First time owner step 1 through in the air first flight card
1778 5 2014-12-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jeepinocala
lvl.3

United States

Is there a perfect start sheet for first time owners. I read of issues where people are making a lot of mistakes causing unhappy owners that I believe could've avoided the bad situation from the start. I would like to see the advancedowners create a step 1 throught first flight and then a every flight cheat sheet.  Or am I missing one that is out there?
2014-12-26
Use props
jeepinocala
lvl.3

United States

guymacdonald@ip Posted at 2014-12-27 12:24
I found this yesterday and although I have been very cautious I think I will take a few steps back a ...

Not enough info there I think that is just enough to get a newcomer ready for a crash.  The flight check sheet could be simple steps but the starter guide should be from the start step by step so you are prepared forissues just incase.
2014-12-26
Use props
jmims
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1686991 ft
  • >>>
United States

I found this video very helpful in getting ready for my first flight:
2014-12-26
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

Several things don't try to DIY initially.  Get a Phantom 2 bare bones without a camera and gimbal you can add that later after you learn to fly.  Get a couple of spare batteries.  One is not enough.  Two read the manual several times.  Three print out the LED sequences and what they mean.  Four initially fly in Phantom mode, fly close to you and fly with the tail in.  It will help you with orientation.  It is easy to fly in GPS mode.  Make sure that you have GPS lock and home point set.  Check for solar activity don't fly when it is high.  Only fly in open areas away from power lines and other sources of interference.  Calibrate your compass before your first flight and when you move to a different flying location.   Throughly confused?  You won't be once you read the manual.  It will all make sense.  Guys that are a little intimidated seldom have problems.  Guys that go, "Yea I can do this", most of the time crash hard trying to do too much too fast.
2014-12-26
Use props
talk2t_c
lvl.4

France

jmims@me.com Posted at 2014-12-27 12:57
I found this video very helpful in getting ready for my first flight: https://www.youtube.com/watch? ...

I find this instruction and demo OK, but it would be better away from those power lines and trees.
2014-12-27
Use props
gil
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

B&H photo has some instructional videos (hint, hint, DJI!) that you may find helpful.  
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/ho ... /3715721099001.html

They cover the following:
  1) Unboxing And Assembly 6:42
  2) Assistant Software 5:31
  3) Flight Modes 7:49
  4) DJI Vision App 6:07
  5) First Flight 9:15

(By the way, I normally don't engage in generalized criticism of DJI but in this case it is totally deserved.  DJI has completely failed to provide a decent series of instructional video for new users and somebody needs to pick up the slack -- and no, I'm not a shill for B&H photo)
2014-12-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules