Dji Phantom 3 battery issues
4249 17 2016-2-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
arock387
lvl.2

United States

I JUST got my phantom 3 today.  Waited so long to order it, then had an insane shipping time due to FedEx issues.  Finally i get it.  I set it up, plug the battery in to charge up.  I notice that the LED1 is blinking three times per second and the red power button is only red while its blinking.  I think nothing of it as I get to the user manuals and go about spining the propellers on.  Im reading the battery guides and from what im reading the blinking doesnt seem right.  

I unplug it, fiddle with it a bit.  And plug it back in thinking maybe its just really low and needs a bit to maybe warm up.  Four hours later and nothing.  Ive tried all types of stuff.  The only way I can get the red light to stay solid and LED1 to continiously blink is to
-tap power button and hold for a sec, then all the LEDs fill up
-then hit it again for a second.  now the power button and LED are solid, but only stay on for about 3 seconds.  If i can manage to plug the adapter into the battery within the three seconds it stays solid than it will seemingly charge.....for about 15 min then go back to LED1 blinking three times per second

Im trying to do a live chat.  which has been terrible to say the least.  They say hello, I begin to explain my situation.  then they never respond... ever.  Its like they see its a battery issue and just walk away from the computer never to return

Edit: chatted with customer service, they think it needs repairs... Wonderful.  that means I have about two weeks till I can fly.

2016-2-11
Use props
mcphipps900
lvl.3

United States

The battery or the charger or both?
2016-2-11
Use props
arock387
lvl.2

United States

They didn't state.  I cannot call yet as they are closed.  Would it be quicker to send them an email or give them a call.  I would assume giving them a call would be more effective.  I'm just super bummed that I am having this issue.  Ive never received defective stuff before from anyone.  First order from DJI and its defective...
2016-2-11
Use props
mcphipps900
lvl.3

United States

Hopefully you will not get the "great customer service" some of the others have got here.
Yes that was derogatory remark, from users here that have had issues with customer service.
Where do you live?
I am in Indiana

Mike
2016-2-11
Use props
arock387
lvl.2

United States

I'm in Vermont.  The opposite side of the country.  Has CS really been a nightmare to a lot of users?
Is there a way to test to see if its the charger or the battery?  The controller seems to be charging okay
2016-2-11
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

When you plug the battery into the charger, if it is pretty flat, then the first green LED will flash at you. As it charges the battery, the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th LEDs will progressively light up. As each one lights up, it also flashes. There is also a dull red glow from the red button LED, but not bright. This is normal.

When the battery has finished charging, all the lights go out to say it is finished charging. If you then press the button briefly, all 4 green LEDs should light up steadily, then go out after a few seconds. This indicates the battery is fully charged. If a lesser number of LEDs come one, this is a rough indication of the charge on the battery, each LED represent approximately 25% charge.

To switch the battery on, briefly press the power button and release it, then press and hold it while the 4 green LEDs march on from left to right. Release the button and it is now switched on.

The red LED under the power button should not normally be fully illuminated, otherwise it indicates a battery fault. So, if it is not coming on, then it probably means all is OK.

If any of these stages is not happening, let us know.

2016-2-11
Use props
mcphipps900
lvl.3

United States

arock387@gmail. Posted at 2016-2-12 11:26
I'm in Vermont.  The opposite side of the country.  Has CS really been a nightmare to a lot of users ...

Geebax is right.
Let us know what you have to do.
There is a good possibilty that if you have to send both charger and batter back to DJI maybe, just maybe they may just send you a new one instead.
If not, keep us posted about the status. I may be able to help you out until you get yours back. Don't want you to miss out on any of the fun.
Lets see what happens.

Mike
2016-2-12
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Where did you buy it? I am close to you and it has been very cold. Did you let the battery come to room temp before charging? I doubt that there is anything wrong with the charger, you can check the output with a voltmeter.
2016-2-12
Use props
arock387
lvl.2

United States

@Geebax.  When I press the power button on the battery It just flashes LED1 (furthest from the power button) about six times then stops.  The battery is not cold, nor hot. its room temperature and it still wont charge.  Tried it again this morning after letting it sit overnight in a warmer part of the house (thought maybe it was SO cold from shipping it would need a while).  So now its a solid room temp and still no charging.  Its definitely dead.  and I'm definitely missing out on all the fun.  

@Rodger.  Bought it from the DJi store, they shipped it from California.

another question.  on the gimbal there are those four white grommet type springs.  Only two of them have the plastic stability piece through them.  Two more are in the accessories box but is that supposed to be that way are should all 4 white grommets have the plastic piece

Im tempted to order a new battery and possible the better charger.  I feel like this warranty stuff will take a long time.  Hopefully its like my job where when we warrantie we send the customer the item first then they send the old one back. (AT&T) that way the customer gets a working device before they send in their flawed device
2016-2-12
Use props
mcphipps900
lvl.3

United States

another question.  on the gimbal there are those four white grommet type springs.  Only two of them have the plastic stability piece through them.  Two more are in the accessories box but is that supposed to be that way are should all 4 white grommets have the plastic piece

Nope. All you need is two.
The ones that are in box a spares.
2016-2-12
Use props
arock387
lvl.2

United States

mcphipps900 Posted at 2016-2-12 08:23
another question.  on the gimbal there are those four white grommet type springs.  Only two of them  ...

Haha okay.  Awesome.   Hopefully the only thing I have defective is the battery.  I know if I order a new one and charger though the lady is going to kill me.  I already had to smooth over me ordering this monster in the first place haha

Edit:  Also i can confirm that the charger is charging the controller just fine.  Went to bed so i did not let it finish but I have the controller on the charger again and its up to 4 lights now, almost done.  SO maybe it is just the battery
2016-2-12
Use props
mrv8outboard
lvl.2
United States

Check to make sure the connector is fully seated into the battery. I had a hard time plugging it in the first time. Now it is fine. But it has to be seated .
2016-2-12
Use props
teedo757
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1870 ft
United States

rodger Posted at 2016-2-12 08:02
Where did you buy it? I am close to you and it has been very cold. Did you let the battery come to r ...

I always buy mine from Amazon so if there is an issue I can get a quick return, plus with prime shipping I get it in 2 days.
2016-2-12
Use props
arock387
lvl.2

United States

Yeah, Its been fully seated everytime.  and yes its plugged into a surge protector (as stated in the guide not  plug directly into a wall
2016-2-12
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Have you plugged the battery in the aircraft and powered everything on and see what the battery level says.
2016-2-12
Use props
arock387
lvl.2

United States

The battery doesn't ever seem to really power on.  Today I drove an hour and 15 min to the closest best buy that had one in stock and this battery is working perfectly fine. I can definitively say that I received a DOA battery with my Phantom 3 Advanced.  I have an email in but have not heard back yet.  Only sent it in this morning.
2016-2-12
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

teedo757 Posted at 2016-2-12 08:44
I always buy mine from Amazon so if there is an issue I can get a quick return, plus with prime sh ...

Why not return it to Amazon then?
2016-2-13
Use props
Wayne1
New

United States

A friend just had the same thing, brand new, I helped set up, furthest green light flashes 3 times and red stays solid. Nothing more. I tried my charger and does same thing. His charger charges mine fine. I'm going with a DOA battery.
2016-5-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules