HELP ME. P3S flight over houses and someone tracks me down...
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dji_jordan
lvl.2

Canada

i was flying m p3s over some house. i live in a urban area. a busy city. i got a range of 350m. at 30m high, it went 350m away from me. is that good? should be closer to 1km..

but i lost reception. the quad came back to me. i was flying up and down my street when a car pulls up. a guy gets out and says i was flying it over his back yard when he was trying to film a video. i was not filming at all. just doing some simple FPV distance testing. he said i had to delete any video i have. i had none. and we swapped adresses.

so how freaky is that??
having someone pull up to you telling you to delete the footage i didnt have.
how did he find me?? just fallowed the quad in the sky??
i was 33m above the ground. im legally allowed to do this right???

any help or suggestions would be great!

2016-1-5
Use props
[RCG]Balthazar
lvl.4
Flight distance : 475371 ft
Norway

Next time give address to the biggest baddest [Fill in illegal words] and say youre sorry his murder found its way to YouTube
Kidding! Some Canadian have to help you with this one
2016-1-5
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

In an urban area, you will get nowhere near the advertised range. That is in unobstructed area where you will get the long range.
As far as you being legal or not, I don't know about Canada rules.
2016-1-5
Use props
Cessna172
lvl.4
United States

I have had quite a few people follow my drone back to me to find me so yes, they do that.
I tihnk once they see me they decide to move on for the most part.   No problems yet.

There are a lot of people who are very paranoid about drones and ignorant to the fact that the airspace over their homes is not theirs.    The FAA controls airspace from the ground up.
That said, it's best not deliberately push people if you can avoid it.
However,  if someone approaches you and becomes annoying you could call the Police.
I start to get edgy if someone gets within my 5 ft personal space circle.

It hasn't happened yet but I've planned for it.
My pre-planned approach is to be polite until I can get the Phantom landed and safely in my car.
I will tell them I will be glad to discuss it but give me a moment to bring my aircraft down safely.
I will have them move back on the bassis of the danger of the blades as I'm landing.
Once the Phantom and controller are safely in my car, then the "discussion" can begin....or I just tell them to look up Airspace and drone laws.
If they are polite I will be.   If they get nasty....well I can do that too.

Just because you are flying your Phantom (in a manner that is respectful of others) they have no right to harass you.
2016-1-5
Use props
dji_jordan
lvl.2

Canada

thank  you!! thank you all for your input. good to know i am not alone in people fallowing their drone back to him.
i think the guy was doing something illegal in his back yard. why would he care that i had a quad copter over his back yard? ya i lost reception and it hovered there for about 2  mins before returning to home.
i asked my dad and he said it is legal to fly anywhere besides FAA rules and government rules and so on.
i was being respectful and not even video taping because i didn't feel like it. took some pictures of his house or what i think is his house
people get very annoyed with drones and it is because they dont understand them and they dont like being watched.
PS RETURN TO HOME, THE PHANTOM COMES BACK AT FULL SPEED. 16m a second(57km/h or 35mph) i was not aware of this...
2016-1-5
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

dji_jordan Posted at 2016-1-6 09:40
thank  you!! thank you all for your input. good to know i am not alone in people fallowing their dro ...

BTW, the DJI people will contact you shortly, you are not allowed to have the DJI part at the beginning of your username, it is reserved for their staff. You might think about changing your username.
2016-1-5
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
Flight distance : 518084 ft
United Kingdom

I've no idea about the rules in Canada, but in the UK you can't fly closer the 50m to any person not in your control or property you don't have permission to fly near.  To be sure, just google the rules for drones in your country.  Better safe than sorry IMO, or at least know where you stand.

Regarding deleting videos, I've been asked a few times to delete photos by security guards, police officers etc. (I sell images through a stock agency). Unfortunately for them, I know the law & refuse, always, unless I feel it's just easier to do it in front of them for a quiet life, then when I get home I use data recovery software to get them all back again.

It is actually illegal for anyone to make you delete photos or to delete them themselves if they think there's a problem.  The reason being the photos (or video) on the card are evidence to whatever crime they think you may have committed.  That being the case, by deleting the photos/video, you're actually destroying evidence, which can carry hefty penalties, especially for a police officer for example, who should know better.
2016-1-5
Use props
jordan_pilot
lvl.2

Canada

yes i just changed my name. sorry for that. i did read the forums rules and that just didn't come to my mind when i was making my username.
2016-1-5
Use props
jack1144
lvl.3

Canada

jordan_pilot Posted at 2016-1-5 19:07
yes i just changed my name. sorry for that. i did read the forums rules and that just didn't come to ...

Hi jordan
here is a link to TC (Transport Canada) advisory on UAV guidelines
http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilavi ... e-acs-600-2135.html
2016-1-5
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

oh Jordan, you would of tell him you will sell the video video file to him for XXXXX USD
2016-1-5
Use props
jordan_pilot
lvl.2

Canada

HAHAH good one lol
i was not recording at all. i had nothing to delete. i was taking pictures and i kept every picture from that flight.
2016-1-7
Use props
jordan_pilot
lvl.2

Canada

jack1144 Posted at 2016-1-6 13:15
Hi jordan
here is a link to TC (Transport Canada) advisory on UAV guidelines
http://www.tc.gc.ca/e ...

thank you!
2016-1-7
Use props
RodB
lvl.2

Australia

I dont think Id like a drone flying at 30mtrs over my back yard , I live in street that is all 5 and 10 acre property's and I wouldnt fly over their houses just a privacy thing I guess  , I wouldnt like it so I wont do it to other people .
2016-1-7
Use props
jordan_pilot
lvl.2

Canada

the 2 guys that tracked me down were most likely doing something illegal in their back yard.
well drones are getting more and more popular. more and more are getting put in the sky. it is LEGAL to fly over peoples houses. i was not spying. i was not recording.  just doing a simple distance test. for the future i will fly a lot higher. like 45m altitude
2016-1-7
Use props
GTDrone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2197703 ft
Guatemala

jeje this is kind of funny because people follow our drones to see where it goes or lands
it happen to me some times , but as long you are not harassing someone everything is ok ,
also you can go to your DJI go app and show that you are not spying  and record , and also there is some people that just want to joke and
tell you stuff like that for fun
2016-1-7
Use props
RodB
lvl.2

Australia

jordan_pilot Posted at 2016-1-8 08:03
the 2 guys that tracked me down were most likely doing something illegal in their back yard.
well d ...

Thing is they dont know if youre filming or not , the guy could be banging his missus beside the pool , wife might like sun baking nude , might have valuable items they dont want seen risking theft , you could be casing the area for theft , who knows but I can see how most people wont like drones flying over their homes .
2016-1-7
Use props
raveneapoe
lvl.2

United States

Why not just take your aircraft up to around 300 feet or more before you bring it home?   A lot harder to see or follow at that altitude.  A lot less danger of accidentally flying into a building, tree or tower too.
2016-1-7
Use props
headkumquat
lvl.3
Flight distance : 16060 ft
Canada

Hi Jordan;
Here's a link to something you might want to print out and take with you while flying. Made for us Canadians:
http://pencanada.ca/wp-content/u ... r-rights-poster.pdf
I've also found it helps to show people what the camera actually "sees".  Most uninformed people assume our quads are equipped with massive zoom lenses similar to military drones. Once they see that at thirty meters up the details get sketchy, they back off the "invasion of privacy" kick.
Have fun flying!
2016-1-7
Use props
jordan_pilot
lvl.2

Canada

headkumquat Posted at 2016-1-8 07:54
Hi Jordan;
Here's a link to something you might want to print out and take with you while flying. Ma ...

thankyou! im printing it out right now! very helpful
2016-1-7
Use props
jordan_pilot
lvl.2

Canada

raveneapoe Posted at 2016-1-8 07:49
Why not just take your aircraft up to around 300 feet or more before you bring it home?   A lot hard ...

i set the RTH at 40m and was flying at 30m. it was my mistake to fly so low lol. next time going to fly at 50m altitude.  
2016-1-7
Use props
jordan_pilot
lvl.2

Canada

GTDrone Posted at 2016-1-8 06:42
jeje this is kind of funny because people follow our drones to see where it goes or lands
it happen ...

this guy was not joking. but i will fly higher in the future. i was not spying. nor can you see anything from 33m up. i was going for a joy ride. but yes i understand the complaint but im allowed to fly my quad, was just my mistake to have flown it so low.
2016-1-7
Use props
hummingbird.uav
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 27489951 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I have a few "Dronophobics" near me.  I try not to fly over people's back yards, stick more to roads (very low traffic).  I've done a lot of testing over the years out of my back yard, my neighbors don't mind.  90% of my flying is near industrial parks or city parks (fortunately there are NO bylaws against flying RC in a city park where I live)  If you are very confident at FPV cover up the lights, fly high and the machine will be much hard to spot.
2016-1-7
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

jordan_pilot Posted at 2016-1-8 08:40
this guy was not joking. but i will fly higher in the future. i was not spying. nor can you see an ...

I live on an Acreage as well,
As a rule once out of my yard I am not less than 200' and usually much more like 300'+ due to trees and for the simple fact I do not want the neighbours thinking I am keeping an eye on them...
I have had a few pull up beside my yard and look over towards me and I just smile and look back..No issues so far and nothing to put in the Enquirer either!
2016-1-7
Use props
GTDrone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2197703 ft
Guatemala

raveneapoe Posted at 2016-1-7 17:49
Why not just take your aircraft up to around 300 feet or more before you bring it home?   A lot hard ...

Nice advise , also there is a switch to turn off the red lights
2016-1-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules