Hundreds of Flights First Crash Help P3 Pro
1939 11 2016-1-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rmh2003
lvl.2
Flight distance : 483917 ft
United States

Guys I have made hundreds of flights with my P3 Pro and never had an issue. I had flown on christmas but did not do the latest updated that was pushed on 12/22 until last week. I flew that morning after the update and everything was fine. Next flight that afternoon I flew for 10+ minutes and had 45% battery left on my descent to end my flight i was maybe 100 feet altitude and all the sudden it starts going crazy jerking in all four directions like it was unstable coming down. I tried everything hitting the sticks back up, left, right...etc and it would not stop coming down jerking in all four directions like it was very choppy. So I immediately start running for it to try to catch it and it lands on the top of it flipped upside down and I grab the leg and then it is still stuck in full throttle trying to take off props spinning as fast they could. I was doing everything I could to try to hold the phantom from flying off again. I was not holding teh controller I had set it on the ground so nothing was telling it to try to take off again. I ended up having my son come over and try to push the sticks to shut it off and it would not respond to that. I then tried to reach up with one hand as the props are spinning full speed to try to shut the battery off and it would not respond to that. I ended up having to pull the battery while risking getting cut with the props, it was stuck in full throttle up at this point.

I have never had a crash or any types of issues, I know there are other thread on here but where in the world do I try to begin on what type of issue this was and what I can do to resolve it?

Thanks so much!
2016-1-25
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
Flight distance : 518084 ft
United Kingdom

Sounds bad...send it to DJI for repair & ask for a data analysis.  Maybe upload the flight data first & see what they say.
2016-1-25
Use props
rmh2003
lvl.2
Flight distance : 483917 ft
United States

nigelw Posted at 2016-1-25 12:21
Sounds bad...send it to DJI for repair & ask for a data analysis.  Maybe upload the flight data firs ...

Here is the flight details http://healthydrones.com/main?share=MTg0OQ
2016-1-25
Use props
Jkeller84
Second Officer
Flight distance : 396955 ft
  • >>>
United States

I see a few things that stick out, but I am certainly not a pro at reading these things. Large gusts of wind and some signal errors at the point of the problem.
2016-1-25
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sine you have the DAT file if the incident, call the support center 818-235-0789 and start a ticket and a link to the DAT file (upload it to dropbox) They will analyze the flight logs and tell you what happened.
Also, always after an update, calibrate the IMU, compass, and gimnbal.
2016-1-25
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Compass doesn't look happy at all.  My guess is you need to calibrate the compass & IMU.
2016-1-25
Use props
[RCG]Balthazar
lvl.4
Flight distance : 475371 ft
Norway

Also make sure the battery is updated!
There's a lot of red's in your cell info.
2016-1-25
Use props
SFGiants24
lvl.2
Flight distance : 394524 ft

United States

nigelw Posted at 2016-1-25 11:24
Compass doesn't look happy at all.  My guess is you need to calibrate the compass & IMU.

I'm no expert either but your compass went haywire some 10 minutes into your flight. Did you calibrate after updating?
2016-1-25
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

SFGiants24 Posted at 2016-1-26 17:44
I'm no expert either but your compass went haywire some 10 minutes into your flight. Did you calib ...

For those suggesting that the compass is the problem, the compass indications don't start until 10.35

What HealthyDrones says about compass indications is: Found rate of change in the compass of 25 degrees or more per 0.1 seconds.
That's about a 90 degree turn in a third of a second, which is not normal.
This can be a result of extremly strong winds, a crash into an object or a bad compass.

Look at the altitude numbers after 10.35 and you see the compass is detecting that the Phantom is tumbling from the sky.
Compass errors are not the cause of this incident at all.
2016-1-26
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
United Kingdom

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-1-26 12:54
For those suggesting that the compass is the problem, the compass indications don't start until 10 ...

True story.

It looks like the wind speed was suddenly picking up at 9:17, but could that be because the GPS signal was wandering or incorrect?
2016-1-26
Use props
Neary Aerial
New

United States

We cover all Phantoms and Inspires, as well as Blade, Walkera, Yuneec, and 3DR. https://neary-aerial.com
2016-1-27
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

That was a good trick at the end.  Apparently your Phantom was some 1300 feet below ground.  That was some impact.
2016-1-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules