The view down into the valley
1290 14 2016-3-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
PageRunner
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Took the Phantom 3A up onto the top of Creag Choinnich which overlooks Braemar. The village sits in the valley among the hills, so this gave a great view and control point while staying clear of hazards.
2016-3-25
Use props
Elmer Fudd
lvl.4

United States

Why is the top of the hill red and why don't the trees grow up there? Thanks for the video.
2016-3-25
Use props
PageRunner
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Elmer Fudd Posted at 2016-3-25 16:10
Why is the top of the hill red and why don't the trees grow up there? Thanks for the video.

Hi Elmer, thanks for viewing. The top of the hill is nearly all heather on the rock, so it's the dark red of the heather you see. The trees struggle to attach to the rock and the winds up there get very strong.
2016-3-25
Use props
Elmer Fudd
lvl.4

United States

PageRunner Posted at 2016-3-25 12:18
Hi Elmer, thanks for viewing. The top of the hill is nearly all heather on the rock, so it's the d ...

Interesting. Thanks.
2016-3-25
Use props
CaptRuss
lvl.2

United States

Hi Page,  I am brand new to drones, to DJI and to P3Ps (I received my first drone- a quad (a P3P) just last week!), and have been reading as much as I can related thereto and about the associated videography & photography.  I have read about a characteristic called the "Jello Effect" (slight 'wobbling' of imagery as the quad progresses along its path) that is sometimes caused by utilizing a shutter speed that may be a tad too fast.  As I understand it, utilizing an ND filter of a selected density can mitigate this *to some degree* by allowing one to use a slower shutter speed, thus smoothing the effect much like anti-aliasing might address.  Your video is terrific and I enjoyed it immensely.  To my untrained eye, though, I did seem to notice a tiny bit of this quality in your great video.  Without wishing to offend you (I would be delighted to capture a video just one-tenth as great as yours), may I ask if you used an ND filter while shooting this vid., and if so, which density (ND4, ND8, etc.)?  Just trying to learn & absorb as much as I can ;) .  Thanks much for the great vid., Russ
2016-3-25
Use props
PageRunner
lvl.1

United Kingdom

CaptRuss Posted at 2016-3-25 17:08
Hi Page,  I am brand new to drones, to DJI and to P3Ps (I received my first drone- a quad (a P3P) ju ...

HI Russ, thanks for watching and an interesting question. I've only been flying drones for 3 months myself, but I've been a photographer for over 30yrs. There was no ND filter attached, although I do have one, it's more a case of weather, positioning and processing.

The Phantoms are great at compensating for movement, but there are limits. Flying at altitude leaves them open to stronger winds and and objects like buildings or rock structures alter air currents, so they get buffeted, but I suspect from your pic this is nothing new to you. Processing also seems to have an effect; if I watch the footage on one programme its smooth, on another it judders slightly, especially on iMovie, so I think post processing and conversion to internet friendly formats is having some slight effect as well. I know I've a great deal to learn yet, but it sure is fun doing so! Happy flying.
2016-3-25
Use props
CaptRuss
lvl.2

United States

PageRunner Posted at 2016-3-25 13:48
HI Russ, thanks for watching and an interesting question. I've only been flying drones for 3 month ...

"...it's more a case of...and processing...

...Flying at altitude leaves them open to stronger winds and and objects...so they get buffeted...

...Processing also seems to have an effect...on one programme its smooth, on another it judders slightly...so I think post processing and conversion to internet friendly formats is having some slight effect as well...

...Happy flying"

Thanks for the info. re: whether or not you used an ND filter.  Yours are all valid & terrific points ;) .  Happy flying & blue skies to you too.  Thanks again for the great vid, and for the peek at a beautiful locale.
2016-3-25
Use props
GoBigorGoHome
lvl.1

Looks awesome!!!
2016-3-25
Use props
FAS1
lvl.4

United States

WOW! That is really beautiful. You are blessed to around such beauty.
2016-3-25
Use props
PageRunner
lvl.1

United Kingdom

CaptRuss Posted at 2016-3-25 19:01
"...it's more a case of...and processing...

...Flying at altitude leaves them open to stronger wi ...

HI CaptRuss,

I was looking at settings over the Easter holidays and considering your comments about the Jello effect. My earlier flights were in full HD at high frame rates, well above 24/30, giving a very smooth effect. However this one was set to UHD at 2.7k and I noticed this sets at only 24 frames ps, with sunlight requiring a very high shutter speed. This potentially causes a lag that is exaggerated when processing and uploading, so I'm going back to HD and may be investing in ND filters for strong light.
Thanks for the comments and happy flying.
2016-3-31
Use props
CaptRuss
lvl.2

United States

PageRunner Posted at 2016-3-31 08:13
HI CaptRuss,

I was looking at settings over the Easter holidays and considering your comments a ...

"... so I'm going back to HD and may be investing in ND filters for strong light..."

Sounds like a plan!

"... Thanks for the comments and happy flying."

You too; have a great weekend-  Russ
2016-3-31
Use props
GM01
lvl.2

Belgium

Nice video !  When are you going to treat us all with some views of Lairig Ghru and some of the hills surrounding it ?
2016-3-31
Use props
PageRunner
lvl.1

United Kingdom

GM01 Posted at 2016-3-31 19:19
Nice video !  When are you going to treat us all with some views of Lairig Ghru and some of the hill ...

HI GM01,
Well, I've just invested in a backpack so I can go wandering a little further away. As I get braver and fitter, I do hope to do a lot more filming in the wonderful landscape around here.
Thanks for looking.
2016-3-31
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Sorry, I don't see any jello effect here.  I DO see a strobing effect caused by high frame rate.  Jello is when your video (or portions) look like ripples in water.  An ND filter should help the strobing I see here.  Nice video.  I also had the question about the top of the hill, which you answered.  I had wondered if it had anything to do with fire, but it also has LOTS of rock.  
2016-3-31
Use props
PageRunner
lvl.1

United Kingdom

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2016-4-1 01:14
Sorry, I don't see any jello effect here.  I DO see a strobing effect caused by high frame rate.  Je ...

Hi Gary and thanks for the posting. IN the brief periods between snow and rain up here, the light can get very intense so the frame rate is going very high. I'll be investing in some ND filters soon.
They do burn out the heather on the hills here to encourage new growth each season, but some of the hills are just very rocky.
2016-4-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules