lightbridge info
927 2 2016-3-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
leekellyoz
New

Australia

Please excuse me for not being an owner of any DJI products, yet but I wanted to touch base here first to get some info from the people who use these products not sell them.

I was looking at info about lightbridge and hoping you guys might be able to offer some advice or answer some questions.

From what I understand, lightbridge is the little unit that transmits a video feed from your bird to controller.

Is there a way to use lightbridge in a completely different fashion, like as a wireless video transmitter on a land based camera, lets say a 5d or similar?

Ideally I want to easily power the transmitter, plug in a video signal via HDMI and have it transmit wirelessly to my monitor a couple of hundred metres away.

I know the success of these transmissions likely has a lot to do with the fact the transmitter is up in the air with limited obstructions between transmitter and receiver, allowing a nice clear line of sight. How would it go down on land, with several obstructions breaking up the line of sight? If it claims to transmit 5km in perfect conditions, would you expect to get 500m in less than ideal conditions?

I hope someone can give me some nice simple to understand answers on this stuff so I can work out if this kind of use is possible or if it has to be connected to th DJI hardware and software.

Thanks legends.

2016-3-20
Use props
endotherm
First Officer
Flight distance : 503241 ft

Australia

Your understanding is basically correct, lightbridge is the technology, and the way it is implemented may be slightly different between models, e.g. integrated or separate, 2.4 or 5GHz.   This might explain it a bit better.  There is also a master/slave configuration described which may be what you are after.

The quality of the transmission will vary depending on surrounding interference, weather conditions, obstructions, reflections etc.  It will hop frequencies and alter the bitrate to cope with degraded signals.  BTW, I think the current version only outputs 720P.    I take it you want to receive the transmission and re-transmit it to a remote site.  There is an add-on module you can buy which provides HDMI out from the receiver/controller.  You could feed this to another video transmitter/receiver combo to re-broadcast to a remote location.

It's never a good idea to let the aircraft out of line of sight, or behind obstacles.  The forum is littered with posts of crashes from those that do.  Your transmissions will mostly be reflections and it will be pot luck as to the quality.

Hope that helps a bit, I'm no expert.
2016-3-20
Use props
leekellyoz
New

Australia

Thanks for the reply,

I was doing a search and found there were several people trying to get similar info.

Lightbridge 2 looks like the way to go.

I would assume users of Ronin gimbals for handheld camera work might use these lightbridge transmitters to send wireless video signal to monitor located nearby. I was thinking maybe with lightbridge 2, sending 720p might give you a bit more distance, as its a lower bitrate/smaller signal to send.

What stand alone power solutions are there for the transmitter unit?

2.4 vs 5ghz? Is 5ghz more powerful or is it just a different frequency?
2016-3-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules