Poor performance after update.
871 7 2016-3-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rcfiddy1
lvl.1

United States

I got my I1 back in October and have been on current updates but it seems as if this last update has caused a very bad decrease in performance. In particular, the I1 will drop in altitude if a breeze blows on it, also when in forward flight I must maintain a constant up on the pitch no matter how much forward angle is applied. Today was worse than ever. We have some gusty winds at 10-15mph and the I1 will drop 10-20 feet when they hit.
2016-3-31
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

RC fiddy 1,  You mean you must add power ( Left Stick Forward ) when forward  Pitch  (Right Stick Forward ) is applied, is that correct?   If so These are a few things I would do , first do a IMU calibration and Compass calibration.  

When you do the IMU calibration make sure surface is perfectly level, check with a level and adjust as necessary.  After calibration starts stay away for at least 10 minutes because even the floor vibration can affect proper calibration of the aircraft,  do it indoors and stay away from as much metal as you can.   When doing compass calibration do it in a wide open field away from ANY METAL,  make sure transmitter is at least 15 feet away as well, no wrist watch or change in pocket as well,  keep in mind that concrete sometimes has metal" re- bar " in it, so a open field is your best bet.    Once you set these there is no need to keep repeating.  Only if you travel more than 100 miles from the calibration site or after a hard landing or firmware update is it really necessary.  Do it once and do it properly.

After you do these I would also do a RC calibration ,this is fairly simple and is on the Go app . In RC settings.  Also check all of the Gains and Expo settings and make sure they have not changed.  You could even turn up the gains about 10% to start.  I think the problem lies in the calibrations , I would start there and then adjust the gains if you dont get success.  Remember the Higher the number in Gains and Expo the more responsive the aircraft is going to be and the lower the numbers or % the More Mushy Or unresponsive the craft will be .  Make sure the Gains have not dropped, the default is 100%for Pitch, Roll, Yaw, and vertical.  Gain is how the aircraft reacts to forces when there is no Imput from the RC transmitter, How it reacts to wind and Up drafts and down drafts as well.  All of the settings must be monitored in" standby mode" or they will indicate 0 on some of the settings . ( Flight ready , like right before takeoff, all system on )

Make sure the updates are current, the latest update did not effect the ( 1.7 was a camera update on the inspire 1 )  aircaft, but did effect the RC  You have the update complete on the RC Transmitter as well correct ?

good Luck- brother donnie  ................Keep me posted

2016-3-31
Use props
I1ADDICT
lvl.2

United States

Donnie Posted at 2016-3-31 12:49
RC fiddy 1,  You mean you must add power ( Left Stick Forward ) when forward  Pitch  (Right Stic ...

I got some GREAT stuff outta this Donnie...so much so I copied it into an email and sent it to myself for future questions.  So I had to give ya some love brother.  This is what I love about this community...the outpouring of help and selflessness really does restore some faith in humanity.

Thanks for all the great info in here.  You and Harb are some real good guys and always got a place to fly and hang your hat if you're ever in my neck of the woods (Oregon).  :THUMBSUP
2016-3-31
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
United States

I1ADDICT Posted at 2016-3-31 16:38
I got some GREAT stuff outta this Donnie...so much so I copied it into an email and sent it to mys ...

Thanks for the invite,  I have another really good Gem that I found.  I use it for reference all the time.  It is for a Phantom, but many concepts cross over, give it a minute to load and then scroll down . A lot of good well explained data.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/10tozj ... ry%20Guide.pdf?dl=0

Cheers Brother,  From East Lansing Michigan- Brother Donnie
2016-3-31
Use props
rcfiddy1
lvl.1

United States

Donnie Posted at 2016-3-31 15:49
RC fiddy 1,  You mean you must add power ( Left Stick Forward ) when forward  Pitch  (Right Stic ...

Thanks, I did everything you mentioned and was able to see some positive results. Just some hovering since I am in my yard but the wind was gusting up to 25mph and the I1 seemed a bit more locked in on the lateral movement  but it still had some altitude drop when it would gust.
2016-3-31
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
United States

rcfiddy1@verizo Posted at 2016-3-31 17:26
Thanks, I did everything you mentioned and was able to see some positive results. Just some hoverin ...

When you have wind like that you are going to have some movement.  Just see how much the GPS is working put it in ATTI mode for a moment, than you will see some dips, dives and drifts.  

Thanks for getting back to me, appreciate that

-brother donnie
2016-3-31
Use props
mmassar64
lvl.2
Flight distance : 176335 ft
United States

I think back in the 1.30.0 they changed something that did have  the effect of bobbing up and down before it was rock solid with little to no effect in calibration.
2016-3-31
Use props
Farnk666
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1711394 ft
Australia

Ok, IMU calibration does require a known level surface but is not affected in any way shape or form by proximity to metallic objects.
This myth keeps being repeated over and over again.

Regarding compass calibration, there is no need to remove coins, keys and such from your person when performing the cal. Absolutely no need.
Do you need to keep clear of large metal objects? Yes, will some change or car keys in your pocket make a difference? No.

Compass calibration is not affected by hard landings - IMU calibration can be affected by trauma and excessive vibration but not Compass cal.

Please keep the advice accurate and relevant - spreading misinformation, even if well intended does not help the community.
2016-3-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules