Flight Limits - Fences?
2357 9 2015-1-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
david
New

United States

Hi All...I know that the latest firmware update added the limitations of flying around an airport...but I also noticed 'flight limits' and 'home fences'.

I would like to set up a scenario that would limit the boundaries my UAV will fly...so say I have a 10 acre site, I don't want it to leave those 10 acres for any reason and would like to set up an invisible fence that it will not cross. Is this possible with the latest updates? If so, which is it? Flight limits?

If not, is it something that DJI is looking at developing or is the API open to the point of allowing us to add it ourselves?

Thanks for your help!

-D
2015-1-13
Use props
DJI-Autumn
Second Officer

China

Hi David,

Sorry that your description confuse me a little bit. Could you pls draw a diagram of your ideal flying range?
2015-1-14
Use props
david
New

United States

DJI-Autumn Posted at 2015-1-14 20:07
Hi David,

Sorry that your description confuse me a little bit. Could you pls draw a diagram of your ...

I work for a construction company...we have a typical project site of 5-10 acres square. I want to program the UAV to not leave it's 'yard' so to speak. I want to make an electronic boundary around my construction site that the UAV cannot leave.

Similar to it losing speed and altitude as it nears an airport, I'd like the same to happen as it nears its site boundary. Ideally, it would just hit an invisible 'wall' and GPS would not allow it to travel any farther once certain coordinates are met.

Does that make sense?
2015-1-14
Use props
gil
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

Flight Limits in the pilot app is about the closest you can get to a "fence" (pg 45).
Inspire_pg45_FlightLimits.gif
2015-1-14
Use props
david
New

United States

So lateral distance from a starting point is fine for now...but I feel like we have the technology to (via gps) state a boundary and have the UAV not cross it. The fact that we can set waypoints to fly TO and take pictures/video suggests that we can do the opposite...i.e. 'don't fly beyond these waypoints'

Does that seem unreasonable?
2015-1-14
Use props
Blade_Strike
Second Officer
Flight distance : 872694 ft
  • >>>
United States

I would expect this to be possible, especially if the sdk becomes available
2015-1-14
Use props
pauldean85
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Dynamic Geo-Fencing?

I guess DJI could add such a feature as an extension of the ground station functionality that will hopefully come later on.

It could work by plotting waypoints over your map to create a closed shape that the Inspire cannot leave?

Purely hypothetical and I've over-simplified it, but this would be an awesome future feature.
2015-1-14
Use props
david
New

United States

Exactly...I feel like this would assist in keeping the FAA happier as well to combat 'runaway UAV's'. I feel like it should be possible without much additional code...it's similar enough to the airport concept and should be able to reference the waypoint features already available. Just need to tell it to 'not cross' instead of 'go to' them.

Can anyone from DJI comment?
2015-1-14
Use props
abe
lvl.4
Flight distance : 524032 ft
  • >>>
United States

I believe that exact funtionality exists now in the Pilot app. You can draw with your finger an area (i.e. circle, square, etc.) directly on the map, and the Inspire will stay within that area. I haven't tested it personally as I have no need for it, but you should be able to easily try it.
2015-1-14
Use props
abe
lvl.4
Flight distance : 524032 ft
  • >>>
United States

Watch the first video at beginning at 29:00

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2319031
2015-1-14
Use props
Advanced