Tip over on landing..
1641 16 2016-4-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Capt. Wild Bill
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1319180 ft
  • >>>

Flying a few days ago and the wind was gusting at around 15 mph. On the last flight of the day my P3P had a landing tip over.
There was no damage to the quad, but I noticed to owf the blades got dinged up a bit. Here's a picture of the blades, you can see the small chips, I
was wondering if these are still okay to fly with. I have several other sets, but if they're still okay why change them out..

Opinions?
blade.jpg
2016-4-10
Use props
Nicola90s
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3060869 ft
Russia

Hi!

Mhm...I know that carbon fibres propellers are more expensive than normal one, but why risk for whole aircraft?
2016-4-10
Use props
Gabe R
lvl.4

Did you do auto land? Land and do CSC to shut off motors?
2016-4-10
Use props
Gabe R
lvl.4

United States

Hold down left stick for 3 seconds?      In the future I would suggest doing a hand catch when it's windy, make sure to practice it several times on a day with zero wind to get the hang of it, once you master that you'll never have to worry about it tipping over. I personally hand catch it every time. If the land is un level it's also possible to do a hand launch but that's a little more tricky.
2016-4-10
Use props
Tmygun
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2972497 ft
  • >>>
United States

The blades will probably be out of balance now and will cause a vibration in the aircraft.  
That puts more strain on the motors themselves, and on the whole P3.
I would not take the risk.
2016-4-10
Use props
Capt. Wild Bill
lvl.4
  • >>>

Gabe R Posted at 2016-4-10 20:44
Did you do auto land? Land and do CSC to shut off motors?

It was pretty windy, but nothing I hadn't flown many times before. I was landing manually & the quad had just touched down. And at the same time I'm shutting down, it tipped backwards. In fact, the motors shut down a second or two after it fell backwards....
2016-4-10
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
Flight distance : 518084 ft
United Kingdom

If you have a chip in the leading edge of a prop, it'll act as a stress raiser & could potentially cause the blade to fail eventually.  A risk vs. cost analysis would suggest you bin the damaged ones.
2016-4-10
Use props
Capt. Wild Bill
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

nigelw Posted at 2016-4-10 11:10
If you have a chip in the leading edge of a prop, it'll act as a stress raiser & could potentially c ...

I chucked  'em.
I started the quad up & the rotor sound was noticeably different than prior to the tip over...
2016-4-13
Use props
G_MEZ_G
lvl.3

United States

Capt. Wild Bill Posted at 2016-4-14 00:04
I chucked  'em.
I started the quad up & the rotor sound was noticeably different than prior to the ...

Good Call !
2016-4-13
Use props
knupla2
lvl.3
Flight distance : 922 ft
United States

First, props are cheap.
Next, I stopped landing on the ground after three such tipovers and have posted a couple of them at the moment they went over.  I hand catch now and have no problems at all.  
2016-4-13
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Change then, not worth the risk. I don't think there will be any issues just not worth the risk.
2016-4-13
Use props
topleader
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3127336 ft
United States

Mine tipped over when it is new by landing it manually with no wind on a flat surface.  2 props got chipped which can throw the props out of balance and you can get unwanted vibration. I always autoland now even on a windy day and never had a problem since.
2016-4-13
Use props
knupla2
lvl.3
Flight distance : 922 ft
United States

For those that don't really understand how a tipover happens.  Here's a video of my buddy take his first flight with my P3P.  It was a little ugly - as expected - but he did OK for a first time.  Notice I'm watching the controls to make sure he's only on the left command stick and slowly descending.  It you got to 6 minutes, you'll see clearly what happened [the part before that is uneventful].
Ask me again why I hand catch ------

2016-4-13
Use props
quickpoint
lvl.4

United States

Capt. Wild Bill Posted at 2016-4-13 12:04
I chucked  'em.
I started the quad up & the rotor sound was noticeably different than prior to the ...

Any noticeable prop damage is bad.  Any Nicks in them they are shot.   I inspect my props after each flight.  After 10 hours of flight I'll replace them no matter what.  Carbon fibers I would say 15 hours.   Still waiting on CF for the p4.   

I know I'm chucking props that will still be fine with service life and no damage but no chance in risking.   Few dollars for plastic. 15-20 for cf?  Very worth playing it safe.
2016-4-13
Use props
G_MEZ_G
lvl.3

United States

knupla2 Posted at 2016-4-13 15:47
For those that don't really understand how a tipover happens.  Here's a video of my buddy take his f ...

In my opinion, it looks like he wouldn't commit to the land or fully press the throttle all the way down, instead it just hovered a tiny bit off the ground and eventually the wind tipped it over.
2016-4-13
Use props
G_MEZ_G
lvl.3

United States

So do you like the Carbon fiber props? Noticeable differences?
2016-4-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules