Printing Photos
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
sgorstein
lvl.3
Flight distance : 7173363 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hello, Long time reader here, first time poster...

I wanted to ask if anyone had any experience or recommendations with a good online service to order large format high resolution prints of photos taken with a P3Pro, and how large people have successfully blown up images captured in printout with good effect.

Thanks.

2016-2-5
Use props
jlspitler
lvl.3
Flight distance : 48130 ft

United States

I have edited my photos at home just upload to walmarts website and have them printed out. I printed out a 20x30 yesterday and it came out beautiful. Last at the photo lab said I could have made it bigger to a 20x36.
2016-2-5
Use props
artworksmetal
lvl.1

United States

I absolutely recommend MPIX. They make great prints, and ship even the real large ones flat, not rolled up. Prints are super well protected.  Quick responses to questions when you need support.
They've done all my DSLR shots, from Paris to Prague to Peru.
(Like that alliteration?)
2016-2-5
Use props
chefdrew
lvl.2
Flight distance : 665554 ft
United States

Well I have not had any if the phantom pictures printed yet but I have tried a few other print services before with my normal photography.   I have found out that Costco does just as good of a job as any and they are cheaper than most services.
2016-2-5
Use props
rskardon
lvl.2

United States

jlspitler Posted at 2016-2-5 21:05
I have edited my photos at home just upload to walmarts website and have them printed out. I printed ...

I'm pretty surprised that it would look ok at that scale? I haven't been too impressed with the stills from my p3p, they ok but not something i'd get blown up. My Nikon D750 SLR can handle that sort of scale but probably not loads more before it would start to look a bit less than sharp close up.

A service I've used recently that looks awesome with the right photo is Aluminyze (http://www.aluminyze.com/) they print using aluminium as the background, the matte finish is incredible for black and white and the gloss adds real depth to colour shots, definitely worth a look for really good shots.
2016-2-5
Use props
SVTRay
lvl.3

United States

jlspitler Posted at 2016-2-5 07:05
I have edited my photos at home just upload to walmarts website and have them printed out. I printed ...

That is some pretty nice sizes for a 12 mp camera.

2016-2-5
Use props
SVTRay
lvl.3

United States

Generally speaking,

Printing can be a science on its own. Anyhow, it comes down to DPI, dots per inch. The more DPI, The better the resolution. Lets say you start out with 300 DPI which is typical.

12 MP @300dpi can produce a high resolution 15 X10
12 MP @200dpi can produce a good resolution 21 X14
12 MP @150DPI can produce an ok resolution 28 X 18

You can print larger at lower dpi but the resolution starts going down quick. Now with that said, I would think you could print up a 20 X30 and still look good. This is why i use a 36 mp camera...only wished I could afford a drone that could carry it.

Another thing when it comes to printing is how is this picture going to be viewed? 3ft or 4ft away? 3 ft would need 200 PPI (Pixels per in similar to dpi) while 4ft would need 150-175ppi. The closer you get, the higher the resolution needs to be.
2016-2-5
Use props
johnsr
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1579022 ft
France

The usual "rule of thumb" is that good prints are done at a resolution of 180 ppi (pixels per inch), better prints at 240 ppi, and excellent prints at 300 ppi. Considering a photo from the Phantom at 4000 pixels wide, this translates to 22 inches (56 cm) wide at 180 ppi, 16 inches (42 cm) wide at 240 ppi, and 13 inches (34 cm) wide at 300 ppi. Actually it depends upon the typical viewing distance; large posters (viewed from 3 ft or so) are often done at 150 ppi. Hope this helps...
2016-2-5
Use props
Michael M
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1984898 ft
Canada

jlspitler Posted at 2016-2-5 05:05

Cost?        
2016-2-5
Use props
Bhujang
lvl.4
Flight distance : 534587 ft
United Kingdom

Photo bucket are very good and give free online storage for the images. They send loads of emails with bargains and discounts for picture printing.
2016-2-5
Use props
jlspitler
lvl.3
Flight distance : 48130 ft

United States

Michael M Posted at 2016-2-6 00:44
Cost?

$13 for a 16x20 and $20 for a 20x30 printed same day within the hour.
2016-2-5
Use props
Don Loftus
lvl.3

United States

You could get a printer for use at home.  I bought my own color ink jet printer, an Epson R2000, that does 13x19 inch prints that look great.  The cost of prints is not bad since I was able to get additional Epson inks off Amazon for a VERY reasonable price.  My printer was about $400 US dollars several years ago, but look around and you should be able to find something cheaper that will still do a good job.  This way you can do your own custom prints as you need them.

I have a wall in my house that I covered with short nap carpet and display my photos there using thumb tacks to hold the edge of a mounted print.  That way when you change photos the thumb tacks done leave holes you can see.  I have about 60 photos of various sized displayed and people enjoy looking at them when they come over.  Hey, I enjoy looking at my own prints too!
2016-2-5
Use props
jos.stover
lvl.1
Flight distance : 28255 ft
Netherlands

I've made prints on A4 and thee look beautiful. I use
2016-2-6
Use props
jos.stover
lvl.1
Flight distance : 28255 ft
Netherlands

Okay, it is not Nikon D800 quality, the camera  I use at 'ground level ' but smaller prints are looking great! Is there anybody here who can tell  us about results on A3?
2016-2-6
Use props
Don Loftus
lvl.3

United States

Here is what my photo wall looks like.  It will clear up what I was trying to explain.  There is an overall view and a close up showing how the photos are glued to mat board, to give them some rigidity, and then the thumbtacks hold the photo to the wall.  When you remove the thumbtacks the holds do not show.  This display wall has been up about 25 years, so it hold up well.

2016-2-6
Use props
sgorstein
lvl.3
Flight distance : 7173363 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks everyone!
2016-2-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now