Manual Landing - What happens if...
776 7 2016-2-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
TheElbenreich
New

Switzerland

Hi,

I am asking this questions here since I could not find an answer to this and trying it out could be a little expensive experiement

What happens if the drone is at a high altitute (lets say 100m) and I put the left stick all the way down. Is it going to lower as fast as possible or is it going to shut off the rotors?? (I hope so not)

I know the drone is quite smart, so I guess that its safe to do, just wanted to make REALLY sure

Greetings
Jan

2016-2-14
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Your Phantom would descend at 3 m/s until it could descend no further (because it landed) then 3 secs later the motors will shut off.
DJI design engineers aren't stupid.
PS ... ease up on the stick when you are getting close to the ground rather than slamming down at 3 m/s, then hold the stick full down after you have landed.
2016-2-14
Use props
terrylewis
First Officer
Flight distance : 3517287 ft
  • >>>
United States

The ONLY command that will shutdown the motors in an emergency is the CSC (including an inflight emergency):

OR you run the battery out of electrons....
2016-2-14
Use props
TheElbenreich
New

Switzerland

Thanks! That answers my question
2016-2-14
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

yeah, full throttle down is not going to turn off the motors while in the air
2016-2-15
Use props
dcarter0001
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3862 ft
United States

This rate of decending could put it in the Vortex Ring state and pushing up on the stick at this point would not stop it from impacting the ground hard.
2016-2-15
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

dcarter0001 Posted at 2016-2-16 07:32
This rate of decending could put it in the Vortex Ring state and pushing up on the stick at this poi ...

Not as likely these days, DJI has limited the maximum descent speed to avoid this.
2016-2-15
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

dcarter0001 Posted at 2016-2-16 07:32
This rate of decending could put it in the Vortex Ring state and pushing up on the stick at this poi ...

DJI design engineers are pretty smart and they aren't that stupid.
They limited the P2 to 2 m/s descent speed for this reason but increased the P3's descent speed by 50% because it has offset motors that are a big help in stabilising descent.

Unless you lumber your Phantom with prop guards, it's perfectly safe to descend at max speed.
2016-2-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules