No Fly Zone message when in a clear area.
3265 14 2016-1-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
vloiacono
New

United States

I am new to the drone world but I've been trying to educate myself so as not to become a news story or to lose a considerable amount of money by making a silly mistake.  To that end I have done tons of research and have finally purchased the Phantom 3 Advanced.  I read all of the documentation, follwed all of the instructions and various forums, and have been as proactive as I can be.  

The day came to finally fly for the first time so I went to an oprn field next to home, set the drone down and powered it up.  I recieved the No Fly Zone message and could not launch it.  I went back home and started doing my reaserch.  Any map I look at, including DJI's does not show my area as a No Fly Zone, so why can't I launch?  I will admit that there is a small airport about 1.5 miles from where I was, but after reading the No Fly Zone documentation it would seem to me to be a catagory B airport and I'd only need to be 1 km form there which I was. Still, I drove about 6 miles further away and tried to launch again with the same results.  I have yet to be able to launch no matter where I go.

I reached out to DJI support via chat but they pasted some standard trouble shooting techniques and disconnected the session.  Today i am going to call DJI to see what the matter might be.  I'll follow up later here.

My questions are:  Could there be an issue with my drone that it always thinks it's in a No Fly Zone and is there a way to verify this?  If there's an issue, What is the best way to deal with it?

Sorry for being so verbose.  This is my first time actually posting on any forum, so I'm breaking ground all over the place.

Thanks for the help.
2016-1-18
Use props
[RCG]Balthazar
lvl.4
Flight distance : 475371 ft
Norway

Have a look at this http://forum.dji.com/thread-40081-1-1.html
2016-1-18
Use props
gdl39
lvl.2

United States

If you have an iPhone download the b4ufly app.. There might be a school/company/hospital/major highway nearby. Any of those could be considered a heliport.
2016-1-18
Use props
vloiacono
New

United States

I spent 45 minutes waiting for a DJI representative who was kind and pleasant although he told me after 15 minutes that he had other calls he needed to take even though we weren't done trouble shooting.  He said we could continue the discussion via email.  So far this is what i have tried as per DJI support but i am still not able to fly:

Option 1:
- "Connect the drone in a networking environment." (I take that to mean the connect the drone via the mobile device to the internet)
-" Enter the flight simulator and try to pull the control stick to start the drone, that excessive NO FLY ZONES would be eliminated."  (I did this and it eliminated it for the flight simulator but not the actual drone)

Option 2:
-"Mobile device need connecting to the internet." (I believe that is the same as the first line of option 1)
- "Drone on and should be on P-GPS mode, stay in open area with good GPS signal."
- "Mobile device need connecting to the drone"
- "Wait 1-5 min, and try to reboot the app to check"

I did all of this and even reinstalled the DJI Go app but I am still having the same issue.

I have sent my Longitude and Latitude in response in hopes that they can verify that I am in fact not in a No Fly Zone, but again it doesn't show on their map or on Mapbox.com either.

Any advice?
2016-1-18
Use props
vloiacono
New

United States

I haven't heard back from support but I think I know why now I have the No Fly Zone issue.  DJI's map sucks!  If you look on https://app.airmap.io/ it gives you all the data that DJI must use but doesn't post on their map.  Very frustrating.  My area happens to be smack in the center of two 5 mile recreational restricted zones that do not show up on the DJI map.  Hopefully this information will help others.
2016-1-18
Use props
[RCG]Balthazar
lvl.4
Flight distance : 475371 ft
Norway

vloiacono Posted at 2016-1-18 21:51
I haven't heard back from support but I think I know why now I have the No Fly Zone issue.  DJI's ma ...

Interesting.
It doesn't show squat in my area though...

DJI I would like to help with that.
Add me to the beta forum perhaps?
2016-1-18
Use props
vloiacono
New

United States

[RCG]Balthazar Posted at 2016-1-18 14:42

Thank you, I've tried this as per the support rep earlier but I'll try it again. I still think the 5 mile recreational restriction is going to get me. I'll have to move outside that area and test to be certain.
2016-1-18
Use props
vloiacono
New

United States

gdl39 Posted at 2016-1-18 14:48
If you have an iPhone download the b4ufly app.. There might be a school/company/hospital/major highw ...

Wow gdl39, that app is an eye opener. There are so many helipads around my location, I'm not sure I'll ever get away from a NFZ.

One is less than half a mile from my home. It's a pretty big house on a large piece of land. I believe it is just a very wealthy person with a helipad.

Thanks for the information though, I appreciate it.
2016-1-18
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

vloiacono Posted at 2016-1-18 14:51
I haven't heard back from support but I think I know why now I have the No Fly Zone issue.  DJI's ma ...

The link requires logging in.
2016-1-18
Use props
DJI-Patrick
Captain

Hong Kong

Please check the No Fly Zone at this page : http://www.dji.com/flysafe
If there's difference in your DJI Go map , please update your DJI Go App to the latest version . If the problem still exists , please try this way . Firstly , turn your aircraft on and keep it on P-GPS mode . Then, keep your mobile connected to the net and connect your mobile to the aircraft . Please wait for several minutes , restart the DJI Go App and see if it's fixed .
2016-1-18
Use props
thomasthan8
New

Malaysia

vloiacono Posted at 2016-1-19 04:15
I spent 45 minutes waiting for a DJI representative who was kind and pleasant although he told me af ...

just delete & download the dji go app againt .... i did it today..... every ok now
2016-1-19
Use props
vloiacono
New

United States

DJI-Patrick Posted at 2016-1-19 02:57
Please check the No Fly Zone at this page : http://www.dji.com/flysafe
If there's difference in your ...

Thanks for the response on this.  I have checked this map and my air space is clear according to it.  It is also clear on my DJI Go App which I have deleted and reinstalled.  As per the DJI technical support person I spoke with, I have tried the method you recommended here but the results are the same.

The one question I can't seem to have answered is: does the DJI NO Fly Zone map, that you point to and is on the DJI Go App, govern wether the drone can take off or does something else?
2016-1-20
Use props
vloiacono
New

United States

[RCG]Balthazar Posted at 2016-1-18 14:42

Well, I tried this again today and now it works.  I can't wait to fly!  thanks for the responses and help everyone.
2016-1-20
Use props
vloiacono
New

United States

I'd like to close the loop on this whole thing. My P3A is now able to fly. I can only imagine that DJI had updated a NFZ database that fixed it. As for my question about which No Fly Zone map governs the DJI drones I was given an answer tonight by their tech support.   "Kindly be noted that your Phantom 3 only subject to restrictions on our official website, you can check the no fly zone here : http://www.dji.com/flysafe/no-fly"  Thanks everyone for the great help and suggestions.
2016-1-20
Use props
DJI-Patrick
Captain

Hong Kong

vloiacono Posted at 2016-1-20 21:23
Thanks for the response on this.  I have checked this map and my air space is clear according to i ...

If the No Fly Zone is shown in your DJI Go App , you'll not be able to fly in this place .
2016-1-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules