Can Someone Identify Program Used For These Photos?
1090 22 2016-2-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
howieal
lvl.1

I am reaching out to see if one of my fellow Phantom pilots can identify what photo editing program produced the effect used on the photos attached. I think the effect is really nice and I woud like to be able to use this with my property photos (I am a Realtor in Palm Beach Gardens, FL and it's a cold 62 degrees right now).

How To 3

How To 3

How To 8

How To 8

2016-2-11
Use props
Wolfiesden
lvl.3

United States

I am sure we all would like to know just what "effect" you refer to?
2016-2-11
Use props
daviskw2004
lvl.4
Flight distance : 12890 ft
  • >>>
United States

They are more than likely produced in Photoshop or a HDR program such as Photomatrix. It is not just one photo but many combined.

Butch
2016-2-11
Use props
nrgwise
Second Officer

United States

It looks to me like they are HDR images.  They certainly look tone mapped.  I do it for interior photos to get the look you see in the photos you posted.  Natural light, no flash, at least three - preferably five - bracketed images from a tripod.  I use either Photomatix or Topaz for the tone mapping.  Topaz generally works better on interiors.  Both can be used as stand alone apps or as plug-ins in Photoshop.
2016-2-11
Use props
daviskw2004
lvl.4
Flight distance : 12890 ft
  • >>>
United States

Check out THIS  link

Butch
2016-2-11
Use props
nrgwise
Second Officer

United States

daviskw2004 Posted at 2016-2-11 13:01
Check out THIS  link

Butch

"Many shooters resort to HDR or the use of a single on-camera flash for this type of work. While these methods are fast, they are notorious for the low-quality results that they produce, often due to incorrect colors, poor balance of strobe vs. ambient light, or lack of control with regards to shadows and highlights."

I have to disagree with this statement as it is presented.  They only produce low quality if not done correctly which many people don't bother to learn.

Other than that, good article.  He does do nice work.  Perhaps if I put the money into strobes and flashes instead of a quad or two...hmm...

2016-2-11
Use props
classicalle
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8903051 ft
  • >>>
United States

There really is no software that will do it for you. You have to use the software to do it yourself............. In other words, a technique was used in the software. It is also very time consuming to do it.
2016-2-11
Use props
howieal
lvl.1

classicalle@gma Posted at 2016-2-12 02:22
There really is no software that will do it for you. You have to use the software to do it yourself. ...

Thank you ALL for the fast replies and your thoughts. It seems clear to me that the consensus so far is that this is in the "advanced" editing category that is currently beyond my skill level.
It's amazing how the far beyond just flying the P3 the learning process can grow if you choose.
Thanks again.
Howard
2016-2-11
Use props
howieal
lvl.1

classicalle@gma Posted at 2016-2-12 02:22
There really is no software that will do it for you. You have to use the software to do it yourself. ...

Thank you ALL for the fast replies and your thoughts. It seems clear to me that the consensus so far is that this is in the "advanced" editing category that is currently beyond my skill level.
It's amazing how the far beyond just flying the P3 the learning process can grow if you choose.
Thanks again.
Howard
2016-2-11
Use props
aopisa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 430686 ft
United States

I am a professional architectural and real estate photographer. I shoot RAW (36MB)images in available light with Nikon D800 and edit them in Adobe Lightroom CC. I use a version of HDR to preserve a view out the window (important in Vermont) and give more even exposure between dark and light areas while still retaining a natural look to the photos. HDR in the wrong hands can look like, well HDR which can make a room look very unnatural.

It is very time consuming shooting and editing and a good reason for realtors to hire a pro. You have many hats to wear and adding pro level photography to them is probably not the best use of your time.

thbltdesign-809enf_web.jpg

2016-2-11
Use props
gherd
lvl.2

Don't think that edits like those are beyond your skills.  I have used Topaz and Photomatrix.  You can get as down and dirty as you like but, Topaz allows you to select a group of effects and render your photo with each of the effects results on one screen.  This lets you get a good idea of what each does.  You can then select the one you like and further adjust settings.  You can do some pretty amazing things in a short period of time...
r_History Lesson.jpg
2016-2-11
Use props
Riley-NZL
lvl.3

New Zealand

Without having the original to compare to, there isn't really any way to tell. We can make some educated guesses,  like that these are clearly taken on DSLR with a good dynamic range, and has had the shadows brightened, the highlights darkened, or as  mentioned by others, is an HDR from multiple shoots. With the dynamic range of modern full frame DSLR's though, this could quite easily be a single image.

They have also probably spent a good amount of time correcting image distortion (profiles in most good photo editing programs will ao a lot of this work for you), as wide angle lenses tend end up with not very straight lines.

A lot of what makes these images good, isn't the photography itself, but the scene. Having a good clean image to start with, and picking the right time of the say for the best lighting helps a lot. Also note they have turned all the lighting on the house to give it a warm live in look, and to try even out the brightness inside vs the brightness outside.

I've only done interior shots once, and was surprised just how hard it was, one of the hardest things is keeping yourself out of reflections, and your shadow out of photos:
Riley-8333.jpg

Riley-8450.jpg

Riley-8455.jpg
2016-2-11
Use props
aopisa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 430686 ft
United States

Riley-NZL Posted at 2016-2-11 14:58
Without having the original to compare to, there isn't really any way to tell. We can make some educ ...

Here is an original vs. the final edited image. As the finished product is a composite of several exposures, I just chose one that was not too dark. There are a lot of adjustments here including white balance to compensate for the warmth of the lighting.

While highly subjective, my approach is to try to come close to the scene as I saw it when I was standing behind the camera. I am not trying to create something that was not there.

Even today's cameras are quite crude compared to what the eye/brain can interpret. We can see what is going on outside as well as inside with "perfect exposure". We may be coming close to the point where the dynamice range gets close enough to produce a good reslut in a single image. We can cut through confusing clutter to make sense of an image overall. For example, a homeowner may want a shot of the river through a forest of trees. For us we can clearly discern the river from the trees. The camera just sees mainly a bunch of trees. And of course being able to do it in three dimensions helps a lot too.

And now we return you to your regularly scheduled drone program.

thbltdesign-807_web.jpg
thbltdesign-809enf_web.jpg
2016-2-11
Use props
Riley-NZL
lvl.3

New Zealand

aopisa Posted at 2016-2-12 04:36
Here is an original vs. the final edited image. As the finished product is a composite of several e ...

Nice, but I doubt we will get originals of the photos the OP posted.

And I was wondering myself why this is in an Drone forum
2016-2-11
Use props
dacofty
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1061345 ft
  • >>>
United States

Riley-NZL Posted at 2016-2-11 14:58
Without having the original to compare to, there isn't really any way to tell. We can make some educ ...

Riley did you take these? If so great work
2016-2-11
Use props
Riley-NZL
lvl.3

New Zealand

dacofty Posted at 2016-2-12 06:56
Riley did you take these? If so great work

Thanks, it was for an first time interior designer, they only had one room to play with. Probably took 150 shots and only ended up with 4-5 that I was happy with.
2016-2-11
Use props
SVTRay
lvl.3

United States

howieal@gmail.c Posted at 2016-2-12 02:53
Thank you ALL for the fast replies and your thoughts. It seems clear to me that the consensus so f ...

It's either HDR or multiple flash/strobes.

A lot of people shooting real estate such as this use HDR since it's the easiest and most cost efficient. The alternative is using strobes or flashes and remote activating them by what what call triggers. Triggers alone can run $300+ each and you need one for each device including the camera. Flash and strobes can easily cost the same or more each. One trigger attaches to the hotshoe on top of your camera. Once you pull press the shutter, instead of a flash off the camera, the trigger send a remote signal to the flash/strobe units hidden around the room. These flashes help over power the outside abeyant light creating an image that you and I see with our own eyes. Isn't the human eye amazing??

HDR is far cheaper and easier than you think to do.

-Camera that can take bracket shots (increasingly more popular and common)
-Tripod
-Photomatic software ($100~)

Mount camera to tripod > Select bracket on camera> take photos > upload them to Photomatix > wait 1-2 minutes > select option (real like or artistic) > save to file folder > your done.

There is a hair more to it than that but that is the basics of it.

FYI: Bracket image means the camera will take multiple images at different exposures.

***Warning, don't forget to deselect the bracketing feature on your camera afterwards***

Or you will be out here the next day asking us why is every other photo you take over or under exposed ...its a rookie mistake that happens to us all lol Oh and I strongly suggest shooting in RAW!!
2016-2-11
Use props
RodB
lvl.2

Australia

SVTRay Posted at 2016-2-12 14:20
It's either HDR or multiple flash/strobes.

A lot of people shooting real estate such as this use ...

You can get a very similar result with light painting ,  take a single picture make multiple copies in PS and then alter exposure and lighting on each copy , then with masking between layers you can paint in the light wherever you want it , its a way of cheating special lighting and bracketed shots from just a single image and the results can be amazing .
2016-2-12
Use props
SVTRay
lvl.3

United States

RodB Posted at 2016-2-12 21:21
You can get a very similar result with light painting ,  take a single picture make multiple copie ...

How interesting. I've used light painting before but at night time. I don't normally do real estate photography but I may have to try this out.

Thanks.
2016-2-12
Use props
mike.wildlight
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5623 ft
Australia

RodB Posted at 2016-2-12 23:21
You can get a very similar result with light painting ,  take a single picture make multiple copie ...

Not true "light painting" more "exposure layering"
2016-2-12
Use props
mike.wildlight
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5623 ft
Australia

SVTRay Posted at 2016-2-13 10:03
How interesting. I've used light painting before but at night time. I don't normally do real estat ...

Aaron Jones a true master of light painting...

Aaron Jones
2016-2-12
Use props
SVTRay
lvl.3

United States

mike.wildlight Posted at 2016-2-13 08:32
Aaron Jones a true master of light painting...

Aaron Jones

Wow, thats some cool stuff! I'm gonna have to try it!

Thanks
2016-2-12
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Please.  It isn't Photomatrix.  It is Photomatix.
2016-2-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules