Zebra Lines
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fishhook240
New

United States

Hello Everyone:

I got a P3A and a few days back I updated to the new all in one firmware and all's good except:  I am now getting zebra lines on my live feed from the copter to the tablet. Doesn't seem to matter whether recording or not.  When I do record a movie or take a picture and review on my computer the lines are not there.  Wondering has anybody else has had this happen to them.  When I say zebra lines, it is not on the whole screen but just on parts of the screen which changes as the copter flies alone.

Thanks  for any help!!

Fishhook240
2016-2-29
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
Flight distance : 518084 ft
United Kingdom

It's an over exposure warning.  Everything covered in zebra lines will be over exposed & record as white.  You can turn it off if you don't want it in the camera menu.
2016-2-29
Use props
Dr. Acula
lvl.2

To expand, you will only see the zebra stripes on the phone/tablet live view, not on the recorded video/photos.  Anywhere you see the zebra lines will be washed out (mostly/all white) when you review the recorded video/photos.  Use the camera settings in the app, and the exposure wheel on the upper right side of the controller to minimize the zebra stripes and your video will look much better.
2016-2-29
Use props
fishhook240
New

United States

Dr. Acula Posted at 2016-2-29 14:34
To expand, you will only see the zebra stripes on the phone/tablet live view, not on the recorded vi ...

I will try that.  Make sense too me, I'm not a camera bug but learning

Thanks again for the answers
2016-2-29
Use props
Dr. Acula
lvl.2

I wasn't a camera enthusiast either, but I'm learning manual mode and ISO/shutter to get good shots with the P3A!  My latest purchase is some ND filters (sort of like sunglasses for the lens), because apparently the P3 camera gets overwhelmed by the sun no matter what the settings.

2016-2-29
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
Flight distance : 518084 ft
United Kingdom

Dr. Acula Posted at 2016-2-29 21:17
I wasn't a camera enthusiast either, but I'm learning manual mode and ISO/shutter to get good shots  ...

The camera is fine in any sunlight & not overwhelmed unless you're trying to take a photo of the sun itself at midday.  The brighter the better for stills photography image quality.

The primary reason for the ND filters is to slow the shutter speed during filming to get a more natural look to video.  The ideal shutter speed (for video) is double the frame rate, so at 60 fps you'd be aiming for 1/125 sec shutter speed, which is difficult to get in sunlight without aperture adjustment.

Saying that, they can be useful for long exposure effects when taking stills.
2016-2-29
Use props
Dr. Acula
lvl.2

United States

Maybe I was missing a setting but I was flying about 11AM near a small town and every setting I tried still resulted in zebra stripes on some white buildings nearby.  I will keep practicing.
2016-2-29
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

Dr. Acula Posted at 2016-3-1 10:05
Maybe I was missing a setting but I was flying about 11AM near a small town and every setting I trie ...

The dial on the top right will adjust the exposure, you can turn the dial in either direction to get the right exposure.To turn them off, tap the menu button on the right side and then tap the wrench and it's the "over exposure warning"
2016-2-29
Use props
Dr. Acula
lvl.2

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-3-1 10:51
The dial on the top right will adjust the exposure, you can turn the dial in either direction to ge ...

Yep I was using the dial, I could never totally eliminate the zebra stripes on the white buildings.  I am still learning and may have missed a setting somewhere though, and will try a hood and ND filters as well.

2016-2-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules