Flying in Scotland. Need advise from native:)
1139 12 2016-3-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
lr.valitova
New

Russia

Hi! I'm going to Scotland to see highlands in April and want to take my phantom. I wonder if it is legal there or not? Will police stop me or arrest or what?) Is there anybody from UK or Scotland itself?
2016-3-24
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Nah, you will be fine, just don't go trying to look up any kilts.
2016-3-24
Use props
Toorboy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 657382 ft
United Kingdom

ha ha ha Geebax na you will be fine up the highlands lr.valitova
people will be fine iv never had any trouble flying up there
just watch for mountain rescue if flying round glencoe & ben nevis
2016-3-25
Use props
mcritchley
lvl.2
Flight distance : 359278 ft
Ireland

As in most European countries, maximum height above take off point in 120m (400ft).  Maximum distance is visual line of sight (500m).  At least 50m from people, 150m from conjested areas (villages, towns etc) and not near restricted areas. No commercial flying or flying for benefit without a licence. Okay to use over most publically owned lands (eg National Parks etc.) but need landoners permission elsewhere.  In practice it might be hard to find the landowner and flying isn't usually a problem away from buildings, livestock and people. See https://www.caa.co.uk/drones/
2016-3-25
Use props
lr.valitova
New

Russia

Geebax Posted at 2016-3-25 11:52

Haha thank you
2016-3-25
Use props
lr.valitova
New

Russia

Geebax Posted at 2016-3-25 11:52

Haha thank you
2016-3-25
Use props
P3_Nutz
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Scotland is an amazing place to fly. Can't wait to take another trip there myself with the P3. Here's a quick teaser:
2016-3-25
Use props
c.oberschneider
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 4974249 ft
  • >>>
Austria

P3_Nutz Posted at 2016-3-25 12:01
Scotland is an amazing place to fly. Can't wait to take another trip there myself with the P3. Here' ...

Wow, that's incredibly beautiful!
2016-3-25
Use props
wellsi
First Officer
Flight distance : 8330187 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

mcritchley Posted at 2016-3-25 08:19
As in most European countries, maximum height above take off point in 120m (400ft).  Maximum distanc ...

Actually, it's better than that if you have a friend observing with you; the CAA allows you to go up to 1,000 feet or around 300 metres.  There is also no regulations about flying over other people's land (just as a hot air balloon can); you just have to stay more than 50 metres away from any buildings

http://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/1108.pdf

The person in charge must not fly the SUA:
a) in  Class  A,  C,  D  or  E  airspace  unless  permission  of  the  appropriate  air  traffic  control  unit has been obtained;
b)
within  an  aerodrome  traffic  zone  during  the  notified  hours  of  watch  of  the  air  traffic control unit (if any) at that aerodrome unless permission of any such air traffic control
unit has been obtained;
c)
at a height of more than 1,000 feet above the surface (see Note 3);
d)
over or within 150 metres of any congested area;
e)
over  or  within  150  metres  of  an  organised  open-air  assembly  of  more  than  1,000  persons;
f)
within 50 metres of any vessel, vehicle or structure which is not under the control of the person in charge of the aircraft;
g)
within 50 metres of any other person, apart from the competent observer, except when taking off or landing in accordance with paragraph (h);
h)
within  30  metres  of  any  other person, apart  from  the  competent  observer, other adjacent  model  operators,  or  any  model  flying  club  members
,  during  take-off  or  landing; or
i)
for the purposes of aerial work
2016-3-25
Use props
tango5
lvl.1

Singapore

wellsi Posted at 2016-3-26 14:30
Actually, it's better than that if you have a friend observing with you; the CAA allows you to go  ...

A reminder. Don't fly near into any NFZ or else a dragon will burn your Phantom into a crisp.
2016-3-26
Use props
MistaGuitarista
lvl.1

United Kingdom

P3_Nutz Posted at 2016-3-25 12:01
Scotland is an amazing place to fly. Can't wait to take another trip there myself with the P3. Here' ...

Outstanding
2016-4-25
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

And keep an eye out for low flying jets, it's not uncommon to see them practicing low flying. But they do publish their training times, although you can never be certain where they will be. And they generally don't practice at weekends

Have a look HERE
2016-4-25
Use props
talk2t_c
lvl.4

France

A couple of things to bear in mind :  It's probably getting into nesting season so watch out for 'big' birds, eagles and the like.  Another thing to bear in mind is where you fly - in some places it will be very difficult, if not impossible to recover your bird if you should happen to go down.
Happy holiday.
ex Scotsman.
2016-4-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules