up informing me about the weak signal and suggesting switching on the return mode. The drone is up to date with the latest updates. I attach my drone’s flight log and photos of the weak signal alert. Thank you very much for your help.

I try a few antena postion and i have a still same problem.

Logs https://healthydrones.com/main?flight=adcf0ce4a4e7e787a199928725dad57c&page_id=GENERALNotifications
http://imgur.com/sdhXWF2Peter

2015-12-3
Use props
jasper7821
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

In CE mode the flight distance limit is 500m. For the first two weeks were you flying in a different area?
2015-12-3
Use props
tdrussell1
lvl.1

United States

Unfortunately, it seems you may have a defective unit.  Several users have found a loose antenna connection inside the controller.  You could investigate, or return to your retailer, or open a case with DJI.
2015-12-3
Use props
peter.owcarz
lvl.1

Poland

jasper7821@yaho Posted at 2015-12-3 19:43
In CE mode the flight distance limit is 500m. For the first two weeks were you flying in a different ...

I flew in different locations but every time i have same problem with radio signal.

My logs.
https://healthydrones.com/main?f ... c&page_id=POWER
https://healthydrones.com/main?f ... 1&page_id=POWER
https://healthydrones.com/main?f ... d&page_id=POWER
https://healthydrones.com/main?f ... 8&page_id=POWER
2015-12-3
Use props
peter.owcarz
lvl.1

Poland

tdrussell1 Posted at 2015-12-3 19:43
Unfortunately, it seems you may have a defective unit.  Several users have found a loose antenna con ...

Today i go to shop where i bought this model. Dealer told me to update radio with miniusb cable but all updates in Phantom3Standard are made by DJI GO App. He unwist my radio controler and it's all okay in radio controler. Probably I send aircraft to DJI.
2015-12-3
Use props
jasper7821
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

And you have the antenna perpendicular to your Phantom when flying right?  (antenna tip not pointing towards the craft).
2015-12-3
Use props
peter.owcarz
lvl.1

Poland

jasper7821@yaho Posted at 2015-12-3 20:39
And you have the antenna perpendicular to your Phantom when flying right?  (antenna tip not pointing ...

I try each setting, i see a lot of videos of antena positioning.

In this positions i have best radio signal:
http://imgur.com/a/5DUGo
2015-12-3
Use props
jasper7821
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

peter.owcarz Posted at 2015-12-3 12:52
I try each setting, i see a lot of videos of antena positioning.

In this positions i have best r ...

it depends on where the Phantom is in relation to you. In the first photo if the radio is facing the same way in you hand as on the ground and the Phantom is directly above you then the antenna is perpendiculer to the Phantom.
But same case and 2nd photo would not be good then the tip of the antenna would be pointing directly at the Phantom and giving you the weakest signal.

2015-12-3
Use props
peter.owcarz
lvl.1

Poland

jasper7821@yaho Posted at 2015-12-3 20:59
it depends on where the Phantom is in relation to you. In the first photo if the radio is facing t ...

I set up the antenna at an angle of 45 degrees and range was lower than if i set at 90 degrees.
2015-12-3
Use props
jasper7821
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

I googled for a photo and in this photo the antenna is perpendicular to the Phantom, that's how the antenna should be facing  in relation to the Phantom.
http://www.quadcopters.co.uk/ekm ... -vision-quadcopter-[3]-703-p.png
2015-12-3
Use props
peter.owcarz
lvl.1

Poland

I try every setup.
2015-12-3
Use props
jasper7821
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

If you still get 250 meters in an open area with nothng around then maybe time to contact customer service. But it also may just be how it is. My P3 Pro says 3 miles but I've only been able to go 1 mile which is planty for me so no dib deal.
2015-12-3
Use props
DJI-Patrick
Captain

Hong Kong

Hi , Peter
Sorry for that . Please check the attenna orientation for reference:http://forum.dji.com/thread-33091-1-1.html
If  it still doesn't getting better , please contact your local dealer . Thank you !
2015-12-3
Use props
philml420
lvl.2

United States

I have the same problem!  My old vision none plus remote goes 3 times farther!
2015-12-3
Use props
philml420
lvl.2

United States

Wow i cant even reply on this forum,im seriously thinking to change the brand of my quad
2015-12-3
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

DJI-Patrick Posted at 2015-12-3 22:06
Hi , Peter
Sorry for that . Please check the attenna orientation for reference:http://forum.dji.com/ ...

Patrick, I know you have seen many of the many, many  posts about this exact issue on the P3S.  You stated in one reply that DJI was working on the problem.  Not a day goes by that I do not see another new post from a new user about this problem. Please confirm that DJI is in fact working on the fix. Please?
2015-12-3
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

Mostly your RC range depends on environment, so you would of try another empty spot without any interference to get the better RC distance
2015-12-3
Use props
Mad_Angler1
First Officer
Flight distance : 2741657 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The P3 S is fitted with patch antennas internally , these are highly directional , the front of the controller needs to be pointed at the craft at all times to get any decent range.  The 2 patch antennas are located in front of each stick pointing forward , also make sure your phone is not obstructing the area st the front as well.  
2015-12-4
Use props
DJI-Patrick
Captain

Hong Kong

Kneepuck Posted at 2015-12-4 15:38
Patrick, I know you have seen many of the many, many  posts about this exact issue on the P3S.  Yo ...

Hi ,
For your issue , if you can't  get it solved by all suggestions i gave . Please contact your local dealer for a RMA . Thanks !
2015-12-4
Use props
Chatweka01
New

Australia

I too have the same problem it started fine I could go 500m out and 120m up but now it's 50m all around. I've tried the antenna thing, different locations, reinstalling the app nothing's worked any other ideas would be much appreciated.
2015-12-4
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

DJI-Patrick Posted at 2015-12-4 03:10
Hi ,
For your issue , if you can't  get it solved by all suggestions i gave . Please contact your  ...

With all due respect, that is not the question I asked.  You did state, in another post,  that DJI was aware that there was a range issue problem with the P3 Standard. Not a video range issue, but an R/C range issue.  You stated that the engineers were working on a fix.
The short range issue on my P3S began with the September firmware update.  So did most everyone else who has this problem.   Before September the P3 flew to at least the advertised range.  After the September firmware update,  the P3 Standard  will fly about as far as you can throw a paper airplane.
This is not an environment related issue.  I am flying the same place I was, on 150 acre property with no neighbor for over a mile.  There are no airports anywhere near me.  There are no RF sources anywhere near me.  I know how to position the antenna.  
My P3 Standard is no longer under warranty.  It has not been crashed.   It worked fine before the firmware update.  Since that time, I have done modifications to the R/C to increase the range.  Even with a 5 watt 5.8 ghz amplifier I can still barely achieve 2000 feet line of sight.  With 5 watts.  The problem is in the P3 Standard.   Not the R/C. Not the atmosphere.  Not the stupid users.  Not gremlins.  ( Well,  maybe some ARE stupid users,  but I like to think I am not one of them in this matter at least ).
I have extensive experience with R/F ( radio frequency )  I was trained to work on R/F by the U.S. Military in 1981.  I have been working with R/F ever since.  Please accept that I know what I am talking about.  There is a problem with the P3 Standard.  I really think it is in the firmware, as the hardware did not change physically in September. Only the firmware did. Logic is clear here.  It is a firmware problem.
For your additional information,  HealthyDrones.com flight log shows a 100% signal strength being received by the Phantom 3 Standard that I own all the way out to 2000 feet.  Even when it says Signal Lost. It does register the alert and logs the RTH event,  but still shows 100%.  I still have the fpv video feed, though it is beginning to fade intermittently at that range.  When the quad is either moving at any range or hovering at any range, if I turn the quad in any direction,  it will get no signal.  It may or may not go rth at that time.  If it goes rth,  it may stay that way until it is very close, or it may respond to me turning off the rth mode right where it is when it spins back around to face home.  There are 2 antenna for receiving the 5.8 ghz r/c control signal on the P3 Standard. Do they both receive and transmit or does 1 receive and 1 transmit.  I don't know.  I have not tested this.  But the fact that turning the drone causes the signal to drop out should be a clue.
I know that compared to the number of aircraft that DJI has sold,  this problem is probably only a small fraction of them affected. And so only a relatively few, by comparison, number of users are affected.  So, if the problem is not widespread enough to register with DJI as something that needs attention,  then ok. At least tell us that so we will be able to decide what to do.
Stop referring us to videos about proper antenna practices and telling us it is the environment,  please.  

Again,  respectfully,  is DJI aware of,  and do they acknowledge, and are they working on a fix,  for this problem?
Thank you in advance for any information you may be able to provide.
Respectfully,

Kneepuck
2015-12-4
Use props
peter.owcarz
lvl.1

Poland

Today Ive got message from DJI Support and they told me to send aircraft to service.
2015-12-4
Use props
Juliano Cruz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4158868 ft
  • >>>
Brazil

I also have the same problem. Lag issue + weak and lost of RC signal.
2015-12-4
Use props
DJI-Patrick
Captain

Hong Kong

Kneepuck Posted at 2015-12-4 20:25
With all due respect, that is not the question I asked.  You did state, in another post,  that DJI ...

Hi ,
Please contact your dealer or repair center to confirm the problem . If you are worried about the warranty , please check our warranty policy at this page : http://www.dji.com/service/warranty-period?www=v1
2015-12-8
Use props
gregcurtis83
lvl.2
Flight distance : 151909 ft
United States

Hello to you all. I've read through this thread and I am experiencing similar issues with my p3s. Please go easy on my because I am new to this but I believe to have above average common sense. I've had my p3s for only less than a week and have yet to fly beyond 130m high without rth ( in settings it's maxed out at 500m on both) and less than 100m without rth from home distance. I also experience video feed problems using the dji go app on my iPhone 6s plus 128gb. I had HealthyDrones.com log my flight and signal and everything appeared to be great yet I always get the rth, or interference alert. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I thank you in advance,

Greg
2016-2-7
Use props
mdfarys
lvl.1

Singapore

I'm having this same issue. 60m and fpv dissappear.  
2016-2-26
Use props
mark3
New
Flight distance : 44386 ft
Australia

My Drone has only 50 metres range in any direction.
Only a week old.
2016-4-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules