crashed my Advanced
2136 15 2016-1-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
amanda98366
New

United States

Hello guys, My name is Amanda and  i need some advice.  I did something really dumb and crashed my P3 Advanced into a tree today and now its in pieces.
i'm sure i have to send it in so thats not the question, i guess im asking what do you guys think? looking at the pictures, do you feel the repair bill will be close to the $800 i paid for it?
I was thinking id be better off selling off the remote and the two batteries and extra props that i got with it just to lessen the hurt financially. I just got this thing at christmas time and only have 10-15 flights......anyway, any advice would be great

You can see the pictures, the camera is broken off completely.
image1 copy 2.JPG
image1 copy 2.JPG
image3.JPG
2016-1-29
Use props
junior.mro.avrz
lvl.2

United States

Send it anyways to DJI, isñf is you fault or not always is gonna be better if DJI repair it, is they repair The price is less you are they customer that make The diference.
2016-1-29
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

sorry to hear about the crash,
you could try to send it in for an estimate but that is a guesstimate as to how much that might cost,
hard to tell from the picts if the camera just detached or did the gimbal actually snap off,
you might do o.k. to part it out as well, just a thought.
good luck with whatever you do and hope you are not discouraged from getting back up in the air some day.
2016-1-29
Use props
dmcman73
lvl.1

United States

The copter hit into a tree or did a tree fall on that? Wow, that's a lot of damage.

A replacement case is like $60 and new legs are $12, the camera is what's the most expensive part of the copter at about $409. Who knows what else is busted internally though and how much DJI will charge. Send it in and get an estimate. Worst case is that it's too high, you get the copter back unrepaired and sell it for parts on ebay and then sell the remote separate for more money. Bets case is, cost is a lot lower having DJI repair it.

Here is a spare parts page if you were going to attempt to fix it yourself: http://store.dji.com/phantom-accessories/phantom-3-spare-parts
2016-1-29
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

Since I just crashed my advanced yesterday,  I can speak on this with some authority.  First,  it's not as bad as it seems.  In fact,  it's not as bad as mine.  You can buy a gimbal repair kit that is exactly what you need to fix the gimbal for about 50 dollars.  If you are a little handy with tools,  it is an easy fix.  Those wires with plastic things hanging out are the antenna.  Chances are,  you can glue them back in place.  In my case,  the camera broke the entire gimbal assembly off inside the camera body art the swivel.  I had to replace the entire camera/gimbal assembly.  I found a brand new one on ebay for about 350.00.  A set of props can be had for about 20 dollars.  And don't forget,  you don't need the camera to fly.  So,  to sum it up,  from the appearance in your pictures. it will cost less than 100 dollars in parts.  And the labor is pretty simple.
2016-1-29
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Kneepuck Posted at 2016-1-30 14:19
Since I just crashed my advanced yesterday,  I can speak on this with some authority.  First,  it's  ...

"Those wires with plastic things hanging out are the antenna.  Chances are,  you can glue them back in place. "
The Lightbridge antennas just click into place.
No glue needed.
But it must have been a big impact to shake those.
2016-1-29
Use props
chris.sonnenber
lvl.2

United States

I did the same thing with a little less damage. I got it repaired for around $400. ATKDrones did the fix and it works great now.
2016-1-29
Use props
SVTRay
lvl.3

United States

Just curious, but would buying a plain P3 new for $500 and use it for parts be a viable solution?

I'm not sure differences there is between the P3 and Advance but the camera/gimbal if the same runs $350-400. The shell another $50-60 etc. You will still have misc new parts left over. Anyhow, just a thought. Who knows, maybe find a used Advance for $500-600 and keep the old one as parts?
2016-1-29
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
United States

SVTRay Posted at 2016-1-29 20:51
Just curious, but would buying a plain P3 new for $500 and use it for parts be a viable solution?

Nope.  I wish it would.  I have a standard and an advanced and just crashed my advanced.
2016-1-30
Use props
SVTRay
lvl.3

United States

Kneepuck Posted at 2016-1-31 06:27
Nope.  I wish it would.  I have a standard and an advanced and just crashed my advanced.

It was worth a try.

Well, maybe you can find a used one or crashed one on craigslist/ebay for parts? I did that a lot when I was big into RC trucks.
2016-1-30
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
United States

I found a camera/gimbal assembly on ebay 350 bucks new OEM part.  I can do the labor myself.
2016-1-30
Use props
jcooper110
lvl.1

United States

Amanda? what do you want for the props and batteries?
Dam that sucker looks like you clipped a steel poll, camera head on.
2016-1-30
Use props
GTDrone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2197703 ft
Guatemala

i think that the quad is ok , but its better if you can send it to DJI , and get the camera also you can get the 4k camera instead of the stock one if you want to upgrade ,
and wait for the DJI support response if they say that that will cost you 500 USD , its better that you send the quad in eBay and get a new phantom advance
there is a lot of people like me that want to buy a cheap advance to add some extra features or an external gimbal , also  to do some tricks  and racing with no worries because of the gimbal
2016-1-30
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

Not sure if you have decided to try to repair or not or maybe you have some tech skills or know someone that can help,
found this link via another poster who recently crashed his as well, very unfortunate but there may be light at the end of the tunnel....

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2460080 directs you to another forum with links to a kit to repair the gimbal, maybe more parts needed but very inexpensive relative to a new bird or camera presuming the camera is salvageable,

Also check out www.phantomhelp.com for lots of good how to's, parts etc.

Good luck and not sure if anyone asked or if you ever offered but..how did you crash into the tree?

I may be interested in buying the whole lot from you if you are  interested in selling it!! I am thinking you are in WA which is not too  to far from where i am located.

t d p s t 5 at gee mail dot com

2016-1-31
Use props
cldennis-slcc
New
United States

I am sorry for your loss and all our hopes for a speedy recovery back to flying.

For repairs, I think that these folks might be able to help you.  They are a very good company and well experienced repair of UAV.  I do not know what their rates are, but might be a good alternative to sending your P3 back to Hong Kong.

Cheers!
http://www.rockymountainunmannedsystems.com/
2016-1-31
Use props
nrechtman
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1555344 ft
United States

Call DJI at +1 (818) 235 0789, they are in California and request an RMA to ship it back for repair, they will email you a prepaid shipping label to send it back for diagnosis and repair. I saw a post from someone on another site who had the same type of damage and their repair was about $175
2016-2-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules