Follow me Mode
2772 16 2016-2-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
stegates
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Morning Guys

Looking at the tutorial for the follow me mode, once its set can you just place the phone/ipad in your pocket and the drone will follow you  or do you have to have the controller on you as well ? seems difficult to use it if you have to have the full controller on you !! was hoping i could use it with someone carrying the phone...

Steve
2016-2-26
Use props
Bhujang
lvl.4
Flight distance : 534587 ft
United Kingdom

It really is unclear ground. It is recommended that the controller is still manned but yes as long as the phone maintains a gps signal the p3 should follow the phone running the go app. Well that's my understanding. Maybe I'm wrong lol
2016-2-26
Use props
Nicola90s
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3060869 ft
Italy

The follow me mode work only with remote controller plus mobile device with GPS module, so once you activated it you also need to keep mobile device and remote controller connected with cable
2016-2-26
Use props
arock387
lvl.2

United States

DJI should make some sort of puck you could use for the follow me.  A side accessory so it can act like a lily.  Or... is the lily a stronger follow me style drone
2016-2-26
Use props
Nicola90s
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3060869 ft
Italy

arock387@gmail. Posted at 2016-2-26 16:25
DJI should make some sort of puck you could use for the follow me.  A side accessory so it can act l ...

Yes, this is great idea!
2016-2-26
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nicola90s Posted at 2016-2-26 13:15
Yes, this is great idea!

It is a nice idea, but currently you have to have your GPS enabled  device and the controller with you for follow me mode to work.
2016-2-26
Use props
FailureEngineer
lvl.1

United States

Would be awesome if Follow Me mode worked with the Apple Watch as the beacon.
2016-2-26
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

FailureEngineer Posted at 2016-2-27 09:01
Would be awesome if Follow Me mode worked with the Apple Watch as the beacon.

Not really possible, the Apple Watch has no GPS receiver, it uses the one in your phone, and even that is very ordinary.

The Follow Me mode relies on the phone or tablet attached to your RC unit to obtain a GPS location of where you are, which it transmits to the aircraft so it can follow you. So you must have both the RC unit and the phone/tablet with you while you are moving. In addition, GPS reception can be very patchy so you don't want to put the RC/phone/tablet in a car or in your pocket while moving, otherwise the aircraft may lose you. And the GPS reception in the phone/tablet is nowhere near as good as that in the aircraft. The aircraft GPS receiver is purposely designed for the job, can receive US and Russian satellites and has a decent antenna. Your phone/tablet GPS receiver is a huge compromise and therefore you need to keep it out in the open if Follow Me is going to work as you expect..
2016-2-26
Use props
anandharaj
lvl.2
Flight distance : 55184 ft
Malaysia

How good if the remote itself have GPS module so we dont depends on phone's GPS. Based on my experience, the phone's GPS is not fast enough to lock location and always lost GPS signal.
2016-2-26
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

anandharaj Posted at 2016-2-27 13:28
How good if the remote itself have GPS module so we dont depends on phone's GPS. Based on my experie ...
It probably would not work that well, as you usually have a phone or tablet on top of the RC unit, thus partially blocking reception.

A better method is to use a Garmin GPS and tether it to your phone. That way you get a much better GPS receiver.
2016-2-26
Use props
endotherm
First Officer
Flight distance : 503241 ft

Australia

Geebax Posted at 2016-2-27 13:54
It probably would not work that well, as you usually have a phone or tablet on top of the RC unit, t ...

I agree. I bought a cheaper wifi-only iPad mini WITHOUT cellular/GPS.  It works fine for everything except follow me.  However, you can buy external GPS receivers and tether them via bluetooth.  For IOS at least they need to be WAAS enabled and not just a cheapie GPS unit.   They are typically used inside real aircraft by pilots as even the built-in units on iPads etc don't work inside a plane. I use a Garmin GLO unit myself, it is smaller than a cigarette pack.  Once paired, I tested it by putting the remote controller on the ground and walked off while holding the GPS unit.  The aircraft followed me without any problems, out of shot of the controller.  I didn't go any great distance, and I'm not sure what the range would be, as it is a bluetooth (short range) signal and still has to tether the GPS and RC.  I think it is currently 10m/30ft but bluetooth 4.0 is expected to be 4 times that.

Another advantage is that the external units also have GPS/GLONASS satellite coverage, and update the location more frequently than the internal GPS.
2016-2-27
Use props
mjlstudios
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1540131 ft
  • >>>
United States

The Litchi app. will allow you to just carry your mobile device with you if the Litchi Magic Leash is installed on the mobile device. I have used them and they work just fine.
2016-2-27
Use props
Bhujang
lvl.4
Flight distance : 534587 ft
United Kingdom

mjlstudios@yaho Posted at 2016-2-27 12:04
The Litchi app. will allow you to just carry your mobile device with you if the Litchi Magic Leash i ...

That's the one I heard about where you just use the phone with gps. Still advisable to have the controller manned though ;)
2016-2-27
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

mjlstudios@yaho Posted at 2016-2-27 23:04
The Litchi app. will allow you to just carry your mobile device with you if the Litchi Magic Leash i ...

It appears that Magic Leash does connect two devices, and probably via the cellular service. So it means it should work wherevever you can obtain cellular service. Someone else may know more.
2016-2-27
Use props
LordNeo
lvl.3
Flight distance : 548212 ft
Chile

Yes, it uses GPS+3g for the connection. Still is a very good option, as it follows correctly and you can still manouver to get closer, avoid obstacles.
2016-2-27
Use props
lido_bmt
lvl.2
Flight distance : 87772 ft
Philippines

I use Autopilot, and it can follow multiple devices provided they're in the same Airspace (basically a network), including OTHER drones. You can use any normal device as well – iPads, iPhones, etc. Autopilot will also support non-GPS devices provided you hook up an external GPS device to it, such as a bluetooth GPS module. Airspace works in either ad-hoc mode (no external connectivity, basically peer-to-peer with the local devices) or network mode (all information is shared between devices via the internet, requires all devices to have internet access obviously).
2016-2-29
Use props
alpinekiwi
lvl.2
Flight distance : 54803 ft
France

Ah! So this is why my Follow Me didn't work the other day? My iPhone 6 is usually in Airplane Mode when I fly my drone to avoid phone calls interrupting...
2016-3-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules