Range severly limited after firmware update
1852 14 2016-3-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
chrismillerjunk
lvl.1

United States

Greetings.  I bought the phantom 3 standard in the first week of February.  Didnt think to check firmware or anything so I dont know what version it was running,  I just took it out of the box charged it and went flying.  Took it out flying....awesome.  I didnt push it too far as I am new to the 3 (i used to have a phantom 1) but got at least 1200 feet distance and had the transmitter intact and decent video feed.

I did a firmware upgrade about 2 weeks ago to 3.1.50  and now I can barely get 250 feet before both video feed and TX cut out!  this is simply unacceptable and renders my phantom practically useless.  I am new to all the forums and searching for answers and it seems like there are others with this problem but no solution.  People are posting tin foil hacks but I should not be forced to do some tin foil hack to boost the tx distance when all I can get is 250 feet and the specs say it should be about 1km without hacks.  I am not comfortable opening up the TX and soldering stuff, I dont want to void any warranty, and again I should not have to gut my tx or by special aftermarket apps  where I can not even get anything close to standard specs.  Meanwhile other people post that they are getting 2 miles on their standard and look at us like we are doing something wrong.  I am jealous.  

Further aggravating is the fact that DJI's own website says the latest firmware is 1.3.0050 as of 12/22/15.  That is nowhere near 3.1.5.0!  Does DJI not even update their own website anymore to provide proper release notes?  My impression of DJI back from my Phantom 1 days was that they are the pioneers and innovaters here and on top of their game.  Is that no longer so? I have searched around and can not find any detailed data about previous firmwares.  Arent there supposed to be wikis about this stuff?  It doesnt appear to be a legitimate way to downgrade the firmware unless you are a hacker.   Can someone just admit that this is a known problem and working on it?   

This is so frustrating being in the dark.  I am going on vacation in 3 weeks and doubt I will have a solution before then.  
2016-3-10
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

Take it back Chris, not worth the headache .  I posted this on another thread want to make sure you see it:

Chris  if you can return it I would.  No -one ever seems happy with the Standard and I think the Advance and Pro are reasonably priced right Now.  It is not worth the headache with the standard .  If you can return it still ,  do so and get the Advanced or Pro.  You will love it.  You probably are ready for the Advanced or Pro by now anyway.  Let me know if you get one  and I will help you with the updates.  ( Just a few hints and tips that will make it a breeeze )

I saw your other Post, but I have no good  answers for you other than to send it in for repair.  Not worth it , just upgrade.

Cheers - Donnie
donaldjames1990@gmail.com                        if you need help with Phantom Advanced or Pro.
2016-3-10
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm sorry you are having issues, if you said you updated your Phantom Standard a few weeks ago then you updated it to 1.3.0050.
1.3.0050 is the only update that the Standard has ever had.
And if your range is only getting 250ft then it may be an issue and needs to be sent in and looked at.
And no one with a stock Standard is getting 2 miles, the range is a little over 1/2 mile.
2016-3-10
Use props
chrismillerjunk
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-3-11 00:50
I'm sorry you are having issues, if you said you updated your Phantom Standard a few weeks ago then  ...

As I said, I leave for vacation in 3 weeks.  I doubt it would be enough time to pay shipping to send in, have it looked at and maybe nothing happens, have it sent back and then I turn it on and find out nothing is fixed only to lead to no use on vacation and many more months of headaches and wasted money on shipping back and forth.  I would rather just return it and upgrade to the Advanced version.  I have a ticket submitted already.  I bought it at Best buy.  I am not sure there warranty, it is barely a month old.  How do I go about returning it?
2016-3-10
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

chrismillerjunk Posted at 2016-3-11 01:22
As I said, I leave for vacation in 3 weeks.  I doubt it would be enough time to pay shipping to se ...

Best Buy returns on electronics is 14 days.
Shipping both ways is paid for by DJI. repair times are 1-2 weeks so I think since you submitted a ticket already it may take up to a few days to get the shipping label. I can at least make sure you get the label today and I think there's a good chance you would have it back before you leave for vacation.
What is the ticket#
2016-3-10
Use props
marlonlopez15
lvl.1

United States

Im in love with my standard, flying more than 250 feet  
2016-3-10
Use props
chrismillerjunk
lvl.1

United States

268161 is the ticket numbers. Thanks
2016-3-10
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

chrismillerjunk Posted at 2016-3-11 02:02
268161 is the ticket numbers. Thanks

I'm looking at your ticket and it can only be a repair.
There is no return and upgrade to the Advanced option available.
Even it it was in the return/exchange 7/15 days you would have to wait for a refund to your Paypal account and have to reorder from DJI.com again.
So do you still want me to get you a shipping label today?
2016-3-10
Use props
chrismillerjunk
lvl.1

United States

Yes please
2016-3-10
Use props
microcyb
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1095955 ft
United States

Hacker here! Yes to get 2 miles on a standard you have to make some changes.

I know this topic seems to be a re-post  (swear I was just commenting before), but here are some suggestions you might try that maybe might help you.

Make sure your controller and the Phantom 3 batteries are fully changed.

Insure you have all apps closed on your phone.

Within your DJI Go app while flying, watch the signal bars and see if they are going down when you attempt to fly.
If so, try to adjust your antenna to point vertically and insure you and your controller are facing in the direct of your bird.

If you do not know already (DJI-Ken will point out) make sure you have a clear light of sight (LOS) between you and your bird.  Buildings, metal, tress, etc., and other WiFi signals can cause interference and limit your range.

When you go to perform your lift off, turn on the controller first, connect to your Phantom Wifi, start the DJI Go app, turn on your bird, connect, calibrate, then set your bird down.  Walk about 15 feet away and allow the GPS and everything to acquire until you hear "home point has been updated".

Lift off and hover for a minute.  lift up to about 150 feet (45 meters) and fly in a straight line (LOS).

How far are you able to fly away?

2016-3-10
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

You were just sent another form requesting info from you.
When you get that sent back in, I'll make sure you get a shipping label.
2016-3-10
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

microcyb Posted at 2016-3-11 02:28
Hacker here! Yes to get 2 miles on a standard you have to make some changes.

I know this topic seem ...

He can only get 250ft.
Also see if this video helps. (yes, here's the video again )

2016-3-10
Use props
microcyb
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1095955 ft
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-3-10 13:50
He can only get 250ft.
Also see if this video helps. (yes, here's the video again  )

Oh gawd, NO!!!!!
2016-3-10
Use props
chrismillerjunk
lvl.1

United States

I appreciate the help, I know you have to go through the standard recommendations first which seem basic, but yes I have covered those bases.  Although I am new to the 3  this is not my first rendezvous with transmitters and video feed
2016-3-10
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

chrismillerjunk Posted at 2016-3-11 04:09
I appreciate the help, I know you have to go through the standard recommendations first which seem b ...

Your shipping is being sent to you right now.
2016-3-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules