12Next >
2933 41 2016-2-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
gdl39
lvl.2

United States

http://www.engadget.com/2016/02/03/faa-drone-registry-is-a-privacy-nightmare/

The FAA is delighted that signups for its new drone registry have hit300,000. But the agency's buoyant mood is destined for a nosedive. The FAA isn't warning drone owners their names and addresses are easilysearchable and downloadable (47MB) in the agency's online registry.
2016-2-3
Use props
Dr. Acula
lvl.2

The linked 47 Megabyte database seems to be an N-number database, which is for commercial registrations.  The N-number database assigns a number to each aircraft.  The hobby database only has one number per registrant that covers all their aircraft, and details of specific hobby aircraft aren't being asked for.  This 47 MB database also includes a bunch of PO Box addresses, which I believe the FAA does not accept for the hobby database.
2016-2-3
Use props
PhantomVooDoo
lvl.1

United States

Looking at the listing so far it appears to be businesses and schools showing up. Example Virginia Tech appears to have a Phantom 2 and 3.
2016-2-3
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Correct, the list is FAA registered full size aircraft. My name AND address is listed there.
Talk about Privacy, when I got my pilots license over 20 years ago my license number was my Social Security number. Think about that, you could look on the FAA website and have anyone's SSN who had a pilots license.
2016-2-3
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

If you didn't already realise this article is total nonsense, looking at just a few of the comments would point that out very quickly.
Here are a couple:
RogueLeaderabout an hour ago
You should really rethink this article. The N-Number database deals with section 333 commercial operators and full scale aircraft, and has had the 333 operators in there for over a year. You've tried to tie the Drone Aircraft Registration Process, the N-Number database, and Section 333 together. Worst. Reporting. Ever.
Tomabout 2 hours ago
The new UAS registry does not take any drone information from users. No make.. no model... no serial number... nothing other than name and address. You also do NOT get an N-number. So how exactly do you think you can use those values as a search into the new database.. how exactly do you think that info is magically entered in? ALso, instead of an N number you get one of the new FA numbers. Yet there is no FA number in the results from that search and you can't search on that number. If you were really searching the new database.. where prey tell did that number go? Hmm...
DirtyOFriesabout 2 hours ago
@violetblue - How about leaving the reporting to the professionals - you continuously providing false information just damages your own credibility and those of this publication.

The UAV database you cite here is for commercial operators and has nothing to do with private citizens. If you have an ax to grind, get a Tumblr.
2016-2-3
Use props
SVTRay
lvl.3

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-2-4 04:06
Correct, the list is FAA registered full size aircraft. My name AND address is listed there.
Talk ab ...

It was this way for some state issued driver's license. I remember the first time I saw an out of state DL with the person's DL being their Social, it freaked me out!
2016-2-3
Use props
pantera989
lvl.3

New Zealand

Meh, not that hard to find someone's name and address, heard of a phone book? Privacy is just big go to word when people want to grab your attention or scare people.
I'm guessing it's so you can be identified if your are doing stupid stuff with your drone? If you ain't doing anything wrong, you've got nothing to hide.

I don't really know what a Social Security Number is other then reference in movies, but surly a number without any other form of ID or security questions wouldn't be useful to anyone?
2016-2-3
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

My pilot's license definitely is NOT my SSN.
2016-2-3
Use props
gbrenema
lvl.1

United States

Flyin'Bryan Posted at 2016-2-3 21:52
sorry to tell you guys... but before you go run ing your mouth you should learn some facts. The FAA  ...

Have to agree with Flyin Bryan the registration system will be a case of continued "mission creep". And no in the U.S, we definitely do not want are social security numbers floating around everywhere unless you simply enjoy identity theft.
2016-2-3
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

Dr. Acula Posted at 2016-2-3 14:34
The linked 47 Megabyte database seems to be an N-number database, which is for commercial registrati ...

A spokesperson for the FAA stated a few weeks ago that the database (the one for registering UAVs) is not searchable by the public. However, there are plans in the near future to make it so. So, even though it isn't currently capable of being searched, it's only a matter of time.

Art - N4PJ
Leesburg, FL
2016-2-4
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-2-3 15:06
Talk ab ...

Frankly, I've been amazed at the use of social security numbers. Whenever you come across information about SSNs, there's a notice that says those numbers are *only* to be used for Social Security purposes.

But, every time you blink, someone other than the Social Security administration is asking you to use that number. When I was inducted into the US Air Force in 1962, I was given a serial number. A few years later, the serial number was thrown out and our "new ID" became our Social Security number.

Any reasonable security expert would rail against using SSAN as much as we do. Doesn't seem to bother our government!
2016-2-4
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
United States

pantera989@gmai Posted at 2016-2-3 20:52
Meh, not that hard to find someone's name and address, heard of a phone book? Privacy is just big go ...

I worked for a local phone company for almost 30 years. The way the phone book was used in the old days is no longer possible. Huge percentages of residences no longer have a "land-line." Cell phone and internet phones are the order of the day.

The latest "phone book" I received from the company providing local service has no residential listings any more.

What about the "white pages" on the web? Success rate at finding numbers is probably only 50% and, often, you can only obtain more information if you're willing to pay for it.

But, as I wrote earlier, the FAA has already admitted that, eventually, the UAV database will be searchable by the public. Can someone really obtain any worthwhile information? Personally speaking, I've got a pretty good alarm system - and a Smith & Wesson .40 calibre pistol.

I highly doubt that the UAV registry will morph into a national drone-theft list.
2016-2-4
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
United States

Flyin'Bryan Posted at 2016-2-3 23:52
sorry to tell you guys... but before you go run ing your mouth you should learn some facts. The FAA  ...

Sorry Bryan - I should have read ahead a little bit - you hit the nail before I even found my hammer!
2016-2-4
Use props
Westside Osprey
lvl.3
Flight distance : 95915 ft
United States

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2016-2-3 22:33

My Pilots License since 1984 is my SS# with  one number missing.
2016-2-4
Use props
Westside Osprey
lvl.3
Flight distance : 95915 ft
United States

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2016-2-3 22:33

2016-2-4
Use props
dewayt
lvl.2
Flight distance : 641224 ft
United States

N numbers have been searchable for quite some time.
2016-2-4
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2016-2-4 11:33

If you got it 20yrs ago like I did then it was.
2016-2-4
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Westside Osprey Posted at 2016-2-4 22:19

Mine was my entire SSN number.
2016-2-4
Use props
Wolfiesden
lvl.3

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-2-4 09:38
Mine was my entire SSN number.

WTF.  The SSN card clearly states "NOT FOR USE AS IDENTIFICATION"
2016-2-4
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Wolfiesden Posted at 2016-2-5 01:38

Ya, but it probably didn't say that 20yrs ago.
2016-2-4
Use props
nrgwise
Second Officer

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-2-4 13:26
Ya, but it probably didn't say that 20yrs ago.

Yes it did.  Mine is from the 60's and it says it on it.
2016-2-4
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

nrgwise Posted at 2016-2-5 02:39
Yes it did.  Mine is from the 60's and it says it on it.

Hmmm, well then there was a difference in opinion between the two agencies.
2016-2-4
Use props
nrgwise
Second Officer

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-2-4 13:41
Hmmm, well then there was a difference in opinion between the two agencies.

It is the only SS card I have ever had.
2016-2-4
Use props
Riley-NZL
lvl.3

New Zealand

gbrenema@ix.net Posted at 2016-2-4 15:15
Have to agree with Flyin Bryan the registration system will be a case of continued "mission creep" ...

Really? What were they thinking, using a single number as a form of identification with no verification?

Why are you guys complain about the drone database's security issues when you should be much more concerned about your 1800's style identification system?
2016-2-4
Use props
Riley-NZL
lvl.3

New Zealand

aburkefl@gmail. Posted at 2016-2-4 21:27
I worked for a local phone company for almost 30 years. The way the phone book was used in the old ...

"I highly doubt that the UAV registry will morph into a national drone-theft list."

Agreed, I would imagine thieves would base their targets on much better things then if there is a drone in a particular house or not.
2016-2-4
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

nrgwise Posted at 2016-2-5 03:29
It is the only SS card I have ever had.

I meant a difference in what the SS Admin said and what the FAA did.
2016-2-4
Use props
Wolfiesden
lvl.3

United States

Riley-NZL Posted at 2016-2-4 13:43
Really? What were they thinking, using a single number as a form of identification with no verific ...

What were they thinking?  I can tell you exactly what they were thinking.

"Foot in the door".
2016-2-4
Use props
WetDog
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1131886 ft
United States

Riley-NZL Posted at 2016-2-4 10:43
Really? What were they thinking, using a single number as a form of identification with no verific ...

We like to whine about little things.  Keeps us from worrying about bigger problems.
2016-2-4
Use props
WetDog
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1131886 ft
United States

Wolfiesden Posted at 2016-2-4 10:47
What were they thinking?  I can tell you exactly what they were thinking.

"Foot in the door".

Nope, fails Hanlon's Razor -

Never ascribe to malice that which can be explained by incompetence.
2016-2-4
Use props
SVTRay
lvl.3

United States

Wolfiesden Posted at 2016-2-5 01:38

If you'll buy that, I've got some ocean front property in West Texas I'll sell you dirt cheap!

SSNs has been used for ID since their birth. There is about a dozen states that used social security numbers as state issued driver's licenses numbers. Federal law now requires a state to collect a social security number per each drivers license issued. How states get away with issues DLs to illegals is beyond me but thats another story.

2016-2-4
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
United States

Westside Osprey Posted at 2016-2-4 08:19

I heard that was happening in some places (countries).  I was not aware it was here.  I haven't been actively flying for several years.
2016-2-4
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-2-4 09:34
If you got it 20yrs ago like I did then it was.

Mine's over 50 yrs old.  
2016-2-4
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

The current data base for UAV registration is searchable for 30 days from date of entry, then drops off the list, atleast for now.

Older Social Security cards did state, Not for Identification Purposes. That's now gone.

When I got my A&P ticket, my social security number was used. It wasn't until the late 1990's that they allowed for a number change. Same for a pilots license.

Police departments and insurance companies requested you to engrave electronics and things of value with your SS number.

As far as people targeting thefts of UAV's based in the data base. It's possible, once you  filter by manufacturer and look for the units costing more than $5k. Anything less in value, wouldn't be worth the risk.

Like everything government does, mission creep is the word. Information has value. I'd imagine that within the next couple of years, you'll get solicitations for "Drone Insurance" based on the data base.

2016-2-5
Use props
Wolfiesden
lvl.3

United States

gregg1r Posted at 2016-2-5 10:30
The current data base for UAV registration is searchable for 30 days from date of entry, then drops  ...

Except for the fact people break into cars just for the change in your ashtray or drink holder.  They certainly will go for a $1k Phantom.  Especially if they know it will be accompanied by computers and other electronics capable of handling the video from them.  Its not the bird.  The bird is simply a detector for a high profit heist of the bird and other items quite likely in the same house.
2016-2-5
Use props
Wolfiesden
lvl.3

United States

SVTRay Posted at 2016-2-4 15:41
If you'll buy that, I've got some ocean front property in West Texas I'll sell you dirt cheap!   ...

Trade you for the waterfront property i have just east of Miami.  Great views.  Quiet neighbors.  Fantastic fishing.
2016-2-5
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

Wolfiesden Posted at 2016-2-5 12:45
Except for the fact people break into cars just for the change in your ashtray or drink holder.  T ...

The point here is that a drone is a cheap piece of plastic. Selling it off HOT, would bring maybe $100.

People that have an intent of breaking into houses would be more interested in your silverware, TV, stereo and computer rather than your Phantom.

Heck, if they're going to break into your house and you have a car in the driveway, they'll steal your car as most people have extra keys close to the door.

A few years back, house burglars were watching the obituaries and breaking into homes during funeral services.

You can't stop anyone intent on breaking the law, whatever the law happens to be.
2016-2-5
Use props
Wolfiesden
lvl.3

United States

Thats what I am saying.  The phantom is a tracer.  Just as the obit was.
2016-2-5
Use props
SVTRay
lvl.3

United States

Wolfiesden Posted at 2016-2-5 11:46
Trade you for the waterfront property i have just east of Miami.  Great views.  Quiet neighbors.   ...

Tempting, very tempting
2016-2-5
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

gregg1r Posted at 2016-2-6 03:30
The current data base for UAV registration is searchable for 30 days from date of entry, then drops  ...

"As far as people targeting thefts of UAV's based in the data base. It's possible, once you  filter by manufacturer and look for the units costing more than $5k. Anything less in value, wouldn't be worth the risk."

BUT the database has no information regarding what sort of drone any owner has.
And registration takes in all kinds of children's toys right down to 250 grams.
The notion that drone thieves exist or that the database would be used by them (if they existed) is beyond ridiculous.
2016-2-5
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
United States

gregg1r Posted at 2016-2-5 11:30

"As far as people targeting thefts of UAV's based in the data base. It's possible, once you  filter by manufacturer and look for the units costing more than $5k. Anything less in value, wouldn't be worth the risk."

I registered myself on the FAA web site. I don't recall anything there where they asked me how much I had invested in my product(s). Or what specific product(s) I purchased. All they know for sure is that I own either a fixed-wing model airplane or some kind of "drone" that weighs from 0.55 pounds to 55 pounds.

Since there's a single registration number, they have no idea how many of any of those I own.

Did I miss something?
2016-2-5
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules