Please Help!
1364 20 2015-1-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
viper46664
lvl.1

United States

Ok so I just got a phantom 2.  I am very familiar as I have one already.  I took it out of the box, and calibrated the compass.  I went to fly it for the 1st time, and it just tips over.  I tried mulitple times and even tried to have someone hold it while I took off and it still wanted to tip over.  So I updated the firmware on both the phantom and remote.  I tried again this time not in GPS mode and it flew fine.  I then re calibrated the compass and tried to fly in GPS mode again.  The same thing happened, it just tips over and will not fly.  If anyone knows why that would be great.  THanks
2015-1-10
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

how many satellites are locked when you are in gps mode?
2015-1-10
Use props
viper46664
lvl.1

United States

less than 5.  It is actually having a hard time getting a GPS signal.  I had to calibrate the compass 5 times before I actually got it.  Do you think that is why it won't fly in GPS mode?
2015-1-10
Use props
trrdesign
lvl.2

United States

Funny, same thing happened to me.  Went through everything and went to fly.  Rotors are on and no lift what so ever.  It tipped over once.  Went back re calibrated everything, went back to try and one motor locked up.  The hold down on the pin jambed up in the motor.

Trying to get a hold of US Hobby for a return and repair.
2015-1-10
Use props
coraldragon
New

United States

Have you calibrated your remote? I was having this issue and discovered the remote calibration was off from the factory
2015-1-10
Use props
viper46664
lvl.1

United States

I did the update on the remote. Not sure how to calibrate it.
2015-1-10
Use props
tonyphantom147
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Recalibrate RC.  Done.! Oh, calibrate IMU while your at it.
2015-1-10
Use props
viper46664
lvl.1

United States

Ok I hooked up to RC assistant and calibrated the remote.  Still falls over on take off.  Any other ideas.  This unit is brand new never flown.  I noticed that 3 of the motors spin really smooth and 1 feels different.  Could this be an issue?
2015-1-10
Use props
knarfboy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 494508 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Call customer support or your dealer and ask him for warranty repair.
2015-1-10
Use props
markus2015
lvl.4

Germany

viper46664@comc Posted at 2015-1-11 06:35
Ok I hooked up to RC assistant and calibrated the remote.  Still falls over on take off.  Any other  ...

When the phantom is power off and you turn the motors, they should all feel the same. If one blocks or scrached on the body shell a bit that is an explanation why your phantom tips over on take off. But it does not explain why it takes off perfectly in non GPS mode.

Please report back after advanced callibration of the IMU and test take off again.
2015-1-10
Use props
viper46664
lvl.1

United States

Im not sure what advanced calibration of the IMU is
2015-1-10
Use props
viper46664
lvl.1

United States

Ok I looked up how to calibrate the IMU.  I completed the IMU calibration and it still tips over
2015-1-10
Use props
markus2015
lvl.4

Germany

Does it always tip to the same direction. Perhaps a bad ESC.
I think its's best to contact the place of purchase for repair.
esc.jpg
2015-1-10
Use props
viper46664
lvl.1

United States

yes it always tips in the same direction
2015-1-10
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

viper46664@comc Posted at 2015-1-11 07:38
yes it always tips in the same direction

What direction does it tip and are you trying to take off when it tips?
2015-1-10
Use props
jmtw000
lvl.3

United States

The number of satellites has nothing to do with it tipping over at take off. Make sure that the controller is in mode 2. If it's in mode 1 the pitch/roll will be on the left stick. So, when you think you're giving it throttle you're actually telling it to pitch forward.
2015-1-10
Use props
markus2015
lvl.4

Germany

jmtw000 Posted at 2015-1-11 07:45
The number of satellites has nothing to do with it tipping over at take off. Make sure that the cont ...

But he mentioned that it takes off fine in non GPS mode. Doesn't make sence though. GPS or non GPS mode has nothing to do with tipping over at take off.
2015-1-10
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

that is exactly why i asked.  if working in gps and not otherwise, what IF if it misinterpreting (some flaw in data) gps info.  it could be wanting to 'move sideways' (which when not enough lift under all props yet WILL result in tipping).  it is the exact same reason that you can tip between 'idle' and 'CSC' if you dont do it fast enough.  
2015-1-10
Use props
viper46664
lvl.1

United States

Ok here is an update.  Just for the hell of it I tried again in GPS mode.  I had it on the kitchen table and slowly gave it throttle.  it started to lift straight up.  SO I go outside to really test it, and it takes off right this time.  I only went up 20 feet then landed.  Tried to take off again and it tipped.  The 1 motor that felt slightly different barely spins now.  Seems to me that the motor is bad.  I will try replacing the motor and ESC.  Thanks for all the help
2015-1-10
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

yes, the gps correlation must have just been random coincidence.  sounds like faulty motor/parts.
2015-1-10
Use props
viper46664
lvl.1

United States

Update.  I replaced the motor that was locked up.  I didn't replace the esc though just the motor.  I went to fly and it took off fine.  I just went up then down real quick because it was freezing outside the other day.  Well today is nice out and went out to fly and it just tipped over again.  WTF.  Could it be the ESC working sometimes and not other times?  Really getting frustrated
2015-1-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules