2979 33 2015-12-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jmims
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1686991 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI has announced beta software to test a dynamic geofencing system. I think this is really, really cool: http://www.dji.com/newsroom/news/dji-launches-public-beta-of-new-geofencing-system.

In a nutshell, the new software alerts you of up-to-the-minute flight advisories for VIP travel, stadium events, etc., etc. You can override the fence with your DJI account.

2015-12-31
Use props
sifu128
lvl.3

United States

Has anyone tried this yet?

I am a bit curious as to why the company is requiring a credit card which seems like a PII data mining effort?  If you have a registered verified account what is the purpose of a credit card?
2016-1-1
Use props
NorthernLoop
lvl.2
Flight distance : 300246 ft
United Kingdom

I've installed the application but not flown yet. I don't want to install the BETA firmware as I don't want to risk the drone falling out the sky!
2016-1-1
Use props
InsaneDiego
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1376841 ft
United States

Really, really, cool?

You haven't seen the details of this yet then. On the surface it sounds OK. But now that details are coming out, you can only unlock an area for 3 days to start with. If you are covered by multiple yellow areas, you have to do it for each one of them. You have to do this while connected to the internet. Finally, you have to actually get your aircraft ready to fly because it needs to know also.  Bottom line, I may have to spend 5-10 minutes before ever leaving the house to unlock an area where I may potentially fly since San Diego is one big set of overlapping Yellow Areas. This is not exciting news in the least. I much prefer their current system. Locking out the actual airport and then a gradual ceiling as you move away from it. We'll have to see if any adjustments are made before we are forced to use this.
2016-1-1
Use props
nrgwise
Second Officer

United States

You can't be forced to use it.  If you don't fly using the DJI Go app and you don't update your firmware, you won't be 'fenced in' so to speak.  Of course that still doesn't preclude you from flying safely and following the applicable rules/laws.
2016-1-1
Use props
InsaneDiego
lvl.4
United States

nrgwise Posted at 2016-1-1 11:55
You can't be forced to use it.  If you don't fly using the DJI Go app and you don't update your firm ...

As a Standard User I don't have an option (I believe) to use anything else. Now I may be able to not update the app but in order to do that I have to turn off Auto Updates for my device and now it becomes what is the lesser of two evils? Plus, some of the updates are good to have, like the last one that fixed battery issues. So it's a done deal for most of us. If they would extend the unlocking to Monthly or longer, I'd be fine with that. Every 3 days? That's pretty extreme and I don't understand why 3 days is the magic number.
2016-1-1
Use props
raveneapoe
lvl.2

United States

I do not plan on installing or using the system.  Warnings I could understand and be happy with, but mandatory no-fly zones one has to override?
(And the possibility of having the decision to override taken away at some future date)    For instance there may be a forest fire a couple of miles from my position, or stadium event or whatever, if I'm going to be flying in the opposite direction and at safe altitude what is the need for restriction?
Just my opinion folks, I live in a *very* rural area anyway...
2016-1-1
Use props
tcmalker
lvl.1

United States

Hey guys, happy new year!  FYI, I found a glitch in the GO app which would allow you to fly in the no-fly zone.  This pertain to current GO app, not the beta versions.  Will publish my findings soon after DJI finalize this beta program thing.  This way, maybe they won't fix the glitch in the next GO app or firmware and we'll be safe to update.   Stay tuned.
2016-1-1
Use props
Kyokushin
Second Officer
Flight distance : 296381 ft
Poland

It is not good solution and i wrote my concerns here:
http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... 2&fromuid=51556
2016-1-1
Use props
jmims
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1686991 ft
  • >>>
United States

I cannot speak to the fencing in other countries (as you mentioned in your post), but I think that this is a fantastic idea.

On Christmas day (or there abouts), some poor soul in Hawaii took his drone out for a spin and was stopped by the secret service.  This guy was just flying his drone. What he didn't know was that the president of the United States was nearby, and the area had been marked a no-fly zone by the FAA. It happens all the time. Airplane pilots look for NOTAMS (notice to airmen) before flights. I typically do the same before taking my drone out, but not as often as I should.

Quite frankly, we *all* want to be safe pilots so we aren't furthering the narrative that drones are a menace to society. I see this software as a way to keep us informed. It's not like we are prohibited from flying in these areas, but it does make us accountable when we decide to take off.
2016-1-1
Use props
InsaneDiego
lvl.4
United States

jmims@me.com Posted at 2016-1-1 15:57
I cannot speak to the fencing in other countries (as you mentioned in your post), but I think that t ...

It's not the idea that I'm lamenting right now, it's the implementation. I'll all for safe flying etc. I just don't want to pay what appears to be a steep price of having to spend at least several minutes anytime I go out the door in order to fly in a place I may or may not know I want to fly in. I like to take Saturday morning drives. With the new implementation I'd have to spend maybe 10 minutes before I leave the house to clear all areas that I think I may drive by. Again, my city is a big set of overlapping Yellow Zones. I typically don't know where I'm going on my drive, literally to the point of turning left or right 50 feet from my driveway. I don't mind being held accountable for my actions. I don't want to have to do all this busy work every couple of days.

I'm hoping that the 3 day unlock window is just a Beta thing to test unlocking. I'd be reasonably OK if that was a Monthly Window but much more happy if it was either bi-annual or annual.
2016-1-1
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

InsaneDiego Posted at 2016-1-2 11:27
It's not the idea that I'm lamenting right now, it's the implementation. I'll all for safe flying  ...

I agree, a 3 day window is not much good, but DJI may be accessing information about events within the zones, in which case a lengthy unlocking might be impossible. In any event, I don't see geofencing coming to where I live any time soon.
2016-1-1
Use props
sifu128
lvl.3

United States

nrgwise Posted at 2016-1-2 03:55
You can't be forced to use it.  If you don't fly using the DJI Go app and you don't update your firm ...

Sure you can. They can force a mandatory firmware update forcing you to upgrade at some point and BAM you are forced to be kept under control like the rest of us. Software companies do it all the time, update to this or no longer be supported. Happy Flying
2016-1-1
Use props
Kyokushin
Second Officer
Poland

jmims@me.com Posted at 2016-1-2 00:57
I cannot speak to the fencing in other countries (as you mentioned in your post), but I think that t ...

It is not about Your safety. It is about your responsibility. And you should be responsible for Your actions, not others.
Your flights are your business. Your flights shoudl be authorized only by local authorities and law. No one else.

Warning zones - YES. Authorization zones covering almost entire countries? NO.
Idea is maybe not so bad, but only in a case critical NFZ zones like airports or nuclear powerplants, however current execution of this idea is horrible.
2016-1-1
Use props
Kyokushin
Second Officer
Poland

sifu128 Posted at 2016-1-2 03:09
Sure you can. They can force a mandatory firmware update forcing you to upgrade at some point and  ...

I will loose a DJI support with a pleasure if they piss off from my hardware and remove NFZ's.
I have licence, i know local law, i am checking everything before a flight, and flying is only my responsibility.
2016-1-1
Use props
myron
lvl.4

Philippines

geo-fencing first develop by cyphy
2016-1-1
Use props
nrgwise
Second Officer

United States

sifu128 Posted at 2016-1-1 21:09
Sure you can. They can force a mandatory firmware update forcing you to upgrade at some point and  ...

Not if I don't connect using their software.  Once my quad is flying to my liking, I am not using any DJI software at all.  So what is preventing me from flying how I want within whatever restrictions my current firmware is allowing me? (and of course current regulations)
2016-1-1
Use props
sifu128
lvl.3

United States

Kyokushin Posted at 2016-1-2 10:22
I will loose a DJI support with a pleasure if they piss off from my hardware and remove NFZ's.
I ha ...

I don't know how it works in Poland but here in the US the FAA calls the shots regardless what we think. For what it is worth I don't like forced policies either.
2016-1-1
Use props
sifu128
lvl.3

United States

myron@iwantlemo Posted at 2016-1-2 10:46
geo-fencing first develop by cyphy

This is pretty BAD ASS: http://cyphyworks.com/robots/parc/

EXTREME ENDURANCE: Ground power enables flight durations measured in days, not minutes.
2016-1-1
Use props
sifu128
lvl.3

United States

nrgwise Posted at 2016-1-2 11:32
Not if I don't connect using their software.  Once my quad is flying to my liking, I am not using a ...

It is very easy for a software company to make changes to enforce that their hardware only works with their software. Sure they will lose some customers but it happens all the time.
2016-1-1
Use props
nrgwise
Second Officer

United States

sifu128 Posted at 2016-1-1 22:49
It is very easy for a software company to make changes to enforce that their hardware only works w ...

I am not entirely sure you know what you are talking about...on any topic.
2016-1-1
Use props
sifu128
lvl.3

United States

Kyokushin Posted at 2016-1-2 10:19
It is not about Your safety. It is about your responsibility. And you should be responsible for You ...

The biggest thing that has me concerned about this is that a company developer such as DJI can work with governments to report individuals who break a barrier set by the administrators (in this case DJI).

Anytime a device sets off a trigger by entering or exiting the predefined boundaries a text message or email alert is sent. This can have potential privacy issues as you are basically being tracked and having your data collected without your consent.
2016-1-1
Use props
sifu128
lvl.3

United States

nrgwise Posted at 2016-1-2 11:53
I am not entirely sure you know what you are talking about...on any topic.

Actually I do. I have worked as a developer for a software company for over 20 years that implements restrictions on hardware and software all the time, not that I need to explain anything to you. By all means run with your own thoughts.
2016-1-1
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

sifu128 Posted at 2016-1-2 14:56
The biggest thing that has me concerned about this is that a company developer such as DJI can wor ...

Anytime a device sets off a trigger by entering or exiting the predefined boundaries a text message or email alert is sent.

You have proof that this happens? Show us please.

This can have potential privacy issues as you are basically being tracked and having your data collected without your consent.

More than the zillion or so ways you are already tracked every minute of the day? Sorry, but that ship sailed years ago.
2016-1-1
Use props
sifu128
lvl.3

United States

This technology is not new what-so-ever. This is the same technology that is used in hospitals to track equipment, and to your example home arreset ankle bracelets. I worked for 8+ years for a company that monitored individuals that wore these devices. We were able to track their movements and anytime they moved past a preset boundary that we set for their home we get text messages and alerts so we could notify the local police departments.  I totally agree that there are a million ways, I was just making an observation as there are lots of people here that might not know about that.
2016-1-1
Use props
nrgwise
Second Officer

United States

sifu128 Posted at 2016-1-1 22:49
It is very easy for a software company to make changes to enforce that their hardware only works w ...

I am not entirely sure you know what you are talking about...on any topic when it comes to quads. Especially when it comes to the software that flies my quad.
2016-1-1
Use props
sifu128
lvl.3

United States

nrgwise Posted at 2016-1-2 12:06
Oh, I am sorry, let me bow down to the almighty.  When you can prove your worth let me know.  Unti ...

No need to bow down, just recognize that others do have experience in other areas that you don't. By all means keep chatting away just don't be an ass about it as I have my right just as you to share my opinion. I have monitored a lot of your posts and you seem to have some knowledge that proves useful in some cases
2016-1-1
Use props
sifu128
lvl.3

United States

nrgwise Posted at 2016-1-2 12:06
I am not entirely sure you know what you are talking about...on any topic when it comes to quads. E ...

I never claimed that I know anything about quads as I am a newbie, but have 20+ years as a software and windows driver developer. I am quite familiar with the inner workings of code development, software encryption methods, etc. I am just sharing that it is very possible for any company to restrict their hardware to use proprietary software to use their equipment, nothing more. In the end it is nothing more than hardware and software which all works the same way.
I will say one last thing. Since I am new and eager to learn by all means help me understand these topics so I can become just as knowledgeable as yourself.
2016-1-1
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

raveneapoe Posted at 2016-1-2 07:17
I do not plan on installing or using the system.  Warnings I could understand and be happy with, but ...

"Warnings I could understand and be happy with, but mandatory no-fly zones one has to override?
(And the possibility of having the decision to override taken away at some future date) "

So many confused people just don't understand what that are talking about.
Mandatory no-fly zones that you can't override have been in the P3 since it was released.
The new GEO system is about unlocking these.
Less flight restrictions - not more.

2016-1-1
Use props
Kyokushin
Second Officer
Poland

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-1-2 06:20
"Warnings I could understand and be happy with, but mandatory no-fly zones one has to override?
(A ...

No mate. You will have locked by a default a much more of area, almost entire countries, and you will be able to unlock them when you authorise yourself in DJi. Authorisation could be used to track you down by gov services even if you will not be involved in any incident.

Now you have a few NFZ in a country. Please compare current NFZ map and new.

2016-1-2
Use props
nollzr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 728235 ft
  • >>>
United States

Will this firmware update address other issues with the p3p like vibrations and no signal problems? Or is it just a map fencing update?
2016-1-2
Use props
raveneapoe
lvl.2

United States

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-1-2 00:20
(A ...

It wouldn't be the first time I was  "confused people just don't understand what that are talking about."
And I hope it's not the last, because that would mean I'm probably dead!

I hope you are correct, I hope I am wrong!
2016-1-3
Use props
sifu128
lvl.3

United States

nollzr Posted at 2016-1-3 07:06
Will this firmware update address other issues with the p3p like vibrations and no signal problems?  ...

All updates are accumulative.
2016-1-6
Use props
theronmalone
lvl.2

United States

Is the map out showing the geofencing areas now?
2016-1-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules